I have just got back from staying at the Charming Hotel. While, the staff are lovely and are very keen to help, I just want to fore warn anyone of the following who are thinking of staying here.
During our recent stay here, we pre-paid a ‘suite’ room prior to arriving, which was based on the photos showed on a reputable travel website ($32 USD a night). Upon checking in, we were given one of the hotels smallest rooms which unfortunately would have been equivalent to their cheapest room (standard at $22 USD) which had a window looking directly onto a wall. Of course we weren’t happy after they showed us to our room seeing that we paid for their best and biggest room, the ‘suite’. It was frustrating when the hotel staff was trying to ensure us that this was their suite room, but we knew this not the case, and suspected they were being untruthful.
After they showed us a second room, which was also suppose to be the suite, we knew there was something fishy going on. The hotel then told us that there were already some people in the true suite room, but are still in there for an extra night due to their flight being delayed. We said fine, can you kindly put them in a cheaper room, to give us the room that we actually booked. After a bit more dialog, the hotel changed its story to say that other travellers are still in the same ‘suite’ room which they rightfully booked, and they were meant to be in that room until they left the night after which is when their flight was leaving. They said the hotel staff made a mistake, and that they accidentally double-booked this room. At this point, we were tired of playing these games and listening to their ‘stories’ which were constantly changing and making no logical sense. We asked them to organise the room we have booked or we want a full refund and will leave. They promptly promised to get the room ready. So after an hour, we went back to the hotel where the room was ready for us to view. However, this room was still not a suite… but a slightly bigger room with a real window. This we learnt was the best room in the hotel but was no way a ‘suite’ room. In fact, all the rooms in this hotel were nothing like the pictures as displayed on their website (and other websites for that matter). We did find that the user photos from Tripadvisor are accurate, so please use these as a guide!
The rooms in this hotel are actually good value for this price range, so I still recommend to stay there. They are clean, and have had recent (fairly recent) renovations to them. They have LCD tv's, and the bathrooms are good (nice big rain showers), though the water pressure could have been a little stronger. The shower in the bathroom doesn't have a cubicle, so the bathroom floor get's pretty wet, but this is the same as most hotels in this area and price range.
Speaking of price range, from what I saw, they had 3 different room types, regardless of what websites you’ve seen:
1. Cheapest, smallest rooms they have a window that looks directly onto a wall, so not really a window at all - I guess these are the $22 USD ones.
2. Bigger room, but no windows - I guess these could be the $25 USD ones.
3. Medium size room, has a window that looks straight across the alley onto the building's opposite, or out over the roof-tops – this was the room we stayed in, and we ended up paying $25 USD a night for it.
The hotel website shows 4 different room types, though I don't know what the other one could be. I recommend not paying anymore then $25 for a room.
Like I said, the rooms are great value, and the staff are keen to help (albeit like to tell stories). I would still recommend this hotel to people looking to spend around this price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the centre of Hanoi old city, Hanoi Charming Hotel offers beautiful and spacious rooms with nice view of Hanoi old street. Hanoi Charming Hotel is equipped with all amenities that you expect such as air-conditioning, international standard elevator, Internet ADSL, cable television, mini bar and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hanoi Charming Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.