“Brilliant stay!”
Review of Hanoi A1 Hotel

Hanoi A1 Hotel
Ranked #104 of 651 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here twice we loved it! Good location! Our first stay was better as the room was higher up and had a window! All the rooms are the same however the second room had no window! This did not bother us as it was really dark for sleeping! Some rooms are by the stairs so passing traffic can be noisy but again not a big deal! Clean rooms with comfy bed, tv, walldrobe snd fridge! Lovely bathroom with powerful shower! We had room service which was good! Breakfast ok! Good choice! Wii fi very strong connection and access to two computers in lobby with printer! Staff very welcoming and helpful without being overbearing! Would def recommend and stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Greenseahorse1
MAIVANTHU, Manager at Hanoi A1 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear Barbara carboni

Thank so much for your review The Hanoi A1 Hotel!
We are indeed fortunate to serve you, We hope that you had a happy holiday in Vietnam.
The boy, the bell man at night (Mr.Thanh) want to send greetings to you, he keeps referring to you in the story of his guests that he was most impressed. he called you a polite Italians.

Good luck and health.
Chao (CHAOS is it like in Italian?)

Best Regard

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Hanoi A1 hotel. We've stayed in 2 other hotels in Hanoi, but since we discovered the Hanoi A1 hotel we always come back, for the following reasons:
- The staff are very helpful and friendly. (e.g. when my suitcase was broken they went with me to find a repairman, and helped negotiate the price).
- We like the location - it's in the old quarter, and just a few minutes' walk to the lake, shops and restaurants.
- The hotel is clean, and the rooms are comfortable with aircon, free wifi, good shower, TV and kettle.
- Breakfast is included - fresh fruit, toast, juice, and a choice of omelet, pancakes, eggs, pho, etc.
- It's quite cheap, good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne F

Hi Annie, and Mr Phua

So happy to read your review about our hotel. That is all what we expected.
Thank you very much.
Did not saying much, because simply, we treat you and Mr Phua as family members Hanoi A1 Hotel.
We look forward to the day you return.
Thanks for all the days past has supported us.

Best Regards
Tony Nguyen (or as you call me: Huy)

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We booked this hotel solely on the positive reviews.
Our first impression was positive,we had flown from Na Trang. We booked a deluxe room with balcony, staff very welcoming.
Then we got to the room which was very small and the bed was practically against the window. My husband had to slide sidewards to get in bed. The bed was solid and extremely uncomfortable. (we have been in Vietnam for 5 weeks and this is the hardest bed we have come across) We found the room very claustrophobic. there was nowhere to store clothes or cases. Maybe we had the only small room in the hotel.
The staff attempted to sell us a trip to Halong Bay and kept saying very good my wife works for this travel agent, I go and book now (very pushy). We have already looked at trips to Halong Bay and knew this was too expensive. When we said no attitudes really changed and we became uncomfortable. There was a building site across the road, they started at 6am.
Breakfast was basic with not much choice.
We decided to look for somewhere else and walked into an hotel around the corner. We could not believe the difference, very welcoming, extremely clean etc.
When we checked out, on the bill was a charge for $90 for a phone call. Yes I know hotels overcharge for phone calls, but come on, $90 for a local call?
They also tried to charge us twice for a taxi which was $18.
I don't know who this wonderful Mr Tony is maybe he was on holiday or maybe we stayed in the wrong hotel.
When we left the hotel they followed us to see where we were going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here !!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cabbing
MAIVANTHU, Manager at Hanoi A1 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear Sheila Key

After read carefully your review we are so sorry and feel deeply ashamed to have created the wrong impression for your vacation. you were in room 601 is the room where we believe the best deluxe room in our hotel, but unfortunately it does not make you happy, this is a difficult problem that we cannot change or make it larger, we accept your complaint for this.
But about the services we provide, we need to clarify the issues as you said, because it is our honor, we do not want to be treated as criminals.

We are so surprise when you said you have to pay $90 for a domestic call. Even we never charge the phone when customers call less than 5 minutes, so the collection of $ 90 for a phone call is the thing we never do. We provide services in a humane way. We never thought that do everything to make money from our customers.
In the hotel lobby we have a camera system to record all activities of the reception, we review the activities in the morning on 16/07/2012, when you check out and let you know the details as follows .
You check out at 7h58 'am on 16/07/2012
You paid 25.000VNĐ for two soft drinks, (the night before you paid ready for room charge and transfer service) and without any charges $ 90 for other services.

After you check out, our porters look forward to helping you bring luggage cross to the road, and just want to make sure you safely reach to other hotel, we really do not intend following you to know where are you will stay.

Once again apologize to you, because of these complaints that you have suffered,

Reviewed June 26, 2012

I really don't know why this hotel is placed way down the list on Tripadvisor! Perhaps I had been swayed by some of the reviews from one of the hotel booking engines!

Nevertheless, my experiences were very positive. I was welcomed at 9am after an overnight flight from London! They honoured my requests (high floor with balcony). The room was not ready so early in the morning, but I was treated to a complimentary breakfast and promised that my room would be ready within the hour.

No problem with the deluxe room. It was a bit tight to set up a space for my laptop where I could see the TV and view at the same time but after moving an armchair, all was fine!

Tony the manager greeted me later and found me an overnight tour of Halong Bay on Avalon Tours which ended up being the highlight of the whole trip! The rest of the staff were also very helpful especially the young lad who had to wake up early himself to give me an early morning call on my last day.

Locationwise...this hotel is excellent! A 3 minute walk to the Water Puppet Theatre as well as lots of entertainment and shopping nearby. Taxis don't have a problem finding it, either should you wish to venture out further. I used to get them to drop me off at the Puppet Theatre and stroll back to the hotel.

Lots of activity in the street outside. Many shoe shops and the road is very busy during the day. I had no problem sleeping probably because I was on a high floor but thing die down around 10pm as there are no bars immediately below.

The internet worked fine apart one day. They called a technician in and fixed it. Use of the PCs in the lobby was complimentary.

I would certainly recommend the Hanoi A1 to any short-term visitor to Hanoi. Great staff and excellent value for money!

Ohh and by the way! I had a very early morning flight to Bangkok on my last day with a 6am departure from the hotel! They prepared a snack box for me with biscuits and fruit as the breakfast room was not open! A great touch!

Room Tip: Try the Avalon Tours that the hotel sells! Good value and if you're lucky enough to have a guide...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Greekbrit

How are you.
Thank so much for your review, we have tried, but the nice words you have for us is indeed much more than what we were doing.

We are delighted you enjoyed your experience at our hotel and hope we will have an opportunity to welcome your back when you next visit Hanoi.

Good luck to you and hope to have an other opportunities seeing you.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

This hotel was right in the middle of everything, just around the corner from the Water Puppet
Theatre.
The boys at reception were great and very helpful and could speak good English which made
things easier for us.
There were a lot of good restaurants in walking distance.The breakfast was basic but adequate.
Try and get a room at back of hotel as front can be noisy in the morning.But overall we had a
very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of building better, front ones a bit of street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
MAIVANTHU, Manager at Hanoi A1 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

Dear Mr and Mrs. DALE HALL

Thank you for taking us with praise, we are really happy.
The boys at the reception were commonly referred to you, and they do not end the discussion of your house, it was beautiful. And is a place worth living.
Unfortunately when you say that it will sell,

Please always remember the boys in Hanoi A1. Because they will always remember you.

With best regards.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I highly recommend this hotel. Sir Tony and the whole staff of Hanoi A1 Hotel took good care of my mom and me during our four day stay in Hanoi. They made sure that we were comfortable, happy and safe.
Their breakfast was delicious. I loved the rice noodle soup with beef the most. The fresh fruits are to die for. I must say that I started off each day with a full stomach. We were definitely well fed.:-)
Our room is very clean and is kept clean daily. Everyday, someone comes in and makes the bed, cleans the bathroom, replenishes the toiletries and gives us fresh towels. There’s also daily supply of drinking water and coffee sachets that we can enjoy in our room. At the end of each day, we always come home to a place that looks and smells fresh and clean.
Getting a taxi from the hotel wasn’t a problem. They got one for us shortly after making the request.
The location is perfect. It’s close to everything. It’s a stone’s throw away (2 minute walk) from Hoan Kiem Lake, the Water Puppet Show, cheap souvenir shops and authentic Vietnamese restaurants. In fact, there’s one restaurant five to six doors away from the Hanoi A1 Hotel that serves Bun Cha and Nam. It’s very cheap and very delicious. Aside from the restaurants and shops, it’s also very near the night market (which happens every Friday night) and Highland Coffee. This coffee place was recommended by the staff. It’s the building across KFC, on the third floor above ALDO. If you fancy a cozy, quiet coffee place that gives you a breathtaking view of Hoan Kiem Lake, then this is the place for you.
You can also walk to the opera house. It’s not that far. I decided to go on a photo walk one afternoon. I set out to the opera house using the inner streets and back to the hotel through the main thoroughfare by the Haon Kiem Lake. It was awesome!
The staff gave me a user friendly map that helped me find my way around the Old Quarter. With this, came a list of restaurants and must see sites for travelers. This came very handy especially during the day while my mom and I were sight seeing.
We will always have fond memories of Hanoi and Hanoi A1 Hotel. We will definitely come back here on our next visit.
You should come and visit them, too. You’ll love it here!

To Sir Tony and the whole staff of Hanoi A1 Hotel, thank you so much for your kindness and your excellent service. We truly appreciate all your hard work. It was such a pleasure meeting you all. You're all doing a terrific job!

Room Tip: We got a superior room on the first floor. It's the same floor as the dining hall. It worked wel...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ayesha C
MAIVANTHU, Manager at Hanoi A1 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Dear Ayesha Castro and Moon.

Thank you very much, we have tried, but the nice words you have for us is indeed much more than what we were doing. We always smile on you, and we also realize that you smile more when we meet, everyone are recognize that you have a nice smile and gentle.
Apparently, someone in Hanoi A1 Hotel said with me that he missed you! ^.^!
It's hard for us to come to the Philippines and meet you there, but it's easy for you to come back to Hanoi A1 and visit all of us.
We will wait for you, no matter how long is it.
Send to your mother my big hug.
And my kiss on your cheek.

Take care
Sealed with the kiss.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

we stayed there for 3 nights, we really enjoyed our stay, the room and bathroom were clean and comfortable, but the room need a small table to put the luggage.
Recommend the room with balcony, city view or lake view, it's amazing.
Breakfast is made to order.
Airport transfer is ok.
The hotel is within walking distance to every thing you'd want to see in old quarter, hoan kiem lake and water puppet theatre are just a block away.
Will visit here again next year with my big family.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
MAIVANTHU, Manager at Hanoi A1 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear Sugijanto
How are you.
Thank so much for your review The Hanoi A1 Hotel!

Good luck to you and hope to have an other opportunities seeing you.

Kindest of regards