“Descent Place to Stay for Business”
Review of Hanoi Hotel

Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #238 of 597 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed in this Hotel for three days during my business visit to Hanoi. The Hotel is pretty descent if you wish just to have a comfortable stay after a day full tiring meetings. You can find a beautiful lake nearby this hotel and its a good place to have a walk in its banks. I was suprised to see people even do fishing in the night here. The negative part is that you dont have Swimming pool in this hotel but it is countered by the famous Hanoi Night Club situated in the first floor here. Good Music and overly priced drinks are available. Other than this you dont have any hangouts nearby and most proxime restaurants (incl. KFC) do not accept credit cards. Except the receptionist there is no one conversant with English.

1  Thank Rahul36

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here for a week or so. The rooms are very well equipped for business. At least the rooms designated for business stays have a living room that is separate from the bedroom, which is great for working from the hotel. The Internet was seamless and there's a business centre in the lobby. Spoken English of all staff I dealt with ranged from appropriate to very good.

The hotel itself is a bit old and a bit stuffy. I don't like AC personally but i had to use it because the high-rise windows do not open. At least not when I stayed there, but at the time of my stay they were replacing windows for noise reduction. Hopefully they have incorporated oxygen choices into those plans.

For ambience, really, in this hotel you could be anywhere in the world. You can't tell you're in Vietnam, which is a bit of a shame. The food in the restaurants is so-so and VERY expensive relative to the surrounding restaurants and the rest of Vietnam. The hotels and neighborhoods around old town are buzzing and this area really is not. I ate at the little sit out restaurants though a few times. It was buzzing and the food was good and I did not get sick at all. But if you like your comforts there's a little restaurant down the lakeside two blocks from the hotel called 'Be One', or similar. It has English menus and great food at much more 'normal' prices and it has wifi that works very well.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for 3 weeks so far and will be here for one month more. It's a decent business hotel. The receptionist are very nice and speak English. The room is good, and the view from the lake-wing is quite nice. The breakfast buffet is complimentary and there is a variety of choices, western and Vietnamese (and Chinese). There is one Business Centre where I booked my trip to Sapa. They offered 3 trip packs with good price. The Food Centre is so great and I had my dinner there lots of times. I love almost all the Cantonese dishes and they were so authentic! It's easy to get on taxi which is the only available transportation for me and not expensive. The price of laundry is reasonable and it makes my life easier. Overall, it's a good experience.

Room Tip: lake-side is of good view; family room available.
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, mainly for its closer distance with different embassies. This is also why there will not be any huge markets or convenience stores around.

Nevertheless, the accommodation of this hotel is totally fine for me, as a businessman. The building is a little bit old, as i stayed at the old wing. But everything in the room are well-maintained, thus it did not really affect my impression of this hotel.

I did not try the massage and slot center here, but seemingly they look pretty good when i walk by the doors. I guess the night club here is better than than of other hotels nearby, considering its long operating hours ( till 2:30 AM) and great level of entertaining.

The breakfast here is fine, i did not have a chance to try the lunch, but my one friend told me, after i returned back, that the Chinese food here really tastes good. Maybe i will go try once, if i come back here.

One complaint for this hotel is the long distance between the two main buildings and the gym room. It takes me around 5 minutes of walking to there. Also, you have to walk through a comparatively small passageway to the gym room.

Overall, this hotel is good for people who want to make some businesses and have some fun.

Room Tip: Lake wing has better view of the lake, but definitely more expensive
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night for my business for the first time as it was close to my business venue (this was actually the only reason I had to choose this hotel). As other reviewers have mentioned, this is a very very old hotel. To be precise, the hotel has two buildings, old wing and new wing -- my room was in the old wing.

I made my reservation directly with the hotel, and their best offer for the cheapest city-view room was around USD100++ (they said the new wing is at least USD 120++). Well, not much to complain during my stay, but for all these old rooms and facilities, I think the hotel is not worth the price -- I would pay max USD 50 for the room I was given. For the same price, you can have much newer and nicer places easily in Hanoi.

As I mentioned, I had not much to complain though. The room size was ok, room facilities were old but well maintained (though one lump did not work as power cable was broken), decent breakfast, and fair staff service. BUT, overall, old atmosphere of this hotel made me think if I made a right choice.

My only major issue in the room was the power outlet. The room had mixed power plug types at the same time, and it was very difficult to find a power outlet that suited my laptop. I asked a power adapter for my laptop, but it took around 30 mins to reach my room.

If you are looking at this hotel, I would recommend you either (1) to have nice value-for-price hotels (USD 30-60) in old quarter in Hoan Kiem District such as Essence Hotel, Elegance Hotels, Moment Hotels, etc., or (2) to pay extra USD 20-30 to stay in 5-star hotels in Tay Ho or other areas such as Intercontinental West Lake.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Kenyalang
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recommended by my Hanoi friend to be value for money and found that to be quite true. The hotel seems to be very well maintained considering it's one of the oldest hotel in the area. But, I think some real renovation is due pretty soon because I could have injured myself as the bathtub handle came right off even before I deploy any strength. Nonetheless, despite the rather old and small elevator, it's a decent hotel for business traveler.

Room Tip: Deluxe room is good for business traveler, but, choose Lake View room for better scenery.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have just 2 night in this hotel, good view in the lake wing but not good breakfast. Bellman was not helpful when I asked him to help me take a Taxi which one I need but he said with a cool voice. I had to pick up my phone and ordered by myself. All most of staff was not smile with guest, if yes, they smile as an obligatory.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business