“Nice for the price”

Hanoi Serenity Hotel
Ranked #78 of 647 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I have mixed emotions about this hotel. I stayed here for 3 nights before my Halong Bay cruise. The staff are very helpful, but unfortunately their English is not great so they smile and laugh alot, though they are helpful if you need a taxi or a suggestion for dinner. Its unfortunate that in Vietnam its all about getting commission for referring guests so if you ask for a cooking class or a Halong Bay cruise they will only recommend friends, its better to find out for yourself.
The rooms are comfy, but our sheets were not 100% clean, the shower is also one room with the toilet so you basically shower over the toilet and then everything becomes wet. Ask for a high floor as the lower floors are very very loud with all the traffic. Its also a very loud hotel, people constantly banging or running up the stairs.

They have free internet and wi fi, a really nice breakfast. I recommend the banana pancake. Its in a very very busy area of Hanoi, the old quarter. I didnt like the location, it was very noisy all the time, but then again Hanoi is noisy all the time.
It was a good base for our 3 days, and it is at the high end of the scale for a 2 star hotel at $25 US a night for a standard double. The staff were very very nice and let us have our room for another day for free of charge as our flight didnt leave until 9pm.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank Pinkpeonie

Reviewed October 3, 2009

The room is clean, plenty of advises on out of town tours. The host recommended really good restaurants, and they also arranged a pick-up to go to the airport from a restaurant. It is good place to stay.

Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed in the Serenity Hotel for an initial 2 nights with 2 rooms but increased it to 4 as my friend and I continued our trip across Vietnam using Hanoi and the Serenity Hotel as our base. The rooms are basic but I have no complaints at all, I admit there were a few minor problems with my friends’ room but they are minor and we didn’t travel for nearly a day to sit in a hotel room and watch TV! But above and beyond all of this you need to place in context the price that you pay, $20 US per double bedroom which works out to the equivalent of £12.50 GBP, you couldn’t for love nor money find a hotel equipped with TV/AC/Shower and Breakfast in the centre of a town for that money in the UK. But if that wasn’t good enough the staff were amazingly friendly and I honestly believe that to be true, they were always happy and smiling and willing to recommend places and have a chat with you. Yes the hotel doesn’t have a lift but will the walk kill you? And never the less the young guy who works there (sorry don’t know his name) is more than happy to take your bag to your room or even collect it for you, even if you had 3 steps still to walk down he would still try and help you. He also acts as security late at night and no matter what time you turn up and wake him, he is still happy to see you.

I knew that the Serenity Hotel offered a tour operating service and was very happy when the next day after our arrival Mr Son sat down with us to go over our options and discovered we could cover more than we anticipated, we never would have been able to successfully do this without Mr Son’s help. He booked every aspect of our 15 day trip in Vietnam including hotels, taxi’s, trains and flights. I appreciate that they make a commission from booking these trips but it was worth the 3 quarters of an hour that we spent organising this, rather than the potential day trying to organise it ourselves and the inevitable struggle we would have had with that. To add I also fell ill with a 24 hour bug meaning I had to stay an unplanned extra night in 1 of the booked hotels, and not travel to our planned next destination. Naturally I expected to have to pay for that extra night, this didn’t happen, Mr Son found out I was ill and cancelled my hotel in the next city and used that money to pay for my unforeseen extra 1 nights stay. He did this without me even asking him and he called me at my hotel room to say that he had done it, he also organised another taxi to meet me at my next destination at no extra cost to me. If this hotel and its staff were not genuinely helpful people, why would they do this? You would never ever get service like this in any hotel in England or even in Europe for that matter. The rooms may not be amazing but I stayed there because I felt comfortable, I liked the staff and they offered amazing service. The beds may be hard but that is the Vietnamese tradition, their bathrooms may become wet rooms when you have a shower but this is their tradition; respect this minor difference in routine in your life and experience what true customer service and hospitality really means. The staff at the Serenity Hotel even came out on the street to wave us off on our last day, so thanks very much to you all.. Hotels in UK & Europe take note you should be embarrassed.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I really wanted to like this hotel a lot more than I did. The staff were absolutely delightful and I do want to give them a good review. However some things weren't that great and I think they should be pointed out.

We booked the cheapest room and when we got to the hotel, we realized cheapest means the room does not have a window. We asked to be switched and for a $5 increase in the price per night and were given a huge room on the 5th floor with an enormous window. I think the window was the best part of the room actually. It looked out onto Hanoi and we really enjoyed sitting by it and observing the people below.

The bathroom was tiny and a typical Vietnamese situation where the shower head hangs over the toilet. A lot of these types of bathrooms don't drain very well, so the floor ends up being wet for the rest of the day. Luckily this particular bathroom drained very quickly, but as a westerner I still prefer the normal (to me) shower over the tub combination.

The airconditioning in the room didn't seem to work well. It never felt cold enough. The TV also didn't work. When we asked, we were told that the issue with the TV affected the entire block. It's entirely possible, but was mildly annoying.

The good things about the hotel are the staff, amazing free breakfast, and spotless rooms. The breakfast definitely went above and beyond normal free breakfasts at Vietnamese hotels. There were Vietnamese delicacies and Western staples and watermelon juice! I was very impressed with the food.

Also, I could tell that the staff genuinely wanted us to have a good experience at their hotel and that's why I feel bad writing anything negative at all. However at $30 a night, there are other hotels in the area that are just more comfortable and of better value.

Nonetheless, like my title says, this place has a ton of potential and I think with a few tweaks it can deliver.

4  Thank wanderlustinwithsun
Reviewed September 29, 2009

was assigned to this hotel by Hanoi Guesthouse. The room is big and clean, toilet a bit small with no designated shower area (water splash all over). The only bad thing about my room was it is a smoking-room, so, very smell really bad. The non-smoking room that they showed me is in 5th floor, without lift, I am phobia with climbing up n down.
Mr Son is extremely "over" friendly when try to sell me the Halong Bay Package. I always step back when someone "act" that way, it makes me feel that they are not sincere and trying to squeeze money out of me.
I am quite right, when the price that he quoted is slightly (USD2) more than what Hanoi Guesthouse offering. Anyway, it is negligible small.
I would recommend if you are getting it with cheap price. I am paying USD16 for a double room, with single occupancy.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Travel_freak_mas
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Arriving in early morning after a long walk through Hanoi with our heavy backpacks just to book a trip to Halong-bay-as we had heard that Serenity does this excellently- first thing the staff offered us was a perfect breakfast and a shower -just as a service to make us feel comfortable. (Travellers in the tropics know the value of this!)The young and dynamic staff of the Hotel was ever so helpful and friendly that we made the Serenity our home-base when back to Hanoi. We had an excellent, well furnitured, very clean room -as quiet as possible in the old city. Very pleasant to have big windows-a special luxury in Vietnamese Hotels. Coming back from Sapa at 5 am for only a three hours stop in Hanoi we were once again welcome and were offered a room to 'get in shape' again for the next tour- free of charge. The staff of the hotel gave us the feeling of coming to their -our- home. Son, the young manager and Thanh, the receptionist, both speakig good english and all the other staff form a great team: spontaneous, informal, friendly and very helpful. They really seem to have fun in their work. Our well-being and our wishes stood certainly at the first place- something you normally can't take for granted when travelling in countries where you try to travel on low budget though you are regarded to be rich. Serenity-Hotel : an ever so pleasant place to stay (- if you can climb stairs )- the old city of Hanoi at Your doorstep..

1  Thank mamou60
Reviewed September 18, 2009

This hotel cannot be faulted at all. We stayed here as part of our round the world trip and arrived extremely late (our flight had been delayed 5 hours). We had arranged collection from the airport and although when we landed the driver had gone we were allocated another driver within 10 minutes who delivered us directly to the hotel. The staff could not be more apologetic which was amazing given that our delay wasnt their fault!

The room was very clean and spacious with a great view, unfortunately it was on the 6th floor and there is no lift but that was fine. The room had a TV and a comfy bed with clean bedding. The hotel also has free internet.

The following day Mr Son helped us to arrange the remainder of our trip round Asia and everything he promised happened. Also when we had come back from a cruise round Halong Bay they allowed us to use a room to have a shower and change which was most appreciated.

I would definetely recommend this hotel for a stopover in Hanoi and if you need some help planning any further travel then most defintely speak to Mr Son, a genius!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple