“Friendly staff make it better than average” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanoi Serenity Hotel

Hanoi Serenity Hotel
Ranked #68 of 566 Hanoi B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff make it better than average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here with my parents and husband for one night after a long overland journey from Laos. The welcome we received was so lovely and they greeted us with a cup of tea and coffee, gave us a map and talked us through where we were in relation to the sights.

The girl helping us was the most hospitable and helpful person I have met working in a hotel in my 7 months in South East Asia. She really makes the hotel shine (I'm so sorry that I don't know your name)!

We were kindly upgraded, due to availability. The rooms were spacious, clean with huge windows.

The hotel arranged our Halong Bay trip which we did with Dragon Cruise, which we recommend. There were 14 guests in the boat (including us) and the food was outstanding.

When we returned the lovely girl had gone home but the male member of staff offered us tea and coffee and allowed us to use the cafe until our late night train.

The breakfast was average to good- eggs, bacon and baguette. The hotel missed a few touches that would make it just perfect, such as complimentary water, tea/coffee in the room, although they provide us with a kettle and cups?

The rooms were a little damp, but as so spacious and only there for one night,it was no problem at all.

There are many stairs to the top floors,with no lift. If you have a problem walking consider asking for a lower floor. The staff very kindly assisted with our bags.

Overall a great stay for our short trip to Hanoi. A reliable hotel with brilliant service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Letsseetheworld86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We paid $25 a night (inc Breakfast) and had to walk to the 6th floor (no lift) but one of the very friendly staff took our bags. Room was very big, clean and had a great bathroom, computer and cable TV. We stayed for nearly a week and did 2 tours to Sapa and Halong Bay which we organized through the very friendly hotel staff. Wifi downstairs and the lower levels. Breakfast is great and offer laundry for $2 a kilo. Why spend $150 a night when you can stay here? Thank you for the great stay!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Trueman94
Medellin, Colombia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

While a great price, great location and friendly staff, the hotel is plagued by one major issue, the design. There are no sprinklers, no smoke detectors, no second exits. All the rooms are up a single spiral stair case that is rather steep. There is a single fire extinguisher kept on the ground of each stairwell landing. These will do nothing against rising smoke. Also there are items like mattresses and cleaning supplies on the stairwell landings. We stayed on the 6th floor and there was no exiting out the windows. The kitchen is on the ground floor.

In addition to the safety issue, the wi-fi did not work. I could receive emails, but not send. No using any other features of my device that needed wi-fi. There were two computers downstairs, but both were very slow. One night was cold and there was no heat in the room, but they did provide extra blankets.

The staff is really, really friendly. They cook a free breakfast and are very responsive. They set us up with a trip to Halong Bay and made sure we got to the airport no problem. They can recommend places to visit, etc. The location is also very nice because you are really centralized and in walking distance of everything worth seeing.

Unfortunately given the building I don't see much they can do to fix the safety issues. For basically no cost they could install battery powered smoke detectors, but at this point I can't see fixing the other issues without major expense. Granted, I understand in Vietnam safety standards are not the same, but the location simply had issues that make it difficult for me to give a higher rating.

Room Tip: In general the lower the floor the better. The windows are not barred so on the lower floors you may...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Richard_Feenstra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. Expectations were very high and at first I was slightly disappointed when I realised this is actually a budget hotel and you probably get what you pay for. However, then I met the staff and they are so incredibly attentive and friendly. I booked all my trips with them (Halong Bay, Sapa & Perfume Pagoda), they took time to explain what to expect from the trips, were not pushing for anything I did not want.
Rooms are fine, not spectacular. The deluxe rooms have computer, the standard rooms "only" a tv.
I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at the front are somewhat noisy due to traffic deluxe rooms have pc
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Incheon, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great location and people are seriously nice. I only stayed one night, but would consider staying here again. I had a friendly greeting before taken up to my room. I was then offered a free coffee and advice on Hanoi.
I went out that night and was let in at 3am with no hassles. The only fault I found was that the water was not warm. But that is it.
The rooms are nice and spacious, and mine even had a nice view.
The next day I checked out and could leave my bad, and help myself to drinks untill my bus came to pick me up to go to the train station.
The staff are very chatty and nice. So I kept myslef busy for quite a few hours by chatting to them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We reserved a room for $15 a night, which we thought was quite cheap. When we arrived we got a free upgrade to a deluxe room with 3 beds, a window with a view and a simple computer (nice to do some basic online stuff). It was quite clean, though certain small things could use a update (curtains, windowpane...)
Staff was very helpfull, they didn't try to sell us any tours and were not pushy at all. We booked a Halong Bay tour ourselves and we could leave our backpacks in the hotel during our tour. They reserved a cooking class for us which was very nice.
Breakfast was quite basic, but it was OK. Beds weren't very comfortable, but that's the case in all Vietnam hotels.
The room was on the fifth floor, and there's no elevator, so be prepared to do some climbing.
All in all good value.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window, you might get a free upgrade :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

The staff at Serene was one of the most pleasant group we've encountered in our stay in similar range of hotels throughout SE Asia. They always had a smile and a good thing to share and say!!

The hotel was only a few months old when we stayed and the rooms were fresh, decently spacious and well designed. The room even came with a Desktop Computer!!

The breakfast was a nice change and was refreshing to start the first day of 2013 with a well made breakfast. Instead of the typical buffet breakfast with a choice of eggs, the hotel offered a decent range of ala-carte options made fresh by the chefs. We took some crepes (labelled pancakes) which were very good!! The hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast though and you will have to step out for other meals. But in Hanoi food is around every corner : )

The hotel is located in a small bylane and doesn't have direct access for a vehicular drop-off and may be a bit hard to find in the old city streets. However, if you have your bearings rights it's ideally placed from all the heritage trail markers in the old quarter and a perfect location to stay!!

Would stay at Hanoi Serene again if we visit Hanoi!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple