“great place, staff really helpful”

Hanoi Serenity Hotel
Ranked #73 of 588 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Scotland
“great place, staff really helpful”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for a week as a family occupying 2 rooms - one on the first floor and one on the fourth. No elevator but staff carried our cases up to the rooms without us asking them. Both rooms were really big and clean and had big windows with nice views. First floor room had a decent computer with internet access. Showers were boiling hot - if you switched on the heater 10 mins before you intended to use them, as instructed by the staff. Breakfast was western style with eggs and bacon, banana pancakes etc (nine different options were available) with free flowing vietnamese coffee and tea. Tried several from the menu over the week and they were all great. Location is about 10 minutes walk from the Hoan Kiem lake through the main old quarter district. There is a restaurant next door but one and several cafes immediately adjacent. The staff were incredibly helpful. They helped us book trips outside Hanoi. gave us advice for places to go inside the city. Organised taxis to take us to and from the airport. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Would definitely recommend this place and stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

For your trip to Vietnam - should you start in the north - just book the flight and the serenity. All the rest in information for Vietnam you have been searching for to get all the insights you will get from the manager there...
Further the rooms are clean and spacious, the breakfast is basic but more than fine. From the hotel it's just a 5 min walk to the more vibrating backpackers area (which means you will get a good night of sleep).

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank SEAflenz
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We booked with Hanoi Serenity at the last minute and were upgraded for the same price of the basic room.

The rooms are large and spacious, the showers are warm (albeit do cool down over use - this is somewhat commonplace though), reception were friendly and offered some great advice about the city (as well as a good Halong Bay tour) and the breakfasts were delicious.

Room Tip: No elevator, about 100 steps up to the top level rooms (601,602,603); however, the staff seem willin...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SBourkster
Avignon, France
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I booked 2 nights of a standard room for my arrival in Vietnam and I really regret it. The staff is nice, my room wasn't too noisy and the linen was clean, but my bed was so hard that I had the feeling to sleep (I should say try to sleep) on the floor ! And having a cold shower in november is definitly painfull, even in Hanoi !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank sarah r
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Room was clean, all toiletries included. No security box but you can leave your valuables at the reception. They give you map and tips for visits and eating places. They were very helpful when we left our luggage while travelling to Halong Bay and offered us shower after we reaturned to collect it. They also let us stay until 10pm and called a reliable taxi for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katerina G
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I booked a standard room at this hotel and they gave me a free upgrade to a superior room because I requested a window :) The room itself was in ok condition but was always clean with a huge bed, cable TV and WiFi. Biggest downside was that there was constant noise from outside (hooting of horns every minute, as is the way in Hanoi!) Location was a bit of a downside for me as the area was a bit dead at night for restaurants and bars and it was a bit too far from Hoan Kiem lake where the life seemed to be.
All staff were extremely helpful and as I was travelling solo for this part of my holiday, I really appreciated this! They had already booked me onto a Sapa trip as requested by email. On the day I was heading to Sapa, they allowed me to extend my check out time for a few more hours so I could relax in my room before my night train. Upon my return they opened up at 6am so I could pick up my luggage, use the internet and freshen up in the bathroom.
They did my laundry in only a few hours on the first day and actually sent someone out on a motorbike to buy me a Vietnamese sim card as the shops nearby weren't selling any! The lady at reception helped me book a couple of tours for myself and my boyfriend even though we would be staying in another hotel in the city at that time.
Breakfast was simple but variety was good. A fantastic hotel for service and comfort!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Space: The room was clean enough (some limescale in the bathroom), but above all I felt safe. The little gnat-type flies, everywhere in Hanoi, initially concerned me. I found a few of them in the room and on the bed (only because I didn't know what they were I was anxious). The staff were quick to respond, and I had no issues with them. Slept just fine. Wifi is available, but I stayed on the 6th floor and for some reason it didn't work in the room. I did have a nice sized room with city views.

The Tours: They were great helping me to organize my tours in Sapa and Halong Bay. I'm quite satisfied with them, particularly Halong Bay. I'm glad they helped me organize Sapa (quite frankly I got lazy), but it is easy enough for you to go it alone and organize yourself cheaply with very decent lodgings. On Halong bay, I've heard tours range from $90-$260 USD. Look at your budget and go with your gut to see what fits. I splurged with a $260 tour (3 days/2 nights incl. rock climbing option) and it was sooo worth it.

My Thoughts: I had doubts on my first night, but that dissipated soon enough and I enjoyed my stay. The staff were warm, friendly and helpful. They made me feel comfortable and welcome especially when I returned from my tours and needed a quick shower, a nibble, or a break between tours. The level of spoken English by the staff varied; however, be patient because they do want to help. So ask them to explain in detail what to expect each step of the way before setting off on a trip to avoid misinformation.

Room Tip: Throughout Vietnam all rooms will vary in quality and amenities. Feel free to ask to see another roo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo