“Great room, good value but breakfast service needs improvement” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Hotel Hanoi

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #76 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Peron, France
“Great room, good value but breakfast service needs improvement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

This is a very good hotel to stay in for a business trip. The rooms are very comfortable with soft beds and pillows, a comfortable reading chair. The work desk os convenient though the chair was rather low for me. I would have preferred an office chair with adjustable height. The bathroom is excellent though the full window in the shower was a bit of a surprise. Internet connection was very good and was included in my room rate.
Breakfast was a bit frustrating. Nice greeter who sat me down. O immediately asked for goffee and waited and waited. The buffet was great, a good mixture of Asian and western menu items, lots of fruit including large passion fruits. But I was still waiting for my coffee. When it arrived it was well brewed but not really hot.
Frony desk and porter service was excellent. Close to the hotel in easy walking distance are a number of very good restaurants that cater for the local population.
So overall I would rate this as one of the best hotels that I have stayed in this year out of about 15 so far.
I would definitely go back and just hope that they sort out the breakfast service.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank laings
patrickmanthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time and writing your review of our hotel. We are very happy to read that you like our rooms; especially the bathroom and that you enjoyed the variety and quality of our breakfast buffet. I appreciate you mentioning the problems you experienced regarding the breakfast service. I can assure you that we have already looked at this issue in order to provide an efficient and prompt breakfast service. Our goal is to constantly improve on our service levels and your feedback will certainly help us in achieving this.

We are glad to hear that you would stay with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Patrick Manthe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

We spent 5 nights at this hotel in March - hotel has recently been refurbished and room and bathroom decor were excellent. We found the staff very friendly and helpful - they organised for us to do private car tours with a driver and an english speaking guide - taxis to various places of interest etc. We could walk to all city centre attractions from there or take a taxi from the hotel. Taxis were very inexpensive and were metered. Hotel staff gave the taxis instructions about where we wanted to go and what to see. There is a bar and gift shop on the ground floor. Restaurant on the first level which serves breakfasts/ buffets lunches and dinners/a la carte + international cuisines. There is also a gym but from memory no pool. We also organised airport pickup through the hotel and there was a hostess waiting for us on our arrival to take us to the car and proceed to the hotel - all very quick and easy.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kerry45_10
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
We are very grateful for the high marks you have given us especially for the service levels in our hotel. We are constantly trying to improve further and your kind feedback shows us that our efforts are recognized. On behalf of all our team members, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you back again in the future.

Asia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

The hotel is conveniently located near little shops and restaurants. The front desk staff are all helpful and well spoken. I must say though that when we first entered our room on the 11th floor, it looked nice but smelt bad. Like damn towels had been laying there. Once you turn on the A/C, the smell goes away. Also, in that area, there was a lot of construction going on at the building beside - while if you have a road-facing room, the cars honking outside can be REALLY annoying if you want to sleep in (obviously they need double-glass windows to block the constant honking!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelingMermaid027
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, June 6, 2010
Thanks a lot for the review of the property and for pointing out to us the problem you had upon arrival with the air conditioning. We looked into this right away and have found a flaw in the configuration of this unit which we have rectified. I appreciate you mentioning this as this helps us to eradicate any potential problems. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Thanks again.

Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

A very good place just on the outskirts of the old section of town. Pity about the size of the bathrooms, a pigeon would be lucky to have enough room to turn around. Large room and very comfortable and well set up. Staff wonderful. service great. No pool which would have been good considering the warm days. Would go back there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oldie_9
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
I very much appreciate your review of our hotel.
As you outlined, our bathrooms are indeed not the largest but we felt increasing the bathrooms at the expense of having a smaller bedroom would have not been beneficial for our guests. While not large, I believe it is of sufficient size and the shower cubicle in particular is quite generous..

Most important of course for me is the fact that you would stay with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back

Thank you very much.

Perth, Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at the Moevenpick in Hanoi for 2 weeks vacation. They looked after us very well and none of our requests were a problem. The rooms are lovely and the bed was so comfortable that we mentioned it to reception before we left. We would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again on our return in the not too distant future. Thank you to all the staff that made our vacation such an enjoyable one.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeabrookPerth
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, May 15, 2010
We truly appreciate your positive review and the high marks you have given us all around. I am glad to read that you felt well taken care of by our team and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

The hotel has been newly upgraded. The rooms are modern. The breakfast is good and the location is close to restaurants. Overall a good hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank 30CountryTraveller
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Thanks a lot for your review. Consistency is probably one of the most important criteria in the hospitality industry, hence I am glad that you have experienced consistently satisfactory service at our hotel. We certainly will always try to do better but it is always reassuring that the current level of service is at a level that is appreciated by our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed at the Moevenpick after quite extensive research prior to traveling. I always write a review some months after my stay so that "first impressions" do not cloud my report to fellow travelers.

As a Hotel Development professional I feel that I may have some additional perspective on hotel quality around the world..... and my review here certainly backs up the MANY very positive observations on this excellent Hanoi property. I spent 5 very pleasant nights at the Moevenpick which even included an in-depth conversation with Knuth Kiefer, the General Manager, about the challenges and successes of the recent renovation and the business in general.

So, here is the Moevenpick as I see it....
ROOMS
Chic and imaginative design - very contemporary without going "over the top"; normally wooden floor board look does not work in a hotel room but, in this property, they are an inspiration....especially in the bathroom. The beds are of the highest industry standards with mattresses that you would normally only find in a top-end 5* Luxury Hotel. Room facilities such as plasma screen, minibar, phones, air con are all of good quality, furniture are all of very high quality and slightly "querky" design reflecting a higher than 4* experience. Lots of channels on the satellite TV with News in all the various languages and lots of programme choice.
The bathroom is a triumph!!! Very generous size and comfortable layout. Great vanity and basin looking into the bedroom with winged side mirrors. Some guests may prefer a face-on mirror but the wing mirrors are easy to use when watching the News whilst shaving. The toiletries (shampoo, body lotion,etc,etc) are of very good quality and, apart from my razor and shaving gel, I felt no need at all to use my own.
The rain-shower is fabulous as there is sufficient water pressure to back it up. At the end of the day, on full blast, it is ALMOST as good as a massage. Huge fluffy towels finish off the shower experience excellently.
Housekeeping services were professional and discrete. After years of operating and building luxury hotels, believe me, I know how to find dirt, dust and other "nasties". During the 5 days, I found nothing but clean, clean, clean! Well done, Housekeeping!

FOOD & BEVERAGE
I admit that I did not use the restaurant much as my goal was to discover the multiple delights of the Cuisine of Hanoi (which, by the way, is a gastronomic experience of the highest order!!). However, I did enjoy an EXCELLENT buffet breakfast on my final morning before going to the airport. It was varied (Western and Asian), beautifully presented and all that I sampled was to a high standard.
We did spend some enjoyable times relaxing in the Lobby Lounge where the coffee (both Espresso and Cappuccino) were excellent for the Western taste. Vietnamese coffee is definitely an acquired taste that the Moevenpick very sensibly avoids. Stronger drinks are also served in the very relaxing atmosphere during either the early or late evenings.

STAFF
The overall attitude of all of the Moevenpick staff is friendly and efficient. Check-in/out were fast and simple. Housekeeping, Restaurant / Lounge and Front Office staff were all willing to oblige with anything that we required. However, in no way did they seem overtly "pushy" about anything... very professional!
One tip for future visitors...When speaking English, make sure that you speak clearly and a little slowly. There is very little English spoken in Hanoi generally and the Moevenpick FOH staff manage very well but "machine-gun" English will confuse them a little.

SUMMARY
This is not a Hotel that is suitable for back-packers or those on a very tight budget. If however, you as a visitor to Hanoi are looking for a more-than-comfortable respite from the constant rush of downtown Hanoi, The Moevenpick Hotel is certainly very good value for money. I looked at several hotels during my visit and if a visitor were to want anything more comfortable and professionally welcoming than this hotel, then a CONSIDERABLY higher price will have to be paid.

WELL DONE MOEVENPICK.... SEE YOU NEXT VISIT!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Broaders
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, May 5, 2010
Thank you very much for the great review written about our hotel. It is a pleasure to read all your positive remarks and I am happy that you have such a positive impression on our hotel. While we are actually positioning ourselves in the five star market and not amongst the 4 star rated hotels in the city, star ratings in my opinion are generally of little importance as long as guests enjoy their stay, like the facilities and feel that they have received value for the price paid.

I look forward to having the pleasure to welcoming you back again to our hotel in the near future.

Thanks again for sharing your experience on this forum.