“Could be more welcoming”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #81 of 597 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our Hanoi travel plans changed & our original hotel was not availabler a day earlier, so we booked Movenpick 1 day before arrival. Was very pleased with the hotel itself, & would have cancelled our other hotel booking & stayed at Movenpick, except for the check-in greeting of: "Since you booked through Travelocity, your rate is only for our most standard room & does not include breakfast or internet in the room". Since we were paying $100+ we were surprised to learn that we were considered such 2nd class guests. As such, we stayed just the 1 night & moved to our originally booked hotel for the 3 additional nights. The public areas at Movenpick were quite nice, & the room was very pleasant, nicely furnished & appeared to have been recently updated. Bathroom was small, but nicely outfitted, & housekeeping was stellar. Beds were softer than many we experienced in SE Asia, & we liked the location of the hotel. Hats off to Movenpick for "not" carpeting their guest rooms, but using stone & wood floors instead. Filthy room carpet in many hotels is a definite turn off, & a specific reason we do not return to some a 2nd time. Would return, without hesitation to Movenpick, but perhaps book with the hotel directly so we are considered a worthy guest.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank smvhou
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi. We truly value your opinion, as it is from your comments that we are able to uphold our commitment to excellence, thus providing you with customer satisfaction for future visits.

It is certainly never our intent to disappoint our guests or provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and I am sorry that we failed to make a good first impression on your arrival. While I am sure the intent on my colleagues was merely to point out that your rate was exclusive of breakfast and internet, I understand how this may have come across and I hope you can forgive us on this occasion. That point aside, I do appreciate your kind comments regarding the rest of your experience and I am glad that we exceeded your expectations in many areas.

Again, my sincere apologies for failing to provide you with an impeccable visit. We certainly look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back and serving you again in the refined ambiance and service excellence for which we are known and that you as our valued guests have come to expect from residing at our hotel.

There are newer reviews for Movenpick Hotel Hanoi

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel is usually like a fish market - very noisy at the bar, reception, and level 2 where the function rooms and resto are, etc. Very tight and squeezy on L2.

Everything is so spartan. How can a ''luxury'' hotel have no bathtubs in the room, and the bathroom amenities are so limited - no cotton buds, cotton wool, for example. And there is no power point in the bathroom for the hairdryer - the most logical place to have powerpoint. Instead, the nearest one is near to the floor, near the bed! They should seriously do something about the pillows that are so soft and ''disappear'' when your head lies on them.

The breakfast variety and quality is worse. The only resto they have is so disorganised. There was a group meeting and they could not even accomodate all its guest. A waitress even had to take a chair from my table to let the group have lunch. The group had the buffet lunch while me and my guest were there much earlier and ordered a la carte. Yet our food took ages to arrive!

The ''spa'' was a joke. The masseuse did not bother to ask about strength of her pressure and massaged like she was trying to flatten someone with her might. After massaging my hair she proceed to touch my face (with full make up on) to put extreme pressure on my face (whatever happened to hygiene?)! The massage ended as abruptly as it started. The music was so loud in the room it was hardly a relaxing massage.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi. We truly value your opinion, as it is from your comments that we are able to uphold our commitment to excellence, thus providing you with customer satisfaction for future visits.

We take great pride in the level of service and attention to detail that we are able to provide our guests and when their expectations are not met, we have failed in our primary endeavor to ensure both you and future guests receive the service expected of us. I was disappointed to learn that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations or our own service standards. That said I would like to make you aware that we do have rooms with bathtubs and indeed we also have rooms that specifically cater to female business travelers, which feature an enlarged make up mirror, as well as make up remover pads, make up remover lotion and other such useful amenities.

Please call on me when your travel plans bring you back to Hanoi and I will personally ensure that your next experience is flawless. Again, my sincere apologies for failing to provide you with an impeccable visit. We certainly look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back and serving you again in the refined ambiance and service excellence for which we are known and that you as our valued guest have come to expect from residing at our hotel.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was in Hanoi for a business trip last week and stayed at the Movenpick Hotel. Was skeptical about selecting this hotel initially, but have to say that it turned out to be one of the best hotels I have stayed in Hanoi. The rooms are efficient, comfortable and modern. The food was good and the hotel is close to most of the attractions in Hanoi.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ranjit1009
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience and I sincerely appreciate that you have acknowledged so many positive elements of your stay; particularly the comfort and design of our guestrooms, the convenient location of the hotel within the city of Hanoi and the quality of our cuisine. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of timely and quality service delivery that Moevenpick is known for and I am pleased that we have been successful in achieving this during your stay.

Thank you again for your kind words. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 3 weeks in Vietnam. We started our holiday in Hanoi and booked this hotel for 3nights. We loved every aspect of our stay - from the beautiful rooms; great breakfast and excellent location, everything was brilliant.
The bedroom was spacious, modern, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The bed was so comfortable!
Breakfast had an excellent selection of good quality food on display...everything from Pho to a fry. I recommend trying the Pho...its a very good start to the day.
Location was good and we regularly walked into the centre & Old Quarter (about 15mins walk). When the heat got too much we took a taxi which cost little over £1.
Finally - have to mention the service. We arrived at 7.00am after a long and tiring journey & dreading having to wait till 12noon for our room. Thanks to a very attentive Assistant Manager we were allocated a room within 30 minutes - many thanks to David & and his boss Philip. Brilliant!

Room Tip: We had no problem with traffic noise as some earlier reviews noted but a higher room is probably bes...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DM1_10
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your experience on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay; particularly the size and décor of our guestrooms, the quality of our breakfast and the convenient location of the hotel to the main tourist areas. I am also grateful to learn, that despite the fact you were initially told that your room would was not ready before 12 noon, that my colleague David was able to assist you and find an alternative room within 30 minutes.

We appreciate your recommending our property and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi in the very near future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Briefly, very good hotel with high-class rooms and service. Good laundry. Fantastic breakfast. Cannot complain at all.
Some may consider the price too high, given that this hotel is probably one of the most expensive ones in Hanoi. However, I'm willing to pay the price in future if the quality of the hotel stays the same.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Villgraine
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay; particularly the quality of our guestrooms, our breakfast and the laundry service. I am also grateful to know that you feel our product and service is worthy of the price and that we provide good value for money.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is my second trip to Hanoi, and again i'm staying at the Movenpick.

I choose this hotel over several others for many reasons.

1) Location. Business location, its right beside my office. No commutes/no taxi rides/ no need for additional travel around Hanoi just to get to the office.
2) Food Location: Around the Movenpick you won't run out of choices of food. From My Way, to Highlands coffee, Broken rice, Quan An Ngon, local street foods galore. You won't run out of choices to eat, the only limitation is how adventurous you are.
3) Location for seeing Hanoi. Movenpick is along Ly Thuong Kiet st. Its about 10 mins walk between each of the main parks/lakes in the area. You're 15 mins walk to Old Quarter, 20 mins walk to French Quarter, a short taxi ride to west lake, 45 mins from the airport.
4) Service: Of all the hotels i've gone to the service in Movenpick is top notch! From the reception, to the bell boys, to the management team (Dave and Phillip) they make you feel at home. You're always getting personalized messages to greet you when you arive, wish you well when you leave, check if everything is going well. They make you feel welcome and at home.
5) Cost: I get the best benefit for my money while staying at Movenpick, from the additional amenities, free wifi as a corporate guest, free welcome fruits (Daily if you wish), my trip is made more efficient my staying at the Movenpick.
6) Service: The team has helped me get taxi rides to all the places I need to go to, a day tour to Halong Bay etc..
7) Comfort: The rooms are wonderful, the bed is comfortable with great pillows, never had a poor nights sleep. Cable, the hot shower, the room service and guest services are second to none.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will be back, whether for work or pleasure. Movenpick will be my first choice while staying in Hanoi.

If you're looking for a hotel with a central location in Hanoi, excellent service, great food, a comfortable bed and a jump of point to explore the rest of the city, you can't go wrong with Movenpick!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KingBee32

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi. We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you continue to stay with us when your travel plans bring you to the city.

We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and we sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding the many positive elements of your stay that keep you coming back to our property. I was especially grateful for your comments regarding the level of personalized service you received from my colleagues at front desk and at the front door.

Thank you again for your feedback on Trip Advisor, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to continue ensuring your stays with us impress you and provide fond memories of Hanoi.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This Swiss hotel is located within walking distance of Hanoi's Old Quarters and its' main railway station, Ga Ha Noi, both of which take approximately 10-15 minutes of walking to. There are a number of restaurants serving local and international cuisine nearby.

Upon entering our room, we found the furnishings to be French art deco inspired, a fresh change from most hotel's modernist or contemporary modern design. Room size is fairly big with a 40" flat screen television. The bathroom had an enclosed glass shower screen with strong water pressure and good flow of hot water. Cleanliness was good in both the room and attached bathroom. A nice feature in our room was the implementation of international multi-head wall sockets to accomodate a wide range of AC power plugs.

Our room was located on one of the lower floors facing the busy main street but road noise was kept to a minimum due to adequate soundproofing of the windows and thick walls. You still get to hear the occasional honks of the motorbikes and cars down below. If this concerns you, it may be a better idea to get a room at the back of the hotel where it is quieter.

We had the opportunity to sample breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel's Mangosteen Restaurant. Breakfast selection was wide and varied with a good selection of Western and Asian dishes. There's also a fresh juice station with various local fruits to choose from. In the bakery section there were some freshly baked, good tasting pretzels, rolls and baguettes. A nice inclusion was the tasty Bircher muesli and the rather unusual but equally good tasting Dragon Fruit and Banana compote.

As for the the semi-buffet Lunch and Dinner meals we sampled, the overall selection is quite limited (probably due to a lack of patrons?). Selection of the main course, i.e fish, beef or chicken is limited to only 1 choice per customer while the appetizers, salads and desserts are unlimited for you to take. The restaurant does serve some very good bitter Swiss chocolate cakes which are not overly sweet.

It must be noted that there were tiny gnats flying around the dried fruits during breakfast and around the fresh fruits during dinner. Restaurant management should find a way to prevent such pests from getting into the dining room.

Overall we can conclude that breakfast was by far the best meal we had at Mangosteen Restaurant.

We found the hotel's front desk and wait staff to be generally friendly and helpful as were the doormen and bellhops. Bathrooms in the lobby and restaurant were clean and fresh smelling. Some of the hotel's nicer touches include a complimentary platter of fresh fruits which you can order upon check-in to your room, and a sampling of fine Swiss chocolates served at 5pm in the lobby.

The only drawback of this hotel is the lack of free wifi usage in our room. For this privilege you'd have to pay an additional USD$15 per day, an option which we declined. Most hotels of lower or equal category offer free wifi in their rooms nowadays. There is no reason for Movenpick not to offer this facility to its guests considering its room rates are on par, if not higher than those of its' competitors. There is only free wifi connection in the hotel lobby and in its' restaurant.

Overall, we had an enjoyable and satisfactory stay in this Swiss hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GlobeTrekker6
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you chose to stay with us on this occasion. I am grateful to receive your kind words, especially those regarding the convenient location of the hotel, the size of our guestrooms, the quality of our breakfast buffet and the friendly and helpful service you received from my colleagues.

I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding the variety offered at our semi-buffet, for both lunch and dinner. While the appetizers and desserts are on an unlimited basis, we do limit the main course to just one freshly prepared item from our grill, from a choice of five different fish and meats. Please know that it is certainly never our intent to provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations, that said I will use your feedback to ensure we revisit the number of dishes offered on the grill.