“Great Hotel, ideal location.”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #82 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Pasig, Philippines
“Great Hotel, ideal location.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is my second trip to Hanoi, and again i'm staying at the Movenpick.

I choose this hotel over several others for many reasons.

1) Location. Business location, its right beside my office. No commutes/no taxi rides/ no need for additional travel around Hanoi just to get to the office.
2) Food Location: Around the Movenpick you won't run out of choices of food. From My Way, to Highlands coffee, Broken rice, Quan An Ngon, local street foods galore. You won't run out of choices to eat, the only limitation is how adventurous you are.
3) Location for seeing Hanoi. Movenpick is along Ly Thuong Kiet st. Its about 10 mins walk between each of the main parks/lakes in the area. You're 15 mins walk to Old Quarter, 20 mins walk to French Quarter, a short taxi ride to west lake, 45 mins from the airport.
4) Service: Of all the hotels i've gone to the service in Movenpick is top notch! From the reception, to the bell boys, to the management team (Dave and Phillip) they make you feel at home. You're always getting personalized messages to greet you when you arive, wish you well when you leave, check if everything is going well. They make you feel welcome and at home.
5) Cost: I get the best benefit for my money while staying at Movenpick, from the additional amenities, free wifi as a corporate guest, free welcome fruits (Daily if you wish), my trip is made more efficient my staying at the Movenpick.
6) Service: The team has helped me get taxi rides to all the places I need to go to, a day tour to Halong Bay etc..
7) Comfort: The rooms are wonderful, the bed is comfortable with great pillows, never had a poor nights sleep. Cable, the hot shower, the room service and guest services are second to none.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will be back, whether for work or pleasure. Movenpick will be my first choice while staying in Hanoi.

If you're looking for a hotel with a central location in Hanoi, excellent service, great food, a comfortable bed and a jump of point to explore the rest of the city, you can't go wrong with Movenpick!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KingBee32
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi. We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you continue to stay with us when your travel plans bring you to the city.

We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and we sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding the many positive elements of your stay that keep you coming back to our property. I was especially grateful for your comments regarding the level of personalized service you received from my colleagues at front desk and at the front door.

Thank you again for your feedback on Trip Advisor, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to continue ensuring your stays with us impress you and provide fond memories of Hanoi.

Philip Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Malaysia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This Swiss hotel is located within walking distance of Hanoi's Old Quarters and its' main railway station, Ga Ha Noi, both of which take approximately 10-15 minutes of walking to. There are a number of restaurants serving local and international cuisine nearby.

Upon entering our room, we found the furnishings to be French art deco inspired, a fresh change from most hotel's modernist or contemporary modern design. Room size is fairly big with a 40" flat screen television. The bathroom had an enclosed glass shower screen with strong water pressure and good flow of hot water. Cleanliness was good in both the room and attached bathroom. A nice feature in our room was the implementation of international multi-head wall sockets to accomodate a wide range of AC power plugs.

Our room was located on one of the lower floors facing the busy main street but road noise was kept to a minimum due to adequate soundproofing of the windows and thick walls. You still get to hear the occasional honks of the motorbikes and cars down below. If this concerns you, it may be a better idea to get a room at the back of the hotel where it is quieter.

We had the opportunity to sample breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel's Mangosteen Restaurant. Breakfast selection was wide and varied with a good selection of Western and Asian dishes. There's also a fresh juice station with various local fruits to choose from. In the bakery section there were some freshly baked, good tasting pretzels, rolls and baguettes. A nice inclusion was the tasty Bircher muesli and the rather unusual but equally good tasting Dragon Fruit and Banana compote.

As for the the semi-buffet Lunch and Dinner meals we sampled, the overall selection is quite limited (probably due to a lack of patrons?). Selection of the main course, i.e fish, beef or chicken is limited to only 1 choice per customer while the appetizers, salads and desserts are unlimited for you to take. The restaurant does serve some very good bitter Swiss chocolate cakes which are not overly sweet.

It must be noted that there were tiny gnats flying around the dried fruits during breakfast and around the fresh fruits during dinner. Restaurant management should find a way to prevent such pests from getting into the dining room.

Overall we can conclude that breakfast was by far the best meal we had at Mangosteen Restaurant.

We found the hotel's front desk and wait staff to be generally friendly and helpful as were the doormen and bellhops. Bathrooms in the lobby and restaurant were clean and fresh smelling. Some of the hotel's nicer touches include a complimentary platter of fresh fruits which you can order upon check-in to your room, and a sampling of fine Swiss chocolates served at 5pm in the lobby.

The only drawback of this hotel is the lack of free wifi usage in our room. For this privilege you'd have to pay an additional USD$15 per day, an option which we declined. Most hotels of lower or equal category offer free wifi in their rooms nowadays. There is no reason for Movenpick not to offer this facility to its guests considering its room rates are on par, if not higher than those of its' competitors. There is only free wifi connection in the hotel lobby and in its' restaurant.

Overall, we had an enjoyable and satisfactory stay in this Swiss hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GlobeTrekker6
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you chose to stay with us on this occasion. I am grateful to receive your kind words, especially those regarding the convenient location of the hotel, the size of our guestrooms, the quality of our breakfast buffet and the friendly and helpful service you received from my colleagues.

I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding the variety offered at our semi-buffet, for both lunch and dinner. While the appetizers and desserts are on an unlimited basis, we do limit the main course to just one freshly prepared item from our grill, from a choice of five different fish and meats. Please know that it is certainly never our intent to provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations, that said I will use your feedback to ensure we revisit the number of dishes offered on the grill.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Pros: Great location (5-10 mins taxi ride to all sightseeing spots, the hotel is just outside the busiest traffic routes, so the room is not as noisy as some of other hotels), new and modern decor, clean rooms, professional staff, you can set the "Do Not Disturb" and "Clean My Room" by pressing buttons on the wall (instead of the traditional cardboard signs hanging on the door knob).

Cons: Poor air circulation/ventilation in the room - bath towels would stay damp and not be completely dry. When the air conditioning was off, a nasty smell (like sewage) would waft in from the vents so we kept the air conditioning on at all times (even when we left the room, unfortunately).

I know some of the local hotels are much cheaper than the Moevenpick Hotel, but for an international 5-star hotel, I think this was good value for the quality and I would definitely recommend to other travelers to Hanoi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Candy H
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your experience on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for acknowledging the positive aspects of your experience and for recommending our property to other travelers who use this forum when selecting hotels for their future travel plans. I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding the quality of air circulation you experienced in your room, please know that this is not an ongoing issue and I will use your feedback to ensure that no guestroom has a problem of the one you described.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi in the very near future.

Atlanta, GA USA
Reviewed April 9, 2013

With the exception of a microphone which faded in and out for 2 days this was an acceptable meeting facility. The service was good and very polite. Compared to the Movenpick in Saigon the breakfast was below average.
I stayed on the executive floor and was pleased with the room.

Room Tip: Executive level was an extra USD$40.00 per night - worth the price
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank GSSATLANTA
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. Thank you for acknowledging the positive elements of your stay, especially quality of the service you received from my colleagues.

I am also grateful to receive your comments regarding the quality of the breakfast buffet. It is certainly never our intent to disappoint our guests, or provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and as such, I will use your feedback as a tool to revisit the selection of dishes offered with my Executive Chef.

Thank you once again for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at the Movenpick Hanoi on business.
Arrived very late and all staff were very courteous on arrival.
My room completely lived up to expectation and was of the highest standard.
It was an extremely intensive business trip and so I did not have the chance to use all the facilities although I would stay again.
The hotel location is good and there are good restaurants nearby from a real budget choice to higher end restaurants alike.
I also booked a conference suite which was very well prepared.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Darren L
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, from the convenient location, to our meeting facilities which were prepared to your individual needs, as well as the courteous service you received from my colleagues. We appreciate your recommendation to other travelers who use this forum when selecting hotels for their future travel plans.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi in the very near future.

Jakarta
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Movenpick is located next to Pacific Place's office and apartment. It's not too crowded nearby. If you want to reach the tourist area around Hoan Kiem lake (eg. Hang Gai street, Thang Long water puppet show etc), you can take a taxi by paying around VND 40,000. The staff hotel have good command in English, helpful and friendly.

We can store our bagages without any charge during our overnight trip in Halong Bay before we checking in again after Halong Bay.

The room is modern, simple and very clean. Free wifi is in the lobby. You can get wifi access in the room if you book the breakfast. The wifi connection is fast.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fei77
Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience and I sincerely appreciate that you have acknowledged so many positive elements of your stay; particularly the cleanliness and design of our guestrooms, the convenient location of the hotel within the city of Hanoi and the friendly and helpful service you received from my colleagues. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of timely and quality service delivery that Moevenpick is known for and I am pleased that we have been successful in achieving this during your stay.

Thank you again for your kind words. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

Brackley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel does everything it says on the box. It is in a great location for all site seeing and a very comfortable place to stay. The rooms are first class, very clean and have all the amenities you require. The staff are all very helpful particularly front of house. Nothing is to much trouble and it was very nice to see the general manager Phillp regularly in the lobby meeting guests. Plenty of traditional resturants close by if you want eat out. Highly recommend staying here when in Hanoi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SkippyK8
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, from the convenient location, to the cleanliness and the quality of the amenities in our guestrooms. We really appreciate your recommendation to other travelers who use this forum when selecting hotels for their future travel plans.