“Comfortable, well-appointed hotel in convenient location”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #82 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Stayed at the Moevenpick for a total of three days during our visit to Hanoi. For us, the location was ideal - a quieter, very safe neighborhood slightly away from the frenzied main streets of Hanoi, but still within walking distance of many of the sights in/near the Old Quarter. Rooms were very comfortable. We preferred a city view vs. a quieter, rear-facing review because we found it more interesting. It was slightly noisier, but not overly disruptive.
Breakfast buffet with extensive offerings, but do go early because the dining room gets very crowded. This hotel seemed to be at or near capacity during our stay, with a very interesting mix of tourists & business people.
Unlike most other hotels that we visited, the Moevenpick charges for the use of their wifi, per device per day, a bit expensive. However, it is our understanding that some room rates do include unlimited use of wifi. So, do clarify when booking or check with travel agent prior to arrival about whether wifi usage is included and, if so, get it in writing. We experienced some confusion upon check-in about designated room rate and wifi, but had brought along email from travel agent verifying that wifi was included. So, after a brief period of insistence, it was agreed & there were no further issues.
Aside from this minor glitch, the service was excellent, attentive, and very accommodating. In fact, when we left for an overnight trip to Halong Bay, the hotel graciously agreed to store most of our luggage until our return. This saved us from having to trek 2 large suitcases onto a small cruise ship for just one night! Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your experience on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, from the convenient location of the hotel, to the comfort of our rooms and the quality of our breakfast. I am also grateful to receive your comments regarding the excellent and attentive service you received; I am very fortunate to work with such a group of talented and caring individuals. I also wanted to apologize for the confusion you experienced at check in regarding the package which included unlimited internet access in your room rate, that said I am glad the matter was swiftly resolved to your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for your review, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi in the very near future.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on the first stage of a tour of Vietnam. Good location on the edge of the French Quarter and very close to the "Hanoi Hilton" prison museum. Easy reach for the tourist parts of Hanoi. Very friendly and attentive staff and everything that you should be able to expect of a 4/5 star city hotel but often don't get. Very pleased to recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with the service and facilities at our hotel. All your kind comments are much appreciated.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Only stayed in this Hotel two nights hence the short review. I found the location to be ideal not far from the old quarter and easy to find. The rooms were very clean and large enough for my tastes. Modern bathroom with a powerful shower. Breakfast was good with a large variety to chose from. The bar in the Hotel is small and quite quiet but the prices are reasonable. As a previous reviewer said try and get a high room which will reduce the traffic noise. If you fancy a meal out, turn left as you leave hotel and then right at the junction. Along this street you will find a local restaurant full of locals which serves great food in an amazing atmosphere

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eoireitum
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you and back, hopefully in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed on business with spouse - 3 nights. Had read good reviews from others and the #1 grouse was the charge for wifi on multiple devices so went prepared. The lady at the front desk was good enough to advise us to upgrade to a "Superior room" as it had the benefits of: larger room/bathroom, and unlimited wifi on multiple devices. The cost was an additional $20 per day - and later confirmed that it was worth it. We had a laptop, ipad, and two iphones so it helped. Most residents were part of European group tours.

The good: great room, well appointed spacious bathroom, and overall a good solid 5 star in terms of quality in the old quarter. We had a room on 9th floor and facing the back so no noise issues at all. Lovely furniture and a bathroom design that was quite interesting. Good breakfast, but limited eating within the hotel, pretty dead bar on ground floor. Excellent concierge/bell hops who were very friendly. Spotless hotel - very Swiss! Lovely facade.

The bad: not much really, though gym was average and they had no upright training bike which is what I use. Otherwise OK.

Tips for things nearby - bank across the street which is a beautiful French colonial building and easy to change money. Visit Quan An Ngon restaurant down the road (300 metres) - see my review on this. Another wonderful restaurant by Vietnamese standards (but not for foreigners) was "Wild Rice" also nearby.

Room Tip: High floor, facing rear, pick a superior room (extra $20 per day) which is a real deal.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Asiaishome
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, particularly the size of our guestrooms, the quality of our breakfast and the cleanliness of the hotel. I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding the exceptional service you received from the concierge and doormen, I am very fortunate to work with such a group of talented and caring individuals. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of timely and quality service delivery that Moevenpick is known for and we are delighted that we have been successful in achieving this during your stay.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi in the very near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Rooms are very nice, very clean and service is outstanding. Overall very good value for a pretty high end smaller property. Breakfast was good and included in room rate. Service was excellent.
The bar is very small and not much going on. This is for people looking for a affordable smaller nice hotel with not a lot of extras you'll find at a bigger place. For what it offers they are doing a good job off it.

Room Tip: Get a room up high to avoid city noise - noise is not bad but it would be quieter up high.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for acknowledging so many positive elements of your stay, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the quality of our breakfast and of course the service you received from my colleagues. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of timely and quality service delivery that Moevenpick is known for and we are delighted that we have been successful in achieving this during your stay.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Have been staying in this hotel with my wife during our honeymoon in October 2012. The rooms are modern and stylish and the hotel is in walking distance to most of the attractions of Hanoi. The street is not one of the main shopping streets and therefore the hotel is a good retreat zone coming out of the busy and noisy life of Hanoi. During our stay I got some diaria problems (from food outside of the hotel!) and the staff- even including the hotel director- was extremely helpful on that matter and took great care of me. This was really more than I could expect.

Room Tip: Rooms with a city view are recommendable.
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Christian,
Congratulations once again on your recent marriage, I wish you both a lifetime of happiness together. It was our pleasure to assist you on your recent stay and I am glad that despite your unfortunate health issues, that you were able to enjoy your time together in Hanoi.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again, perhaps on your next anniversary. To this end I trust you will stay in touch and reach out to me if and when your travel plans bring you back to Hanoi.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I can agree with the majority of good refferences of this hotel, however, there are some negative features worth mentioning: plastic windows are obsolete, so they don't block all outside noises and they are fixed with bolts so that you can't open them; the air-condition system is set for some fixed temperature which cannot be changed with the help of the equipment in your room. The rest of the things were quite ok - sleeping facilities are perfect, room cleaning is wonderfull, the staff speak English and they are polite and helpful, a lot of TV channels in differetn languages are available, a good bathroom with a perfect shower + rain shower, a tea-pot, a hair-dryer are also there. All in all you will enjoy your stay there if you are not too demanding.

Room Tip: If you can be disturbed with the noise of the traffic, ask for the back yard room view, but there yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience and I sincerely appreciate that you have acknowledged so many positive elements of your stay; particularly the cleanliness of our guestrooms, the wide selection of television channels and the quality of our showers. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of timely and quality service delivery that Moevenpick is known for and I am pleased that we have been successful in achieving this during your stay.

I did also want to acknowledge your comments regarding the windows, which are actually double glazed glass. We do leave these locked for security reasons, however we are glad to open them upon request for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.