“Staff is Nice, but Poor Value in Hanoi”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #77 of 579 Hotels in Hanoi
Chonburi, Thailand
“Staff is Nice, but Poor Value in Hanoi”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I booked this hotel on a special for $100/night with a free airport pickup (2 nights minimum), however even with this promotion the hotel did not live up to this price tag.

Cons
1) The shower could not keep a constant temperature, it went from hot/cold often. This is something I would expect from a $40/night hotel room NOT a $100/night one
2) There was a tour group, and there are only 2 slow elevators to service the entire hotel. We had to wait at least 10 minutes to be able to use the elevator
3) Location is far away from the central old district 15-20 minute walk thru traffic congested sidewalks
4) I called and thought they said internet was free, but it is really US$10/day.

Pros
1) The staff was very friendly
2) Bed was comfortable
3) We were able to check in early at 10am

We ended up canceling the remaining reservation and moving to a $40/night hotel in the central district which we believe is much better value in Hanoi.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and your comment regarding our staff friendliness , the service we provided during your stay, as well as the comfort of our rooms.

While I am of course very concerned about the fact that we have not met your expectations in some areas, I appreciate your feedback as this will helps us to further improve.

I have noted your comment regarding the water temperature in you bathroom and would like to apologize if that affected the quality of your stay with us. I have immediately asked our maintenance team to check it in order to avoid any inconvenience in the future.

I hope that this incident has not negatively affected your trust in our services and that we will have the chance to welcome you soon again at the Mövenpick Hanoi.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

We found this Hotel a bit far out in location but there are some nice restaurants/food outlets within a 15-min walking distance (We did not eat at the Hotel). We were appalled at the app $9usd per day internet access so ended up going to the local Highlands Coffee place on the corner for free access and better coffee. The Staff servicing on New Years eve in the lounge area was rude and clearly didn't want to be there. The bathroom was very small for a 5 star but serviceable for our needs.

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful sleep ask for the rooms on the off street side otherwise you can hear the bik...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you first of all for taking the time to write a comment on this platform.

Your comments and feed back are essential for us in order to improve our service and the personal touch we aim to deliver to our guests.

I have noted your comment regarding the poor service in our Lounge, and I would like to apology for that as it certainly does not reflect the level of service you rightfully expect from a hotel such as ours.

We are trying our best to train our team to deliver a professional and efficient service and you can be assured that we will reinforce our focus in order to make sure that there will be no reoccurrence of such incident in the future.

I hope that this incident have not negatively affected your trust in our services and that we will have the chance to welcome you soon again at the Mövenpick Hanoi.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Booked the movenpick after reading some reviews. We thought we got a good deal but were very disappointed when we found out about all the extra charges:
- only hotel in Vietnam that charged for wifi access ($9 per person!!!!!)
- breakfast was not included ( we only got breakfast once and were shocked about the poor quality of the food)
Etc etc etc

Plus: good gym , clean rooms and hotel
Minus: food was not good, location: not the vest, very dodgy massage parlor - offered us special massage treatment (comes unexpected in a five star hotel)
Overall: would choose another place to stay next time I come to Hanoi

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Hum123
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, and I am glad you enjoyed the cleanliness of our hotel, as well as our

I am very concerned about the fact that we have not met your expectations in the mentionned areas, and I sincerely appreciate your feedbackas this helps us to further improve.

Indeed the pricing of internet is higher than other hotels in the country, but as most of the 5 stars hotels in Hanoi, we believe that as an international company, we must insure the safety of our guests and our hotel is highly secured for internet browsing and data transmissions which is the reason of the cost.
Adding to that some of our guest do not use the internet access and find convenient not having to pay for this service which allows more flexibility in our rates.

I have also noted your comment regarding the quality of food at breakfast, variety of food items at breakfast and I regret to see that we were not at the level of your expectations. Please rest assured that our Executive Chef and I will continue our efforts to improve the quality of the products featured on our breakfast buffet.

The incident with your massage treatment is of course inexcusable and I have already instructed my colleagues to refrain from such practices. I would appreciate if you could maybe contact me directly in order to provide me with some more details.

I do hope that despite the negative experience on your next stay, you may give us another try in the future.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

The first impression came from the Magastien Resturant we had our late lunch in while we waited for our room. The waitress advised they didn't orangeina but had another orange soft drink then when she brough my 8 yr old tonic he wanted to know why it wasnt orange and she said that was the only soda they had. Not true, she made a mistake and wanted to cover...then after telling me what a good selection i made in my Chardonnay she sent over the wine guy with a champagne.
Second impression, we requested one room but were told our kids must have their own room because 4 are not allows in one room, not sure if this is true but we agreed if th rooms connected. The hotel agreed they did then I insisted upon written.confirmation of connecting rooms and did get it...however when I checked in we were given rooms 806 & 815 not connecting at all!
Third, we called for a US plug adaptor and they said they do not have them...all the hotels we have stayed at for last 2 weeks in Vietnam have had them.
L astly, the fact that we have to pay for internet per day per room really tops off my disappointment in this place and I only just arrived!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Movenpick Hanoi Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Movenpick Hanoi, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Executive Assistant Manager.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is away from the main tourist area (Hoan Kiep) but only a short taxi trip away (about $2.50 fare). Only the Blue taxis wait at the hotel and these drivers are very reliable.The hotel is small compared to others - about 100m long and 12 floors but is a haven from the hustle and bustle of the city. It has all the services a traveller needs. The rooms are spacious, very clean and comfortable. I was impressed by the Staff - could not do enough for you. I was there for 3 days over New Year and as difficult as it was, the Concierge was able to arrange a tour for me with a guide on new Year's Day - he just persisted until he found someone (and the tour was excellent - cost $64 for about 5 hours). The Staff in the Restaurant were so efficient as were the people at the front desk. Had laundry done - in at 8am and back by 6pm, all at a very low cost. The folk at the front door were very helpful - arranged for a cab to take me into the city centre, wait and then return me to the hotel. ONE PROBLEM - smokers in dining areas. Had just begun dinner when a young man at a table near me lit up - not good! - staff said smoking was allowed. Needs to be banned in eating areas, just like here in Australia. So.....Moevenpick Management....be a leader in Hanoi with regard to "no smoking" in your restaurant!!!!!!!! Would certainly stay here again - even with the smoking issue.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Visitorcentralcoast
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a positive comment on this platform and I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have noted your comment regarding the fact that we allow our guests to smoke in our restaurant and bar and I apology if this affected the quality of your stay with us. Indeed we are trying our best to keep some areas of the hotel non smoking but as there is still no law in Vietnam banning smoking in public areas we have to accommodate smokers in our food and beverage facilities. Please rest assured that we keep smoking areas as much as possible secluded from non smoking as well as try our best to make our smoker guests understand in case of any disturbance.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon at Movenpick Hanoi.

Executive Assistant Manager.
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We spent a total of three nights at Hanoi, with a break for a 2-day cruise at Ha Long Bay. Moevenpick has a great location at the center of Hanoi and once you step into it you let the hustle and bustle of the city out the door. The room was great, big, spotlessly clean with all the necessary amenities. Front desk was very helpful and they had great suggestion for restaurants. They kept our luggage in a safe room during our Ha Long cruise. WiFi was included int he price and quality was pretty good. We also used hotel's airport pick up and drop off service which was excellent. Breakfast was great, with large selection of fresh fruit, juices and cooked options. One small suggestion though - hotel has to do something about the breakfast area's ventilation system. The breakfast area is a nice room, overlooking the street and it is indeed a shame to have an open-kitchen but not a very good ventilation system. Every time we went for breakfast our clothes smelled of bacon and waffles. Besides that, I highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side of the building overlooking the HSBC building are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SophiaK
BenoitPRETET, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and the high marks.It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments about our hotel.

I have also well noted your comment regarding the ventilation system and have already asked our maintenance team to check and fix it.

I am obviously happy to know that our staff succeeded to meet your expectations and we hope to have an opportunity to see you back again soon.

Thanks you a lot.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

Currently staying here on my honeymoon with my wife and feel we have been badly let down on two fronts. First, because it was our honeymoon, we paid extra for a "deluxe superior room" for a bit more luxury - when we got here we discovered OUR ROOM HAD NO BATH. Any room in a so-called 5 Star hotel ought to have a bath, ESPECIALLY one which you have paid extra for in order to secure a higher quality room. We only have a shower, acceptable for a 3-star, poor for a 4-star, very bad for a 5-star and wholly unacceptable for when you pay extra to get a superior room. This is not so much of an issue for me, but my wife is Japanese and she feels really let down. They offered to move us, but it would mean us sleeping in a twin room in separate beds.

Second, the Internet price is an absolute scandal. Most 4-star joints (even many backpacker's places according to Lonely Planet) here offer good fast and secure internet for free across their hotels - to argue that the other 5-stars might charge more is like arguing tht your "less-bad" than them, which is not a positive. Anyway, I had read the reviews on this site and thought despite this negative, the benefits of the hotel outweighed this negative. So, I was happy to pay the price, about USD 9 day, only to discover that if my wife wanted to connect her laptop, she would have to the same price AGAIN! So for the three days we're here that will cost us just short of USD 60 for Internet access!

This might sound overally harsh, but it's things like this that spoil your stay in what would otherwise be a very nice hotel. My wife was right, we should have booked the Nikko...

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank MikeAndEmi
Dear Guest, ]

I would like to start by apologizing for the negative experience you had at our hotel.

This clearly does not reflect the quality and standards we set out to deliver.

I have noted your comment regarding the absence of bathtub in the room you recently occupied in our hotel and I would like to sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.
Due to the limited number of rooms with bathtubs we indeed face difficulties to satisfy all our guests’ requests however I do understand that your booking having being made for a honeymoon this could have been asked.

I have also well noted your comment regarding the pricing of internet service and I apology if we didn’t meet your expectations in that regard. We believe that as an international company we must insure the safety of our guests and our hotel is highly secured for internet browsing and data transmissions which is the reason of the cost.

Nevertheless, please be assured that we will still look at opportunities to keep this cost at a minimum for the comfort of our guests.

Again, my apology for this and I hope we will have an opportunity to have you stay with us in the future to show you that we can do better.