“WHaooooooooo”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hi, I went to La verticale last summer, and I was amase by this excellent restaurant.
Many year I heard about it, and first try.
My expecting was high, and I have not been disapointed.
We were 4, 2 couple French/Vietnamese. We have almost try everything in the a la carte section.
Simply amasing, new taste, unsual association of spice. great plate decoration, good service....

disapointing was the restaurant it self a bit basic for such a great cuisine. the ground floor have his own small spice shop, great to complete your own spice choice at home.

Also the amount was a bit high, but we ordered 3 bottles of wine, and took each 2 starters, one main course, cheese plate, dessert, and coffee.
So it is reasonnable for such a great restaurant, I was expecting even more.

There are newer reviews for La Verticale

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Food was tasty but 4 of our 6 had intestinal problems within a few hours of lunch. Not worth the risk.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I've been reading some good review about this place so I wanted to try it ... nice venue and atmospher but nothing special. Or at least not enough to justify the high price (relatively to Hanoi) considering the overall poor quality of the dishes we tried. They would like to do some kind of fusion asian/french nouvelle cousine playing with spices ... interesting idea, a bit pretentious, but with an overall very bad result. Making up a show with presentation and service is not covering up for basic taste composition and cooking mistakes. Don't go there unless you have 30-50$ to throw away.

1  Thank Jthfrt
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were looking forward to this being a great start to our tour of Vietnam. Visited on 12/1/13 and the worst aspect was the temperature of the upstairs room, it was freezing so had to keep our coats on - put the heating on please! Secondly the service was pretty appalling. I ordered a beer for a pre dinner drink which never did arrive, and a glass of wine for my main course which arrived before my starter. First course was a Mushroom Soup with 5 spices of Hanoi, which had a great flavour but was tepid. Main courses were slightly better, Sea bass in banana leaf with Vermouth sauce, good, and Beef Casserole braised in Merlot, which again was good but that was it, nothing to accompany it other than a bread roll and very little veg in the casserole. Cheese le Carlou dessert was pretty tasteless but the Passion, a warm Clafloutis with Halong curry ice cream was very unusual and pretty good. Whole experience was over in less than hour,probably just as well with the temperture!
In summary you could see the potential of the food but it just missed the mark and,for us, didn't match the reputation. It was the worst and most expensive meal we had in Hanoi. The service however needs a good shake up, seemed young kids who didn't know what they were doing, people were getting tasting wines to go with courses when they had nearly finished.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Loved our visit to La Verticale, a short taxi ride from the Old Quarter. This was fantastic food in a beautiful French building. We dined upstairs and chose the 5 course degustation (we weren's up to the 10 courses!!). Food was brilliantly executed and wonderfully presented. This was the most expensive meal we had in Vietnam...the five courses for 2 plus a little wine, came to around $80....Magic! Memorable!