“Great Pho”
Review of Pho Gia Truyen

Pho Gia Truyen
Ranked #43 of 2,451 Restaurants in Hanoi
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We read some good reviews on this place and decided while in Hanoi to give it a try.

It was certainly worth it. We went with a ground of friends and had some of the best Pho I have had. If you need some Pho this is a good place to try. There are other places in the area, so if this is full looks like there are a few options to choose from.

A+ from me.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

When my friend and I arrived, we were a little nervous of seeing a huge steaming cauldron of broth being ladled into a bowl containing raw beef and what appeared to be fat and miscellaneous beef parts. I reminded myself to avoid judgment and "trust the reputation and line that formed out the storefront..."

We ordered two with everything and sat down to eat. As we were face deep in our bowls we noticed a local guy sitting next to us and staring, NO, glaring at us. In broken English, he inquired if we were enjoying our steaming bowls of pho. We confidently said "yes, it's delicious!" He continued, as if to ensure that we understood that the place is a local institution; almost to say unspoken: "and you're not worthy of eating here." At some point in my ravenous consumption, I realized that I should probably breathe. As soon as I lifted my head up, he quickly snapped: "you must finish broth!" My gluttonous ego insulted, I in-turn responded, "Oh, you don't have to worry about that, I'm not finished; I got this!"

I said all that to say this: despite the protectionism by locals over this institution and the potentially intimidating meat and fat display by the entrance, this place is deserving of the title of: institution. The beef was tender and broth thick and flavorful. Green onions and cilantro balanced out the bowl, while adding the house hot sauce will ensure a good moist brow. I would have wrestled that local to the mats if he would have tried to come between me and my precious. Bottom line: "when in Hanoi, do as the Hanoians(?) do..." and give this place a shot.

1  Thank Don N
Reviewed November 12, 2012

if you ask hotel people where you can get good Pho they will tell you this place
the taste of soup is ok ,the noodle is ok but so much beef .but need to stand and wait,like self service,the place look not nice not clean,but the local people really like it.depend . you should try

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This shop on bat dan street is only open in the morning and often has queues of locals waiting for the bowls of pho. While I preferred another pho shop in the old quarter (Pho Suong on Trung Yen Lane), this one was still very delicious. I recommend Pho Tai (lean meat) and ask for an order of quay (qway) - that's the fried breadstick that you can put in your soup to soak up all the delicious broth.

1  Thank heydana
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is one of the most famous PHO shops in Hanoi. You will see many people are waiting outside the shop in a peak time. Their PHO is good, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it worth waiting as there are many good PHO shops in Hanoi where you do not need to wait for long. What disgusted me the most was that there are some friends of the shop owner who came and could go straight into the shop while many other "ordinary" customers had to wait outside the place. I did not feel right at all to see this kind of stuff.