“A Friendly, Classy Oasis in Noisy Hanoi”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cinnamon Hotel

Cinnamon Hotel
Ranked #99 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
“A Friendly, Classy Oasis in Noisy Hanoi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Concluding a four-night stay here, apart from the spacious rooms, with their lovely teak (?) wood interiors and shuttered balconies overlooking St. John's cathedral that exude an old-Hanoi ambience, it's the friendly staff that has made my stay here memorable. Forced to cancel my first two nights just hours before I was due to arrive, they were understanding and graciously didn't charge me (though they justifiably could have). The staff also stored my things, let me use the shower and even offered me refreshments during the week I was away from the hotel, a courtesy beyond the call. Their friendly and helpful attitude was a refreshing change to some other places I've experienced this trip.
The only thing that prevents me from giving an excellent rating is the weak Wifi that sometimes disappears entirely in both the rooms in which I've stayed. (I have to write this from the lobby where there is still barely a signal).
That aside, it's also in a great location, central, but away from the noisy Old Quarter. I would come back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Bryant73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

It's an excellent little hotel that's next to the cathedral, so easy to find. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and the breakfasts were works of art.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Hamishb4
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Cinnamon staff made my first visit to Hanoi very special. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. The service was excellent at all times & the food was good. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. I have never stayed anywhere so friendly. The hotel is clean, cosy & good value for money. An excellent location too - right next to the cathedral in the Old Town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had stayed at the Cinnamon, Hanoi on our last trip in 2011, and definitely wanted to stay there again. Although the bathrooms are getting a bit 'tired', overall everything is clean and charming. The location is also perfect and so are the meals and foot massage.
However, what will always keep us coming back is Le Manh Cuong and his wonderful staff. It always feels like we are a part of the family and that nothing is too much trouble.
Before we left home, as part of our booking with them, they also booked our next hotel in Sapa and our train ride there. They also organised all connecting pickups and Cuong took us to the train station himself and put us on the train. Can't wait to see them again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renzi36
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed in the Lime room on the top floor which had a beautiful view of the Cathedral and nice balcony for people watching. Service was amazing, though when we arrived at 10 at night and just wanted to drop our bags and go out and get something to eat it was a little too much service. It also should be noted that from 11pm to 6am they close the front gate, so while you can get in and out it's not as easy as just walking in and out. The location was fabulous though, an easy walk to the lake and the surrounding Old Quarter. Be aware of the bells though, the Cathedral is quite loud when it starts mass at 5am. I would stay here again in a heart beat though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Molly G
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hanoi old quarter has been my favorite weekend destination for more than a decade. I always stayed at the same hotel but alas! the owner decided to upgrade? the lovely premise to a brand new shining property, like many other places in Hanoi unfortunately. Then I found the charming Cinnamon Hotel last year & decided to make it my new favorite. This time I happened to spend half day in Hanoi during my transit at Noibai Airport. I took a taxi into Hanoi old quarter & walked into Cinnamon Hotel, only asking for the airport transfer several hours later. I was not sure if the receptionist could help me since I was not a hotel in-house guest. To my surprise the receptionist accepted my request with a positive smile, only asking for even less than what I paid for the airport taxi! I showed up at the hotel at appointed time, a nice new car with a pleasant driver was there & the staff even handed me some drinking water. My local expatriate friend saw me off at the hotel & exclaimed he had never seen such a great hospitality in Vietnam! Highly recommend to try their true Vietnamese hospitality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ikuko I
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my friend stayed in Cinnamon Hotel for four nights on our trip through Vietnam. To us this Hotel stands out from the other "same-same-boutique" hotels in Hanoi. It has personality and individual style - something that most other hotels in Vietnam lack.

The staff is extremely friendly and very keen to help you with anything you might need. They went to a copy-shop to get us high-quality copies from our passport that we needed, gave us umbrellas when it rained, and they also surprised us with a cake (and singing!) on my friend's birthday!

The rooms are beautifully furnished in colonial style and with french balconies. A funny detail is that your towel is folded into a new animal every day – the crocodile needed six towels in different sizes!

Our room was facing the cathedral – yes we heard the church-bells but they did not bother us. If you choose to live in the old town of Hanoi the streets are pretty noisy everywhere.

We had a great experience and would definitely recommend Cinnamon Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple