“Hanoi's Happiest Hotel!”

Hanoi Old Centre Hotel
Ranked #11 of 651 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is our first written review on trip advisor or elsewhere and the staff at Hanoi Old Centre Hotel is the reason I'm making the extra effort! They were the best hotel staff I've ever had and I stay at hotels 3 nights a week for my job. I felt like we were getting 5 star treatment! I call them each friends now and love reconnecting with them on facebook and hope to keep in touch for a long time.
The hotel will arrange a taxi from the airport to the hotel when you arrive for very fair price, take them up on it! We didn't arrange a taxi prior and when our taxi driver dropped us off at their hotel he was being shady and changing the price we had agreed on in the aiport. The hotel staff noticed the scuffle and came to the rescue and helped us resolve that issue and even paid the difference the taxi driver was asking!!
We paid $20 a night and that included a delicious made to order breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable and they made extra effort by putting flowers in cute designs on our bed. The mattress is firm but I prefer it that way. We found every mattress we stayed on in Vietnam to be very firm. They upgraded us to a balcony room for no extra charge and it was lovely. The street the hotel is on is minutes away from the lake and night market but it is a very quiet street so you get great sleep.
The receptionists were all so sweet and friendly! We would come in and out of the lobby every morning and night and each time they would offer us coffee, tea or juice and we would end up spending at least an hour chatting with them. They all gave us great recommendations for what to do, see and eat around Hanoi. They each spoke great English and were so easy to talk to. The door men were such gentlemen and so kind! They always were there to open our door for us and carry our bags. The night door man escorted us to the train station and carried our bags and helped us on the train when we left for Sapa and met us back at our train car as we got off (in the rain and at 4:30 am!) and escorted us back to the hotel. He rode his scooter back to the hotel after getting us a taxi and once again met us to help us with our bags.
The tours they set up for us were top notch! We did 3 days/2 nights in Halong Bay on Classic Sail and it was awesome...we can't say enough about the crew and especially the food on the boat...yum! And we also set up a tour in Sapa with 1 night at a home stay and 1 night at a Hotel with meals included and a round trip night train ticket all taken care of. We spent a total of 10 days in and around Hanoi and these people treated us like family. It was amazing...I've never been anywhere like Vietnam and the people are what make it so special.
We are referring everyone we know to visit Vietnam and stay at this hotel.
The only negative thing I can think of is that after we left Vietnam we heard that one of their best and sweetest receptionists had been let go for lack of experience which broke my heart because in dealing with her ourselves it seemed like she was a very bright girl who did a great job as a receptionist. We really hope they reconsider this decision.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tatum_olsen

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Located at the Old Quarter in a quiet street only two minutes of walking to Hoan Kiem Lake, Hanoi Old Centre Hotel is one of the best budget hotel I ever stayed.
The rooms are nice and clean with wifi, and rose petals on the bed to greet hotel guests. Breakfast is great with a variety of dishes to choose, plenty of fruits and juices.
However, the very best thing which the hotel offers is its staff. Everyone is so nice, polite, helpful, and willing to go out of their way to assist hotel guests. This is certainly the place for me to stay every time I visit Hanoi in the future.

Room Tip: It is nice to have a balcony room facing the street. However, the inside rooms are certainly quieter...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank LuyenNguyen
HanoiOldCentreHotel, Manager at Hanoi Old Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Luyen Nguyen,
We would be grateful for your wonderful review on site of Tripadvisor.com. It's so pleasant for us to know that you felt our hotel was good place for holiday trip. Thank you so much for highlighting the hotel staff, the hotel service, the room, the breakfast and location...etc., It extremely will encourage us to maintain our efforts so the services we provide will meet your expectation thoroughly.
We look forward to warmly welcome you back soon!
Yours sincerely
HANOI OLDCENTRE TEAM.
“A home away from home”

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We stayed 5 nights and had the best time! The staff are wonderful and always offering help and advice. Our first room was perfectly fine but they upgraded us the next day free of charge to a room with a balcony which was great! Breakfast was also good and there was a constant supply of juice and coffee.

We booked a tour to Halong Bay with them which was fantastic and they kept our luggage for us at no extra cost while we were away. When we came back we'd been moved to an even nicer room!

The staff truly are the best thing about this hotel, they even had the bell boy escort us, alongside the taxi, to the train station and help us with our luggage onto the train!

If we ever find ourselves back in Hanoi we will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are great
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carriemybags
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and booked the cheapest room for 2 pax.

The room is ok, no windows, not too small and not big, but very clean and decorated nicely. Bathroom also clean. Only the mattress was quite hard, but the extra pillows compensated it.

Everybody from the staff was really helpful and nice.

The hotel located about 2 min walk to the lake and 5 min walk to the night market which is in the old town. It is good that the hotel is on a small side street, so that the noise is less than the main road. But we did not hear any noises (no window, facing back).

It was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank martinmetal
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Stayed for a week in May, and then returned when I had to come back to Hanoi.
Great location and the staff are the best I`ve found in my 7 or 8 hotel experiences in Vietnam. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.
I stayed in the balcony rooms on both the 2nd and 3rd floors.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank tomandjerry2014
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I booked this hotel for one night before I arrived and loved it so much I stayed longer. The staff are so kind and helpful and couldn't do enough for me. I arrived early and was able to check-in early after a welcoming coffee and fresh fruit. The room was really nice, it was clean, with air-con and complimentary toiletries, tea, coffee and snacks. It was also really nicely decorated, complete with rose petals on the bed! There was always tea, coffee, juice, cakes and fresh fruit also available in reception. Breakfast was with western style breakfast or Vietnamese, they also offered pancakes and fresh fruit. Breakfast was a really high standard considering the value of the room and again the staff were extremely attentive and friendly.

The hotel is in a perfect location, right next to Hoan Kiem Lake, in the old quarter. From here the city is easy to get around on foot or a short taxi ride. There is so much to do and explore in and around Hanoi and the staff were really helpful in showing me what to visit and how to get there.

I booked a trip to Halong Bay through the hotel and was given a discount for booking through them. I had researched Halong Bay trips before I arrived and I'm so glad that I didn't book before because they offered much more variety and value for money. They kept my luggage secure while I was on the (overnight) trip so I didn't need to take it all with me. The staff go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need.

The hotel also offers hotel pick-up and drop-off, which I would definitely recommend. Email them before you arrive and they will arrange everything. I didn't do this but they charge a lot less than a taxi from the airport and its a lot less stressful!

The staff really make this hotel and will take time to talk and and help out wherever possible. My stay was really good value for money and one of the best hotels I have stayed in ever! Including some 5* ones. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate booking again if I return to Hanoi. Thank you x

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank NicB30
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Hanoi Old Centre Hotel turned out to be the perfect stay. Less than minutes walk from Lake Hoan Kiem in Hanoi's old quarter, the best part of the stay beyond the spotless rooms, excellent breakfasts and assistance in booking tours was the outgoing and friendly staff who made the place seem more like a second home rather than just another hotel on the road. Beyond the sites, sounds and tastes of the city I will remember the stay for the people I met, their smiles and the time they took to visit with me. A definite recommendation for others.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank tmarkr
HanoiOldCentreHotel, Manager at Hanoi Old Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Tmarkr,
We would be grateful for your wonderful review. We feel very happy when you got the feeling that this is not only the hotel but also it’s your home away from home. Thank you so much for highlighting the hotel staff, the hotel service, the room, the breakfast and location...etc., It extremely will encourage us to maintain our efforts so the services we provide will meet your expectation thoroughly.
We look forward to warmly welcome you back soon!
Your sincerely,