“Great location and good service”

Hanoi Phoenix Hotel
Ranked #305 of 598 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed July 5, 2011

If you are planning to spend some time in Hanoi I strongly recommend to stay in this hotel. Really good service (the staff is really helpful), good breakfast, free coffee all day, clean rooms with AC but thigh one for a couple, but still okay and free wifi. The price is the same as others if you really want to stay in a comfort. The location is the best one, you can walk to the market (10 min), Ho Chi Minh Museum and Mausoleum (30 min) and the lake.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Simonest
There are newer reviews for Hanoi Phoenix Hotel

Reviewed July 5, 2011

What can I say except that this is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed at. I still fume when I think how bad they treated us.

1. No working fan in bathroom so entire room always had a horrible damp feeling to it, when we asked for it to be fixed it was like we had told them we had skinned a puppy
2. They let people smoke in the lobby which circles up the open stairwell into all rooms no matter how high up you are, we politely asked if something could be done about this, once more, the skinned puppy scenario
3. Terrible food, no hot water, intermittently working internet, extremely unfriendly manager, staff that you know were talking about you behind your back in Vietnamese etc etc etc

But that is nothing to what happened on the last day. As we were checking out, I asked to speak to someone to politely reiterate the above issues and the disappointment that I felt with how they had been dealt with. It ended up with the manager of the hotel screaming at me and calling me a crazy person and a nutcase in front of an entire roomful of people. I was so shocked I couldn't actually believe what was happening. I have never known anyone in any country to act so disgustingly towards another person they didn't know, let alone a person who was their customer. It makes me ill to think about it.

For your own good, find another hotel, there are so many in the area!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cappycappy
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Our flight into Hanoi was delayed for 2 and half hours but the prearranged collection by the hotel at the airport was still there which was a great relief.The hotel is in a great location in the Old Quarter and a nice walk to the Lake.Our room had Wi-Fi,shower was excellent,bed nice and comfortable,no noise at night.We arranged a trip to Halong Bay through the hotel,bur due to the boat accident the day before we went we were not allowed to stay on the boat overnight.Although no fault of the hotel they were happy to offer us a part refund on the experience we had missed which I thought was a very generous gesture by Kelvin.Breakfast was adequate with a choice of egg and a very large bread roll.We arranged a taxi to the airport through the hotel and pickup was at 4.30AM,the taxi arrived on time which again was a great relief. Overall,yes there are plenty of nicer hotels around but for what you are paying in a city centre hotel,for value you will struggle to find better.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank icisEngland
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We arrived late afternoon to a busy 'hole in the wall'. The staff were friendly and offered a coffee while we checked in. The place looked clean enough for the cost. Once we had lugged our packs up several flights of stairs ( rounding the matresses leaning up against the walls) we came back to the reception to get a map to explore Hanoi. To my horror the staff in the lobby had a floor tile up and crawling out of it were big bugs - I swear they were cockroaches but my husband claims to differ. They receptionist appologised madly and quickly moved us on our way. Upon our return I was uneasy about staying but the place looked SO clean and had I not been there when the tile had been raised I'd never had known. The room was clean and the shower was hot, although it leaked onto the bathroom floor, creating a bit of a pool, it remained just there while it drained into the plug. We did't eat there ( I just couldn't), but we did book a night away on a junk to see Halong Bay, which was BEAUTIFUL and such good value (A-Class). The hotel arranged for a taxi to drive us to the airport which was great, but the driver arrived around 20 mins late - not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luckylucy31
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Good points. Location, middle of old quarter. Computer in room with quick connection.Very budget hotel though, rooms could do with updating.Booked an airport pick up but possibly due to delayed flight they failed to turn up.Ok for a night or two max probably wouldn't stay again. Old quarter lovely highly reccommend Green Mango for food and atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChinaGed
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We spent 3 nights at the Phoenix and everything was brilliant. We booked this in New Zealand along with trips to Sapa, Halong Bay and Tam Coc. Kelvin did a great job of all this place arranged train tickets from Ninh Binh to Hue on the HN1 train which other companys said didnt operate. Everything went like clockwork. As far as the hotel went everything was perfect. We had a family room which had plenty of room which is always great with teenage daughters. The rooms are very quiet considering what is happening out on the street. The breakfast was included and brilliant. As much as you could eat. Tony made sure we were well feed before the start of our day. Kelvin even gave us a room when we returned from Halong to shower and rest before catching train to Sapa. When we returned from Sapa at 5am we got a taxi back to Phoenix and Tony left the door unlocked so we had a room plus gave us breakfast before going to Ninh Binh. Cant recommend this place high enough and a credit to Kelvin and his team. Cheers we will be back one day.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank KellyFamily88
Reviewed December 14, 2010

I stayed here for about 2 weeks in Hanoi, using it as a base in between trips to Halong Bay and Sapa.
The staff (who are more like a happy family) were extremely welcoming and upon arrival we received a friendly reception and free breakfast!
We stayed in both double and triple rooms and both were spacious, clean and really comfortable.
The owner Kelvin was amazing, ensuring we got the most out of the tours we booked through them (which we did) and even helping out with other areas - taking me to fix my broken camera cheaply.
When we returned from our trip to Sapa, they gave us a room for the day to sleep, shower etc. for free!!
We booked a bus from Hanoi to Hoi An through them and a few things went wrong (bus company fault not hotel's) where we ended up needing a refund, which Kelvin sorted out for us after just one simple phone call, no hassles, which was really helpful!
These guys know how to look after all kinds of travelers and care about tourism Vietnam as a whole, so put in the extra effort for client satisfaction.
Best bang for your buck - Hanoi Phoenix Hotel! See ya next time round :D