Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Old Quater Walking Tour & Street Food tour

Our guide, Giang was extremely friendly and turned up with a well planned itinerary. Her English... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Berdie C
via mobile
Getting to know Hanoi with the locals

We met Sandra and Tom at Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre. At a last minute we also changed the... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
JimTanKL
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Hanoi
from $150.00
from $42.00
from $135.00
from $135.00
More Info
All reviews egg coffee free tour walking tour gia linh old quarter great tour vietnamese culture food tour hoa lo prison university students half day tour hoan kiem lake maison centrale long bien bridge joseph's cathedral sword lake local food
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Anh was very friendly, hilarious and attentive! My friend and I had a great time with Anh (Phuong Anh from Nc123), we tried many good street food/hidden places in Hanoi with Anh. This is probably the best way to try taste real local food in Hanoi, esp it was our second day in Vietnam and we haven't got our way around the city/country.
Anh was an energetic and funny uni student - we had an amazing time, lots of laughs and fun. Besides the food places, we also walked around some famous sights at night near the old quarter. We got to know so much more about the country, history and cultures of Hanoi. Thank you Anh!

Date of experience: March 2018
Ad_LocalTours, General Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

As a member of Hanoi Free Local Tours I would love to express my sincere thanks to you for giving us an exellent review.
We will do our best to bring better free local tours to both foreigners and vietnamese wanting to learn more about the culture, customs of Vietnam.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We are a family of 4 who organised this tour at very short notice with Hanoi Free Local Tours as our tour with another organisation had been cancelled.
We had great communication via WhatsApp with a company rep who made some recommendations and organised our guide Phong to meet us in our hotel lobby.
Phong was a great guide, very knowledgeable about the city and its food and a really nice friendly guy. The places we visited served awesome food around the city (Vietnamese bbq, pho, ice cream, egg coffee) and Phong explained about the different places we visited. It was a great night and we would recommend this tour to anyone looking to try some local foods whilst exploring the city at the same time. Thank you Phong :-)

Date of experience: April 2018

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Let me start by saying that I have lived in Hanoi for 2 years and have done a lot of walking tours. I have been very impressed by the student-run initiative of Hanoi’s Free Walking Tours and the personal touch the guides add through their local knowledge and personal relationship with Hanoi.

Recently, I had extended family visiting from Germany and decided to try Hanoi Free Local Tours instead, as the website promoted their well-trained guides. We chose the of the French Quarter and I (and my guests) were very disappointed. We all agreed that our guide was a lovely and kind young man, but aside from a few very basic facts, we did not really get much out of the tour and didn’t feel any personal, local touch was added. We ended up uploading a self-guided walking tour and using that to walk around the French Quarter after grabbing some lunch, which sadly offered more.

Now here is the real catch to this free walking tour - it is absolutely not free. There is a suggested donation of $9 per person to a maximum of $35 per group. We were a group of 3 adults and 3 children. When the tour ended, I offered 700 000 VND as a “tip” which is slightly over $30, more than $9 per adult. Our guide was quick to correct me and show me that my “fee” (clearly not a tip) was 790 000 vnd (closer to $35).

So here is my opinion. If you want a real local exchange, choose Hanoi Free Walking Tours. It is truly free (of course, tips are a nice thank you). If you want something professional, engaging and informative, and know you are getting your money’s worth, I would hire a professional tour guide. $35 will go a long way in this city!

I hope this was helpful!

4  Thank jendawnmarchand
Ad_LocalTours, Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2018

In order to run the organisation and support the guide we expect a donation/ each tour. This will help us out with the Booking System, Training Programs, and Marketing...

Besides, the donation will be separated into 2 parts.
- Part 1: for the guide as the tip
- Part 2: For the organization operation.

Donation is not compulsory.
The expected amount is mentioned in case you are happy with it. But you can also choose the amount base on your satisfaction.

When we changed the policy (Before - Totally Free), this will make you feel uncomfortable, but this mount of money, we can be still working on this project.

Many thanks

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

Great tour with super friendly Andy!
It is definitely worth spending time into Hanoi with a local guide to get to know and taste food specialties with some explanations!
Andy is definitely eager to bridge some nice contact and make visitors have a great food experience!
Really recommend for a first food tour experience!

Date of experience: April 2018

Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

With all tours the guide is the key, 'Ha' was great, she was warm and enthusiastic in her welcome and her engagement throughout the walking tour. I did the 'full city tour' and we continued on throughout the day enjoying Ha's company and knowledge of Vietnam and Hanoi. A medical student and with clear intelligence, her knowledge on the sites we visited/Vietnamese culture and its history was impressive. We visited the most popular sites in Hanoi covering parts of the old quarter, the French quarter and the museum's further away, you can have course get further details on sites when looking into the tour. The tour was easy to set up and Ha was waiting for me at my hotel at the time given which was great. Although a free tour, you're expected to pay for the guides access into sites and for lunch which tbh is perfectly acceptable and worth it. I have to recommend the company and the quality they have in picking their representatives.

Date of experience: March 2018
Ad_LocalTours, General Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2018