Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

from $5.13
from $5.13
from $29.00
More Info
All reviews egg coffee old quarter walking tour great tour food tour university students hoan kiem lake long bien bridge local food ho chi minh complex thank you so much french quarter spoke very good english different places street food west lake private tour
Selected filters
Reviewed August 30, 2017 via mobile

Guide arrives promptly and we set off.
After about 15 minutes we started trying some food. Once we sat down and started talking it became abundantly clear that she was not able to speak the appropriate amount of English needed to do a food tour.
We persevered - she started showing us some of the sights - but we were hungry as this was a food tour... when we said we had already seen the sights and fancied trying some different street food- she asked us - well where do you want to go?...
She then took us to the closest street vendor from when we stopped and she bought us chips and some squid. To be fair the squid was nice.. but chips?
Would not recommend the food tour.
She was obviously learning English and in the early stages. She was perfectly nice - but no food and unable to tell us anything.

Date of experience: August 2017
812h_ngn, Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2020

Dear Ash,

First of all, I want to say many thanks for your review. We always really want to bring my best valuable during time you stay in Hanoi to support you any cases you need and you can join the trip you like. But your tour was not good as your expectation. We are so sorry about that.

About your guide, i must to say that our guides are students, not professional guide. We always sent student guide for free tour because It is our mission. Both tourists and students have benefits from that, we can exchange culture, make friends, and learn more,.... Students will be tested before joining the club and have to be trained before take any tour.

However, everything is not perfect and not all of our guide will speak English well, not all of student will be good at listening and handle situations. We did not hire a professional guide; our guides are students, we accept students not just only because of their skill, their English but also their enthusiasm and attitude. They really want to communicate with foreigners and exchange culture. Anyway, We are really sorry when he could not make the tour well.

Of course it is also our fault when we did not train our guide carefully. Because of limited resources, we have already organized this club for some months. I hope that you can sympathy and forgive us.

Surely, you were very disappointed. We can’t fix the past but you have my personal commitment to improve the way our staff serves every customer. Until then, please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of everyone on the team.

We are improving and training our guide better, certainly need more time to do that but not immediately and hope that our service will be much more better. When you come back Vietnam, please give me a chance to arrange a free tour for you, I make sure that you will see the differences from the past.

Once again, thank you so much!

Warm regards,
Hanoi Free Local Tour Team

Reviewed August 29, 2017

Our guides went to our hotel on time and introduce themselves nicely to everyone. They were very informative, energetic and funny at the same time. They also accompanied us to the best tourist spots, noodle soup, ice cream and egg coffee in Hanoi! Highly recommended! Thank you, Thuy and Yen!

-Jonathan Aman

4  Thank jonathanaman
Ad_LocalTours, Manager at Hanoi Free Local Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2018

As a member of Hanoi Free Local Tours I would love to express my sincere thanks to you for giving us an exellent review.
We will do our best to bring better free local tours to both foreigners and vietnamese wanting to learn more about the culture, customs of Vietnam.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

I went today on a tour with Anna to the Hoa Lo prison and to the Vietnamese Women's Museum. Before starting our trip, she told me about the main touristic sites and let me decide which ones I prefered to visit.
She was extremely nice and her English skills were excellent. It was very easy for me to understand everything. I had a really good time and learnt a lot about Vietnamese culture. I highly recommend it!

5  Thank Paula P

Reviewed August 26, 2017

I had a one day local tour with a University student. She was very informative and gave lot of information about the places. I hired a taxi and visited all the local tourist places with my guide Ms.Dao. She spoke good english.

1  Thank rajanr113

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

Took a tour with Hoang and Minh and highly recommend the experience!! Very friendly students willing to show you both the touristy and non-touristy sides of Hanoi. Very glad we did it!