“Excellent location..excellent everything!”
Review of Tung Trang Hotel

Tung Trang Hotel
Ranked #190 of 597 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for 4 nights - this being the beginning of our trip to Vietnam. We had arranged to be picked up from the airport by the hotel and yep when we got there was a gentleman holding a sign with my boyfriends name on it. When we arrived we were shown to our room which was a double room with an ensuite at $14 a night which was perfect for us - you could get a larger room for an extra $2 but the room we were shown was fine for us.

What we loved about this hotel was the location - it was down a quiet alley so you could not hear the constant horns beeping from the main road. You could easily get a peaceful night sleep here. Yet at the same time everything was nearby and was in the heart of the Old Quarter.

The staff here are very friendly and helpful here. On our last day we had booked a train ticket to Hue which whilst we were out in the city the train had been cancelled due to bad weather and the receptionist cancelled our ticket for us so we would not be charged.

They also arrange tours here and train/bus tickets which was very good service.

They also serve breakfast here which can be part of the room price or you can order it separately.

Even though there was a sign saying an hourly rate for the internet we were not charged once for using the internet - on our last day I sat on the internet for about 3 hours as we had to wait around for ages due to our train being cancelled.

We would both definitely stay here again if visiting Hanoi again and recommend this hotel to other travelers.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amzjp
There are newer reviews for Tung Trang Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2010

+ friendly staff
+ awesome location
+ good room with window

But:

- although I had a reservation, I had to take a more expensive room for one night
- room smelled of smoke because there has been a heavy smoker in this room before
- cleaning service showed up in the room only 1 time during a 1 week stay

I am not sure if this is an individual case or stuff like this happens there more often.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Honza_ak
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Stayed here twice this month for a total of 5 nights. We booked online and received confirmation by email. The location is good because it's down a quiet alleyway, although there's no escape from the ubiquitous scooter. We stayed in rooms 201 and 502. 201 is a double room with small en-suite bathroom. The room itself is large and has a small balcony. All rooms are equipped with TV, wifi, fridge, towels, shampoo sachets and toothbrushes. Rooms are cleaned every day. We were charged $22 for room 201. Room 502 is on the top floor and is a family room with double bed and 2 single beds and all facilities as per 201 (plus an odd-looking running machine which we did not use!) - we were charged $18 for this room. Breakfast cost us extra (not sure if it was our poor bargaining skills which caused this) at VND 25,000 each. The staff are helpful and friendly. We scoured many other hotels and this seemed good value for the money.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wiggyjojo
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Ordinary and overpriced is how I'd describe the Tung Trang. Staff were not too helpful - charged top price - key to door didn't work, tv didn't work and staff were surly. Never told about breakfast despite travelling with a child - pretty poor really. And what's this about the courtyard? - you mean the entry way. Yes, it's a great location but that's all that recommends it. For kids - you can't watch the tv because the screen is black. Also some other things are - there is no courtyard to play in - there is no courtyard - but the computers are great,

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Gwen10
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We booked a superior room - 501 - before we arrived into Hanoi as we were arriving late after flying from Laos. The hotel is located in a very smelly alleyway a few streets away from the Hoan Kiem Lake. If I had paid $10-$15 I would have expected what I got but we paid $25 for a superior room. It was quite clean, had hot water, internet for free, fridge, they did meet us on arrival at the airport. But... the towels were so stained and old, the staff did not seem to care, no breakfast included, the door was sellotaped up and not very secure. I would expect more from $25 per night. We stayed two nights and then moved into a room in Vega Travel office for $10 - which was 3 times the size (no fridge) much better location and fresh clean towels.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We only stayed one night here, overall the experience was good. For me, the biggest plus point for this hotel is it's location, not just in terms of strategically since it is located in the Old Quarter, but most importantly is it's location away from the traffic and noise. In Vietnam, you need a hotel that is off the main road because the drivers here are famous for pressing the horn for absolutely everything! If you are a light sleeper, I highly recommend this place.

The only minor complaint I had about my stay here was the fact that I reserved a USD13 room but was given a USD15 room because they told me the occupants of the room that was reserved for me, had unexpectedly extended their stay. So they gave me a room that was supposedly priced at USD16 but discounted to USD15 for me. In my opinion, the room should have been let to me at USD13 since that was the promised price and it's not my fault the room I have booked is not available at the very last minute.

We had also booked our 2D1N Deluxe Halong Bay tour through them at USD60 from the Tour Operator Fantasea Adventure. It turned out to be great, so I would say it's safe to book tours through them and not get scammed.

No breakfast, no elevators (only stairs) , no minibars but I'm fine with all that as I'm just looking for a clean and quiet place to sleep. And they also have computers at the lobby where you can use the internet (high speed) for free.

Email them at tungtranghotel@yahoo.com if you are interested. Please take note they have another property "Tung Tang II" so please state clearly which property you wish to stay.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank backpacker_gurl
Reviewed August 13, 2009

What a charming hotel! The hotel located in the good location with a touch of colonial exterior. The room is fine enough with a good water pressure. Nice staff and helpful. Have a good time watching the real life of local neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo