“Charming!”

Ranked #194 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Houston
“Charming!”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

What a charming hotel! The hotel located in the good location with a touch of colonial exterior. The room is fine enough with a good water pressure. Nice staff and helpful. Have a good time watching the real life of local neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 27, 2009

we arrived in hanoi very early and made it towards tung trang guesthouse extrememly tired. the staff were very friendly and helpful. we had some tea with them and had a nice conversation with the girls.
we stayed on the fourth floor. the room was ok. air con was an extra dollar, which was explained to us at time of check in. it was quite warm as the air con wasn't great.
we left the next day to find a better room, without explaining to the staff. (they spoke great english too).
we returned in a couple of days to book a trip through them and we explained why did not stay. we left our baggage at the hotel when we went on overnight trips to sapa and halong bay. when we returned we stayed in their second guesthouse very nearby. it was much more spacious and cool.
they recommend some great places to eat inculding local specialities!!
overall - a lovely family but be sure to communicate any problems with them as we found them more than happy to try to accomodate our needs.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Paid $13 for a room which was quite small for 2 peiople and their bags. Shortened stay to one night. Room clean and basic. No Breakfast incl.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This was my second stay at Tung Trang I. We arrived the day after a large rainstorm hit Hanoi so management took the initiative and arranged our transportation to Tung Trang II in Bat Su Street for one night as our intended room was being cleaned up. This is their newer family-run hotel and we were charged the cheaper rate for that night.

We stayed at Tung Trang I for the next four nights - it is located in an alley off Hang Bong and so it is very quiet. We had a room with a balcony and double doors and it was lovely and clean. The family who run both hotels were friendly and didn't intrude or try and sell you tours etc. They carried our luggage up to our rooms and arranged our onward transportation.

The location is great - it is within walking distance to the lake, Old Quarter, cathedral & cafes and across the road from a supermart and pharmacy. If you like food, it is close to the famous bun cha place on Hang Manh and Bun Bo Nambo is around the other corner. And if you needed a taxi or moto, you just have to step out to Hang Bong at the end of the alleyway.

The only gripe (if you can call it that) is the small bathroom/wet room. However for a small hotel they provided shampoo, toothbrushes, soap which was a nice touch!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BunCha_Gal
Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Super clean, not 5 star hotel with stuff, but slept very well. They have a 2nd hotel they openend run by themselves as well, not as nice, but still safe, very clean... trusted the family to watch my child while I shopped. Grandma there, daughters and mother there, really family operation. English level was excellent compared to China. This is the only place to stay if you are going to Hanoi on Budget. Avoid noisy party crazy other hostels. Ask for a discount, might give you a a buck or two off published rate. No on-line booking set up, everything is through phoning or email. Didnt take a deposit either, was afraid they would give away my room... but they definately came through.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Maui
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We stayed at Tung Trang for 4 nights and loved it! It is the true feel of Hanoi. Located down an Alley full of street vendors, it was perfect! Centrally located in the old quarter, we could walk everywhere we wanted. With the family run "bar" 2 steps away, it was the one of the best parts of our trips.
The girls who work the front desk were happy to help us book our trip to Halong Bay and made sure we got a great deal! I even left a book behind that had my exit paperwork in it and they emailed me and arranged to mail it to my hotel in Nha Trang free of charge.
Great people! Great place! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisamaui
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I stayed at Tung Trang II because Tung Trang I was full. (Unlike the previous reviewer, I did not have a reservation and this was clearly communicated to me via email in advance.) I wasn't sure what to expect from II and was quite impressed. I had a super quiet room at the back with a good, comfortable double-bed, refrigerator, tv, strong fan, and nice, large, very clean attached bathroom for $15/night. (I debated 3 vs. 4 stars for the room itself as it only had a window to the hallway and not to the outside. This is something I wouldn't have chosen but turned out to be not a problem.)

I stayed 3 nights and found the staff much friendlier and more helpful than almost any other place I stayed in Vietnam. They provided me with a map, answered several logistical questions well, volunteered information that was useful, and arranged a taxi at 4am (which they had to get up to do). I'm not a big chatter but friendly smiles and greetings upon everyentrance and departure makes a bigger difference than one might think.

They have two computer terminals in the lobby with a strong and fast internet connection. There are not that many rooms at the Tung Trang and it was always easy to get one. I was frequently served cups of tea while checking my email They also have a small book exchange and you can purchase water, soda, juice, and a few snack items, for the same prices you would in nearby stores.

Finally, I had previously been staying slightly more centrally (to the heart of backpacker land) but this turned out to be an even better location - still safe and easy walking distance to everything but quieter.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo