“Can't complain”
Review of Halong Plaza Hotel

Halong Plaza Hotel
Ranked #4 of 69 Hotels in Halong Bay
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Rooms were functional and clean pretty much does what it says on the tin. This isn't going to be the most memorable hotel experience ever (from either good or bad memories). Got a reasonable rate through agoda. Breakfast was pretty good with lots of choice. Dinner buffet is ok if you like seafood. I'm a veggie though and the options were pretty poor. I disagree with the reviews saying the staff are rude. They were a little odd but at least they tried to be helpful and friendly. Would say that the hotel location is a little too far away from the centre which put us off going out at night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sam B

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Little English is spoken by the hotel staff. They aren't overly helpful at reception and our room service food was so awful we had to ring them back to return it.

The other staff and managers are friendly though .
I don't recommend to stay in any hotels in halong. There is nothing much to do. Do the halong bay boat cruise and stay overnight there and then go back to hanoi .

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed October 25, 2013

It is a pretty standard hotel, good for a short stay, nothing outstandingly good or bad. We had only 1/2 day to spend there, and although we reached in the afternoon and requested for a boat ride, the receptionist could quickly arrange the ride. It was expensive, but we understand that it was not the hotel, but the boat company's cost. Yes, the staff was not very friendly, but they were helpful when asked. And I really liked the breakfast. I have seen reviews complaining about the breakfast, but I had one of the best chicken dishes I have ever tasted in this hotel, and I still talk to people about that taste.

Room Tip: Bay View rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
HalongPlaza, Public Relations Manager at Halong Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear saswatibiswas,

Thank you for spending your holiday at the Halong Plaza Hotel. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast. Your comments will encourage our Food & Beverage team to serve better services to our guest and that is what we strive for.
Regarding your comment on the staff, we already shared your thoughts with the Front Office team and we hope that we can have other opportunities to show you our best service.

Thank you very much for your comments and we hope to welcoming you again.

The Management Team

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The standard rooms here retail at 150 usd unless booked through a site such as agoda. We were annoyed that the staff would not allow us to get the cheaper rate unless we booked through the website though as this meant that I needed to use my credit card instead of paying cash. No offer to take our 4 bags to the room for us, unfriendly staff again which seems to be par for the course in Vietnamese hotels. Breakfast had a good selection but of sub standard low quality and cold food.

My biggest complaint however is that I was solicited with a sales call in my room. I have had people in this country trying to exploit my good nature for their own financial gain multiple times a day since arriving in Vietnam. They even have the name "fatty chickens" for tourists that they can rip off for inflated prices. The bus from Halong to Hanoi is 3 usd per person. When they called me in my room they said that they would sort out the transport for 75 usd!!! (according to staff in another hotel this is a whole months wage for a vietnamese hotel staff member). This is 12.5 times the price for me and my girlfriend to do it on our own. Absolutely beyond comprehension.

I will never return to Vietnam. They see tourists as cows to be milked and have no shame in trying to blatantly rip you off. The shop on the corner of the hotel wanted to sell me a can of soda for 20,000 dong while I got it for 9,000 Further down the street. They try to rip you off at every turn. Beware.

Room Tip: Book online for good savings on rooms but check rooms beforehand.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank acupuncturistuk
HalongPlaza, Public Relations Manager at Halong Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Acupuncturistuk,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are welcome all guests comments to make us better.

We are sorry to know about the taxi fee situation and we believe it was merely a misunderstanding. Response to your request for the airport taxi, our Front Office staff checked with the airport taxi company and called you to inform the price. The cost USD75 is their public price. Please understand that this was not a sales call.

Regarding your comments about our staff and the breakfast, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this must have caused you. Please rest assured that your comments have been delivered and shared among our team to enhance the customer value and quality of services.

Again thank you for your comments and we hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.

The management team

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We are disappointed with this hotel. Services from the staff is poor for i dnt think they can speak or understand english well. No body even greet us good morning and even when we check-out they didn't even say thank you. When we swam in the swimming pool there was nobody there to assist us to provide us a towel thats why we end up going back to our room wet and dripping all over.
Morning buffet is not good for they only have few choices and their congee are not even hot. Food is not that great at all even at their dinner buffet.
Not so happy at all.

• Stayed: August 2013
HalongPlaza, Public Relations Manager at Halong Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Delje,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.
Regarding your comments about our staff and the food, we are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apology for your unpleasant experience and please be assured that immediate action will be taken to avoid future re-occurrence.
We appreciate your opinion and sharing your concerns, and it is our hope to welcome you back at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel offered great food and helpful service during my short stay. Food was tasty, room and reception service wad helpful. Beautiful view from my room window. Buffet dinner and breakfast offers delicious food. Short way yo walk and see the Beach and market.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We read in a guide book that this place is 'luxury'. The lobby is amazing so as we headed to the lifts after a 5 hour bus ride with vietnamese boy bands blaring out, I was dying to jump in the pool and enjoy the room.

Well, basically its really dated and not really luxury at all. Standard room. The pool was clean, but not amazing bit of an ugly patio area which could do with a bar so you can enjoy a beer on a hot afternoon.

I just felt a bit underwhelmed by this place as it was made out to be so amazing. The breakfast was a bit rubbish, yes there was a lot of food on offer, but it wasn't very tasty!

The staff were helpful but didn't seem to know much about helping us get to Cat Ba Island, we asked and they didn't really know- weird! So we Googled instead.

Overall this place could be better, great views, but needs a bit of a refurb to bring it up to date.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple