“Fantastic”

Dragon Legend Overnight Halong Bay Cruise with Hanoi Pickup
Ranked #3 of 147 Tours in Halong Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Indochina Junk cruises to Bai Tu Long Bay, a beautiful and less visited part of Halong Bay for "off the beaten track" itinerary with many unique experiences. Our fleet includes Princess Junk, Prince Junk, Red Dragon Junk, Dragon's Pearl Junk and Dragon Legend cruise. Flexible itinerary, friendly staffs and delicious local food will definitely bring you an amazing trip in Ha Long Bay.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were on the Dragon Pearl from 25th-27th March with 3 freinds and we were really glad we chose the 2 night cruise instead of just 1 night. The bus picked us up from our hotel and the journey to Halong Bay was bumpy, which is just due to the state of the roads. Our group of 20 people were lovely. Our guide for the trip was Tony, who was very knowledgable and friendly. The boat was great, the cabin rustic, with lots of dark wood. Not a lot of storage room, so make sure you take just a small bag. The bathroom very modern. We had a top deck where there were sunbeds for everyone. The food was amazing..! We were quite an awkward group in terms of food requirements - I was quite expecting as a vegetarian to be eating bland food, but the imaginative food they came up with was quite incredible. Another friend had a pea allergy, which they couldn't quite get their head around, as he ended up getting salads without peanuts..! By the end we gave up trying to explain that peanuts were fine! The only thing I would say was that there was a little too much food...there was literally course after course...and even for lunch. So definitely go with an empty stomach! The bar was a bit more expensive than normal bars in Vietnam. We went kayaking, which was fantastic. The dinner in a cave was definitely a highlight and there were a couple of honeymoon couples on the boat and it was really nice that the crew made a fuss over them. Loved the floating fishing village we went to which was facinating. Really glad we spent a bit more and chose Indochina junks, as we were a bit more isolated and not amongst 100s of other boats and overall the amount of effort the staff and chef go to is definitely a 5 * experience.

Visited March 2014

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Dragons Pearl - 2d1n”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We really enjoyed our trip with Indochina Junk. The trip from Hanoi is long but the transport is comfortable. We were on the junk boat for less than 24 hours. There were 18 guests on board - the majority on our Dragons Pearl trip were french speaking. The cabin was splendid and we slept well. The food was wonderful and there was lots of it. It was really excellent when you consider that it is prepared on a boat. The scenery is stunning and other than the other Indochina Junk boats it is very peaceful.
Our suggestion for improvement. After we disembarked we were left waiting for about an hour with no information on when we could expect to get into a bus to travel back to Hanoi. A shorter wait would be better or failing that - regular updates on when the bus is expected to be ready.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank CMaryL
Kunming, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth it in every way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I can't even say how amazing this experience was! Ha Long Bay is probably the most beautiful natural place I've ever seen (rivaling the Grand Canyon) and going on a cruise with this company is an amazing way to experience it. They take you to a gorgeous part of the Bay. On our 2 night 3 day cruise we loved sitting on the deck with a cup of tea as we sailed past gorgeous rock formations. Kayaking through the bay was also amazing! The food was delicious--we felt so spoiled. The crew and other passengers were friendly. We liked going with a small group--maybe 12 other guests, as it made for a more intimate experience. The last night ended with a cave dinner, which my husband and I thought might be a little cheesy, but it was actually really fantastic--delicious and romantic. I would highly recommend this cruise--especially for couples.

One more thing--We went in February. I thought the winter weather might be disappointing, but it wasn't too cold, and the bay was still gorgeous.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Melissa P
Edinburgh, Scotland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Truly excellent - Princess 2d1n”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Went on this trip (couple, 30-ish) in August last year and I feel bad I never got round to writing a review. So here it is finally!

The trip was really amazing. A one-off experience, and a must-do if you are in Hanoi.

We were picked up at our hotel in a nice 4x4 just for us, which was brilliant. Took about 4 hours to get there with a short stop for juice and toilet at the usual crafts outlet type place. It was pelting down rain, the tail end of a typhoon nearby, and there were jams due to road floods; but it added to the adventure (thank goodness for the 4x4!). Thankfully, once we arrived it was just light drizzle and by evening cleared up completely. We met our guide and headed to the boat. A little motorboat took us to the main junk. By the way, if its raining, wear decent shoes as it gets a little slippy on the motorboat and steps. Actually, even with just the water spray its a little slippy. Plus when you visit the caves there are loads of steps so wear good shoes. I was a bit fussy about this as I'd broken my ankle slipping in water earlier in the year!

The food on board is truly exceptional and soooooo much of it! Dinner was about 6 courses! I don't eat seafood and they happily accommodated this and cooked separate dishes for me, which was really nice (as seafood is the obvious norm when on the boat). I did try fish and it has converted me! Was delicious. The Vietnamese coffee is also a must-try.

The cabin was cosy. There are creaks and noises overnight but you are on a boat, so to be expected. Not disruptive at all, quite pleasant really. Didn't need to really use air con but nice that it was there. Everything was clean, good condition and met my expectations - I have pretty high standards so that's saying something. Its a cabin on a boat, so its not decadent luxury like you'd expect in a hotel, but was comfortable, spotless and nice. The bay we stayed in overnight was just for Indochina and was very peaceful.

I think the trip of 2d 1n was the right length. Could have done 2 nights but don't think its worth doing any longer than that. Also do remember that you are out in the water and not near mainland shore so bring with you anything you would normally need day to day since there are no shops to pop to! You might want to pack sun cream, kindle/phone charger, adaptor and insect repellant, though we never saw any bugs actually. The boat has a bar and our waiter made us cocktails. Dinner and breakfast on the deck was really special. We also ate inside when it was drizzly.

Saw lovely scenery, the really interesting floating village, caves, huuuuge jellyfish and learned some Vietnamese from our guide. 'Cam On' pronounced 'cahm oon' is Thank you, in case you need it! We were unsure about the whole tipping thing for the staff. Do we or don't we tip? Of course we couldn't access the internet to check, being in the middle of the water! I don't think it is expected but we wanted to leave something as a show of appreciation. Bear in mind that its not just the guide doing the work, so when tipping 6 people it becomes kind of amusing. I think we totally over-thought the whole thing when at one point we were using a calculater and percentages based on role responsibilities! Oops! We just laughed at ourselves and handed over some VND. If you aren't sure whether to take dong or US $ I would say take both. Same applies for Hanoi.

The guide, Mr Hoanh, that we had was great, we were worried that it might be awkward with just us and the crew on a little boat but they were not intrusive in any way. We could relax on the sunbed on the front deck and feel quite alone. A big shout out to our crew though... Mr Duong the chef, Nhep the captain, Vinh the waiter, Hung the mechanic, and Viet the supervisor.

It may seem expensive but I think it was definitely worth the money!

Visited August 2013
2 Thank jadesy
Oslo, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great trip!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We booked our trip with the Indochina Princess (1 cabin) and did not regret anything except not bringing our friends along! We came into Halong Bay on a cruise shop and therefore were advised to book the private boat since the other boats would be leaving before we could get to the Indochina terminal. We were met by our wonderful guide Hóang and the captain for our 24 hour cruise around Halong Bay. We were welcomed on board by the whole staff and given welckme drinks and a small token gift from the captain. We enjoyed the kayaking and seeing the cave. The weather there is not what we had hoped for, but I think fog and drizzle is what one should expect in Halong Bay. If you get sun you are lucky. The fishing village was very interesting!! The pearl site ok, but there was some definite pressure to buy something. We did as we needed a present for someone back home as well as felt that this supported the local economy in a positive way.
The boat was very comfortable and the food delicious. We had a 4 course lunch, a 4 course dinner, a big breakfast and a big lunch. It was way more food than we could eat. The bottles of wine were too expensive - here they could make some improvements. We would have liked something sparkling but the only champagne was over 100 bucks..??? We didn't like Norwegian prices in Vietnam!! The cabin was comfortable and clean. Our guide Hóang was very clever and spoke good English. We really enjoyed our trip, even inspite of the weather. If we had had sunny skies this would have been perfect. Highly recommend the Indochina company, very profession and great service by all (thank you too Ms Hong).

2 Thank tina o