Ana Mandara Villas Dalat Resort & Spa
  • Restaurant
Cam Do Hotel(Da Lat)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsvilla roomfrench villaspillow menuindividual villasescape the heatfour poster bedfrench styleheated poolliving roomhuge bathroomrelaxing staydalat towndogs barkingcommon areasbreakfast was deliciousmosquito nettaxi ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2008

If you are traveling to Dalat (or Da Lat if u prefer) in the highlands to the N.E of HCMC then I can recommend this hotel. Give the Sofitel etc a miss and head here instead. It is in a quite area on the outskirts of town but only a 50p/1US$ taxi ride from the town centre. Set in plenty of grounds the individual villas are well appointed and each has it's own butler(ess)!
Food and service is excellent and I could find no fault with the hotel, except............ dont break anything, a handle came off a cup that I was drinking from in the villa and I was charged 3US$ when leaving. Probably enough to buy a complete dinner service in Vietnam!.
I know the hotel manager reads Trip Advisor and I would urge him to withdraw this petty rule.
Overall an excellent hotel

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnVB
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Booked a weekend away in February for my wifes birthday. Given it was a special weekend I grabbed a suite room taking advantage one of the "stay two nights, get one night free" deals the resort had going. This took the room price of US$320++ per night to effectively half this. For this kind of money in Vietnam you really are expecting absolute luxury and the Evason just didnt quite get there.

Generally the service was excellent. We were greeted in villa by the General Manager (first time that has happened) and with only one exception - I got told to speak in English while trying out some of my Vietnamese and it was very embarassing! - I had no issue with manner of the staff which some previous reviewers obviously had.

The suite room itself was enormous. An upstairs separate lounge, a large king bed and a huge bathroom. I would agree that the furniture is somewhat spartan has that rustic, worn out look about it. I put it down to the style they were going for.

I did have a couple of small issues with the room - the shower area flooded badly and I couldnt for the life of me work out how to play a DVD (I am not technically inept!) and the TV was an old school clunky 20 inch one. I will admit somewhat small issues there... but remember the rack rate - this is not your US$25 flop house or a US$200 room. They want US$320 a night, so even in New York you'd expect something fairly good for that kind of money, let alone Vietnam.

The villa we were staying in had no kitchen and thus no fridge nor is there one in the room. However, credit was given to the staff who refridgerated the champagne we brought with us and then delivered it at the time requested along with an ice bucket, glasses AND a complimentary birthday cake for my wifes birthday. A nice touch.

The pool area is a very nice area to enjoy relaxing in during the day. I would agree with some of the other comments that the resort is definitely taking a little poetic licence with the word "heated". The gym is a little pokey but has a rower, treadmill, cycle and limited free weights for those in the mood.

We tried the restaurant out on our first night and got our first disappointment. We live in Vietnam (HCMC) and so have experienced some seriously good, reasonably priced Vietnamese food at some of the best restaurants in Saigon. The food here was average but extraordinarily expensive. We had intended to try one of their bbq's the following night but decided to chance our arm on a restaurant in town other than get fleeced for average overpriced fare two nights in a row. The bar area upstairs from the restaurant is worth visiting as cocktails were good and fairly priced.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and would definitely consider staying again - particularly if staying with a group of friends and hiring out an entire villa for ourselves. However there is no way I would stay without a similarly discounted price per room - the rack US$320 is truly extortionate - and will be bringing my own wine and food to cook in a villa with a kitchen.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We stayed at the Evason Dalat towards the end of two weeks in Vietnam. Previously to this we had been in both Hoi An and subsequently at the sister Evason Hideaway property in Nha Trang for three days. Having come from blazing heat on the beach we had been warned that the mountains would be freezing, we'd need jumpers and the weather would probably be raining - what a sales pitch!

Thankfully when we arrived the weather was lovely and warm (we wore shorts the two days we were there, although long sleeves were needed after dark!) and whilst only sunny for one of the two days there was no rain. The mountains themselves were a pleasant change from beach and a real contrast to much of what we had seen in Vietnam previously.

Having arrived by hotel transport from Nha Trang we were whisked through the check-in process to our room which we were pleased to find we had been upgraded. The room was spacious and had all the amenities you'd expect, although some of the furniture did look very dated and the bathroom certainly wasn't the most luxurious we'd seen. However, it was very clean and the balcony had a 270 degree panorama which was amazing.

We only ate at the hotel restaurant the two nights we were there and found the food great, with a lot of choice, inventive and tasty. Staff service here was great. Very attentive despite being full to capacity on our last night there.

We noticed no problems at all with the staff whilst we were there and indeed met the resort manager, general manager and new chef all of whom took time to stop and talk to us about our travels and the hotel and offer their assistance if required. It is personal touches like this that make you feel a much more valued guest, although this is obviously a lot easier in a smaller resort such as this. The only very minor staff issue we did notice was that our 'butler' for our villa was difficult to get hold of and we didn't find out what the leaving arrangements were or that our flights had been confirmed until the night before we left - but that was no problem at all and you'd have to be hyper critical if you felt this was the case.

We took two hotel tours while we were there in their vintage car, both of which we combined to make our own tour. These were great with the hotel guide being very informative, helpful and friendly in meeting our needs.

Overall, this was another excellent hotel during our stay in Vietnam.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2007

As a treat for my parents who were visiting Vietnam ( I currently live in HCM) I flew them to Dalat for what was to have been an idyllic highland spa getaway from the hustle/bustle of the city. I'd read about Evason, and was familiar with their Nha Trang property as well as Maldives location and thus confident this 'unique' property would afford a special experience.

At $220++ USD/night given the market (Dalat) I was confident that Evason would deliver thoughtful value-added benefits worthy of the rate.

I was mistaken.

The staff's indifference was evident upon our arrival when greeted by a rather passive staff member who fumbled through her arrival sheet trying to find our names, I had to point it out to her before she would relax enough to give us a "welcome" smile. The foyer was dimly lighted when we arrived in early evening with chilly winds making the open-air reception foyer very uncomfortable, a suggestion to lower the blinds to block the winds was met with an indifferent stare. Shortly before taking a shuttle to the villa an out-of-breath and disheveled man appeared extending a rather awkward welcome: it was the hotel GM.

Looking past our unique welcome and toward the villa we arrived to find a cold and drafty villa ( at the bottom of a flight of stairs to a kitchen area a door to the outside had been left wide-open). We asked our assigned butler if she could start fires in the (3) fireplaces to help warm the villa. She assured us she would while we went to tour the facilities. Upon our return nearly an hour later expecting a warm villa we were very disappointed to find a cold dark villa. Upon phoning her response was a dismissive "I forgot about that". Mind you the property was only 50% occupied so it was not like she was spread thin.

The interior of these "rustic" villas were very spartan, the living rooms very poorly lighted, and the chairs/sofa were chipped,worn, and their ergonomics did not invite one to spend any time there. The walls are bereft of any wall hangings or artwork to enliven the interior. The outside aesthetics were equally worn: moldings cracked, chipped paint, scruffy yardwork.
Overall the interior aesthetic and ambience was a real let down.

Moreover, as the property sits just outside (2 km) the city center but the road goes through a rather disheveled and downtrodden neighborhood a complimentary shuttle to the city would have been a great value added service; no such service existed, though the butler offered to call us a taxi (note: upon arriving in Dalat the taxi driver when instructed to Evason had no idea as to it whereabouts and had to call his dispatch several times.)

And whereas the gorgeous, sublime, and sumptuous Sofitel Dalat property (though less expensive than Evason) offers free shuttle service from Dalat's airport, the Evason charges $10 per person for the same service. While I understand cost economics of the hotel business the complete absence of such "thoughtful" or benefit-added services does little to mitigate the feelings of being "nickle&dimed" and underwhelmed when an experience in other aspects of the stay disappoint.

One attraction of the Evason was it's outdoor "heated" pool that looked so inviting. However upon testing the waters "heated" became yet another source of feeling underwhelmed as in "under-heated". When we mentioned this to our butler she said she would request the "heat" be increased.
The next morning it remained "chilly" and it came as no surprise that not one soul was seen in the pool the balance of our stay.

And one final disappointment. Though we knew breakfast was not included (the Dalat Sofitel includes breakfast in their magnificent dining room) there was little to eat the following morning from the menu that inspired us to go back to the restaurant. We did eat dinner (and drinks in the wineroom) as we were too tired to go into town, and while the food was enjoyable it was not altogether memorable.

Needless to say, we checked out after one night and spent the balance at the Sofital Dalat enjoying the tennis courts, sumptuous tea in the grand dining room, the splendid views over the lake, regal rooms, the warmth and thoughtful amenities of the library, and the sumptuous buffet breakfast.

For someone who has extensive travel experience and has enjoyed many of the finest properties in SE Asia I was very underwhelmed by the Evason Dalat, and score it very low
vis-a-vis its overall relative value to similar properties, ie Sofital Dalat, in the Dalat market.

BTW, I left this opinion with the Evason with email attached and to date have never received a follow-up response.

Enjoy Dalat.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank mackay33
Reviewed July 22, 2007

The Evason Ana Mandara Villas at Dalat is the great retreat for anyone looking for a QUIET vacation in Vietnam.

The resort is located in a secluded residential neighborhood in western Dalat. The 17 French villas that make up the resort are spread out among a small pine forest that overlooks Dalat’s rolling hills. Each villa and guest room has a distinct design which adds to the charm of the resort. Each villa also has a common living room and kitchen which would be especially nice if you were with a group that rented out the entire villa.

The rooms have a rustic feel to them but they are clean and have all the necessary amenities (toiletries, tv, dvd/cd, safe, internet access, mosquito net, etc). Each villa comes with a private butler although he/she is not actually based in your villa. I’m not sure a specific butler is actually assigned to your villa but there is somebody on-call 24 hours a day.

Villa 9 houses the resort’s one restaurant along with a wine bar and a few shops. The menu selection includes western and Vietnamese dishes and incorporates local organic fruits and vegetables in many of the dishes. The resort advertises that the chef will design a custom menu for anyone who has special dietary needs. The restaurant offers both indoor- and outdoor-seating along with two private group dining rooms and one romantic table for two on the wine bar balcony. Restaurant prices are average for a resort of this quality ($8-25 USD for mains).

The villa neighboring Villa 9 houses the temporary spa. Also neighboring Villa 9 is the resort’s fabulous heated pool. The pool area is the perfect place to read a book or fall asleep to the sounds of nature.

The Dalat market and Xuan Hoang Lake can be reached in 5 minutes by car or 30 minutes by foot. From the airport to the resort, it will take 30-45 minutes depending on the traffic going over the mountain pass.

Besides the peace and quiet, the best thing about this hotel is the quality of service. Customer service is usually horrendous in Vietnam, even at “4- and 5-star hotels” but the Evason Ana Mandara is a true exception. By no means is it perfect but the service is by far some of the best I’ve experienced in Vietnam.

I know foreign tourists come to Vietnam to experience the people and culture but if you’re looking for a break from the hustle and bustle, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple