“Nice Experience !!!”
Review of Newland Hostel

Newland Hostel
Ranked #166 of 514 Specialty Lodging in Da Lat
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I left Vietnam already a couple of months ago, but when I think back at my time i did in Vietnam then the Newland hostel in Da Lat is one of the places that pop up in my mind.
I met a bunch of very cool backpackers in that hostel and together with one of the owners of the hostel (Peaces) we had a nice couple of days. Peaces is the coolest guy I met during the month i stayed in Vietnam. With him and his bottle of rice wine we got drunk a couple of times and just around the corner you can eat some Bahn Mi!!
For a very economic price I got a bed in a dorm room with a breakfast included. They also organised an interesting full day trip to check out some places in Dalat. We went to a silk factory, a place where they make rice wine, a meditation centre with a big smiling buddha, an impressive waterfall and a place where they make the finest coffee out of weasel s h i t.
I hope one day I can come back and say hello to those people.
Not so long ago Peaces became father !!! Congratualations to his and his wife.

I'll be back

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Newlandhostel h, Owner at Newland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

thank you very much for your staying and review.
peace. hope to see you soon

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this lovely place for 2 nights.
Pro's: The price (5$)! Very clean. Great location, in the center of Da Lat. Nice, helpful, friendly staff. A nice breakfast is included, and varies every day.
The owner (Peace) does an amazing and cheap cooking class! Must-do if you visit!

Con: closes off at 11 pm, but dalat isn't a party-city anyway.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in February in the mixed doormroom. And it was an awesome experience. First of all - A really nice staff who are ready to help you, nice beds, good breakfast which you eat at a big table along with all the other travellers (cozy time) and a good location as well. This place has so far been the highlight of my trip - So if you want to visit Dalat then this place is the best! And you MUST take the cooking class and ask Peace to make his chicken with fish-sauce - It is delicious! And it is a great way to meet other travellers as well.
Top-rating from me!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Hostel was great. Very cute rooms and clean! Staff were also amazing. From the second I got there the staff were so friendly came out to greet us and were always more than happy to help with anything. They also make dinner if you want it for anyone at the hostel which you all eat together so it's a great way of meeting people and trying some local yummy food! Basic free breakfast is included to!

Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I found this hostel online and at first was a bit sceptical due to previous bad ratings here on tripadvisor. I was positively surprised though when I arrived to a friendly owner, clean rooms and the best showers of south-east Asia so far.
Comfortable beds, free breakfast, good wifi and great advice on day trips in and around Dalat by Peace, the chap who runs the place, made me want to stay more than the 3 nights I did.
Sitting in the reception area drinking Vietnamese coffee and 333s after a day of canyoning, motor biking or trekking we had a lot of fun with Peace.
Thank you so much for the fantastic time!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We booked a room but when we arrived they didn't have the booking and had no rooms left. After shifting some guests out of our room into the dorm we checked in.

We booked a Manuel motorbike which they forgot about and tried to charge us more for an automatic even though we had booked 2nights before. The bike was rubbish and broke down about 5k outside Dalat where we had to wait for an hour. Cheekily they tried to make us pay for the repairs to the bike too..

Arrived home at midnight one night (not too late I think) everything was locked and it took 20mins banging and ringing before an angry old lady who we'd never seen before came and shouted at us before letting us in.

On check out they attempted to charge an extra $2 per night although we'd agreed on a price previously.

Overall the guys are alright I think it wasn't intentional but they're just pretty incompetent in running a hostel.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank CCHopper88
Newlandhostel h, Owner at Newland Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

thank you for your stay at Newland hostel.. we would like to welcome you to go back...really nice to see you at Newland hostel.
sincerely
newland

Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Whilst the high point of this hostel is their amazing hot showers (although you must remember to ask them to turn the hot water on everytime) it is in a tiny dirty bathroom servicing 8 people with a blocked drain and a broken toilet. In an only girls dorm the male staff often came in unannounced and sometimes to use the bathroom which is weird and creepy. All the bedding is dirty and we never saw it changed when travellers checked out. People who booked tours and buses with them often got told the wrong time or wrong price and there always seemed to be a tense conversations between staff and traveller's as we walked through the lobby.

Perhaps the owners were away because it was the new year. Unfortunate though because this hostel has some serious potential if they got there act together.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Battambanging

dear guest.
thank you for your review. really appologized about that. cause of busy time so that's why we didnt look your booking. we wish you would have a good trip...
cheers