“Centrally located”

Hotel Dai Loi (Fortune Hotel)
Ranked #15 of 83 Hotels in Da Lat
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is near the lake,market and restaurants centrally located. Our room was small there is only a few inches between the corner of the bed and the door and the room needs more lighting.Dark colored furniture which makes the room darker.The room was damp probably because of the weather, it was foggy when we were there.The bathroom was not really clean, the floor sticky.Breakfast is Asian .Employees are really helpful esp. the restaurant staff which leaves an impression that they really wanted to please their guests.The girl on the reception help carry our bags.I think we get what we paid for.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Dai Loi (Fortune Hotel)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The hotel is located close to many of the shops in da lat and is not too far from the lake either. The breakfast spread is also quite nice.

The staff tries to be friendly, but the execution is flawed. I was asked to move rooms on my second day because a large group was coming in and they wanted to ensure I wasn't disturbed, so they told me they were upgrading my room. After an interesting shuffle about how to move my luggage, I found the new room smaller than the first with worse wifi reception. The hotel staff was banging around at 5:30 am near my room, and that work me up, so much for being undisturbed.

In fairness to the staff they universally smiled and did help me book an early morning taxi. However, for the price in da lat I remain convinced you can find a better value.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very warm greeting, the receptionist has excellent English and was very helpful even taking us up to our room and explaining how everything worked. The rooms are spacious and very clean, on day two we were moved to a balcony room which was lovely. Breakfast is quite Asian but the lady in charge was quick to find us lovely fresh rolls and a jar if local strawberry jam and also made us a tasty omelet. The markets and lake are less than 5 minutes easy walk away, very centrally located.
I noticed some complaints about noise and security however a safe with combo and key is provided and noise is acceptable given the location and price.
I thoroughly recommend this hotel for those who want to "dip their toe" into the real Vietnam while still being in a clean and safe environment. I am usually an Australian 5 star only guest but I would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela R
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We were there in Dalat for 2 days, when we arrived Dai Loi Hotel, we were informed that our room is occupied even though we had booked it earlier through booking.com. However, thi staff whose name was Lyna, made it up to us. Not only that she provided us breakfast, she arranged our transport ad luggage transfer to a better hotel known as Best Western Dalat Palace (but we still find that Dai Loi Hotel deserved a better rating). Lyna also arranged our transportation to Perambulate around Dalat area and got us cheaper rate too. She even followed us to Dalat Palace to help us check in even though we find that it's really her responsibility to do it, we find that she really is prioritising her customers. And that itself deserved a better rating. However the location is slightly further down to Dalat Market, but it's manageable to walk around without feeling lethargic under the cool weather.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed in Dai Loi Hotel at the beginning of April. Transfer driver from the bus station found it easily if you call it Dai Loi and not Fortune Hotel - my mistake.

Location is actually good. It's not right in the centre but it is easy to walk around. As a solo female traveller the walk for me was fine.

The hotel is so clean, it's amazing :) the lobby and rooms, everywhere. Incredible asian deco - you'll know what I mean when you see it. Staff spoke good English were super friendly, welcoming and really, really helpful. In fact they made the stay for me.

I requested a room on a high floor and got one, with not a bad view! Limited noise at this height but then I live in Asia so used to the cockerels etc, no problem for me. The room was massive, huge bed, and bathroom, with furniture all in perfectly good working order. Really comfortable and as I said super clean.

Breakfast was great.. they had eggs, good bread and yummy yoghurt. Made a real change :)

In conclusion, it may not look the most modern or have ikea furniture, but the staff and the quality of service outweigh anything else. It is excellent value for what it is.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with two of my friends for two nights.

First, my cellphone was stolen by one of the staff members after he saw me dropping it as i was getting out of the taxi. Luckily we managed to catch him by using the hotel security cameras, and eventually the cellphone was returned to me by the receptionist. I was informed that the man who had stolen it was fired the same day. The hotel management didn't approve any sort of compensation for the taxis that we paid from our pocket as we drove around town tracing our steps to find the phone, under the hilarious excuse that the theft occurred outside the hotel ( 5 meters) and did not took any responsibility for their employee ( the excuse "we fired him so it is not our responsibility" was also used ).

Our laundry was forgotten because the receptionist that received it was sick and did not pass the information to her replacement.

The rooms have ventilation holes in the walls, which makes the rooms very very noisy ( we woke up at 5 am each day because of the roosters).

The breakfast is OK, but in Vietnam we have seen much better for less money

To summarize, I highly recommend to stay as far as possible from this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Fortune_HotelVietNam, Manager at Hotel Dai Loi (Fortune Hotel), responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

the staff didn't steal the phone. He picked it up on the road, outside hotel.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Hubby and I are in a bit of a quandry over how to review this hotel as we really liked it and the staff but got a bit irritated with the constant road noise at night (we did have ear plugs with us so that helped a bit). Arriving at the hotel, we were really pleased with our choice as we got a lovely warm welcome and our room was bright, spaceous, very clean and had a big bed and corner bath with shower. The staff were all lovely and the young girl on reception sorted out a room fan for us (I'm sure she thought we were mad as all the locals were wrapped up in jumpers and duffle coats as they think it cold) and she also changed some dollars for hubby who couldn't be bothered walking to the other side of town to change it at a bank. The owner is friendly and she kept trying to get us to eat more food at breakfast. You get a lot of Vietnamese tourists in Dalat (Honeymoon city) and as such, the breakfast was a feast of Vietnamese delights (lots of stuff we hadn't seen before). It was only as we settled down to go to sleep on the 1st night that we really noticed the noise from the road and the constant pamping of bikes, cars and lorry's as they make their way round the bend that the hotel sits on. The hotel has loose fitting windows and large airvents in the walls so the noise gets in very easiliy. The noise does subside later on but starts up at 5am, an hour after the cockrel next door starts its 'cock a doodle do' nonsence! We noticed that the locals drive a little faster and a bit more agressively in Delat and this pushes the road noise up a bit (you have to be a bit more careful when crossing the road as they dont really slow down and drive around you as they did in Hanoi and Saigon). The noise isn't really the hotels fault but if they were looking to spend a bit of money in the hotel, then a new set of double glazed windows for the rooms at the front would make push this from a very good hotel to an excellent one. The hotel does have rooms at the back which would be a bit quieter but I think they are the smaller rooms (not totally sure about this though). Locationally, it's near the V cafe and Escape bar whch are both good places to go to at night. The hotel was worth the money and we were really thankful for the packed breakfast that they gave us when we left at 6am to catch our next flight at 8am. The hotel sorted out a taxi transfer for us to the airport for 200k VND which was good (takes about 30 minutes).

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have to be a bit quiter from the road noise but nonetheless, bring ear plugs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple