“Simply the Best”

Ranked #22 of 319 Restaurants in Da Lat
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: For the train lovers from around Vietnam and the rest of the world.The Dalat Train Cafe is open from 8am to 10pm, and is available for private parties, corporate functions, weddings, birthdays, outdoor barbeque dinners, etc.The menu includes a good selection of international dishes, Vietnamese dishes, coffees, teas, cocktails, and a wine list featuring French, Chilean and Vietnamese wines. A few dishes are made especially for the blue-colored train cafe, including the Blue Train Pizza, and the Blue Cheese Burger.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I took my girlfriend to propose to her on Christmas eve at the Dalat Train Cafe. Thank god she said yes!!! But the owner Curtis made our experience memorable!

He greeted us at the entrance of the restaurant. We walked into the train where the lights were dim and the music was soft. It was very romantic. Since it was Christmas eve, we had the whole train to ourselves. It was perfect. The decor inside was really beautiful. Our table was decorated with roses! My fiance was in love!!

As we were waiting for our food, the lights went out. Luckily Curtis had candles lit within seconds to give us an even more romantic experience. What topped it off was this old phonograph he had that played old tracks, so had the privileged to listen to the phonograph with candles on a beautiful Christmas eve night.

The food was excellent! I had the burger while my fiance had the pasta. Then after we finished our meal, Curtis brought us a cake which read "Will you marry me". Dude knew how to create a performance of a lifetime.

Overall, we loved everything about Dalat Train Cafe. Curtis is a top notch host. I give this place 2 big thumbs up!

3  Thank ZeusK

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Came here for a visit. Quite a quaint place. The mixed berries smoothie was really good while the rest were alright. Nice place for photos but that is abt it.

1  Thank Deividz
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We found this restaurant on trip advisor and also got recommended to go here by the V café in the centre of Dalat. The restaurant is out of the main centre of Dalat and will more than likely require a taxi to get there which is what we did. From the centre of town to the restaurant it only cost 50VND for me and my boyfriend. The taxi dropped us off at the gate of what looked like a row of houses, we followed the road road by foot and you soon see signs for the restaurant which if you follow you will arrive at the front gate.

The train is lovely and the owner has done a really good job of converting it into a cafe for people to enjoy. The setting is really nice, on the side of the hill looking down upon other houses in the valley with a nice garden that you can also sit in to eat if you didn't want to sit in the train. The setting is very peaceful, the only thing we would say is they play music inside the train which when we arrived was on quite load but they turned it down for us which wasn't a problem atall.

We ordered lasagne and fried rice with a side of chips and a mango and banana shake. The lasagne was made with mozzarella which was very different to the Traditional English/Italian lasagne, it wasn't presented particularly nicely just whopped on a plate with lots of sauce but it tasted good. The rice was ok, not the best we have had but still fresh and clean. The chips were a huge portion which compared to other restaurants was really good as most places you seem to just get a hand full, they also had Heinz ketchup which is the first place in Vietnam that has had it. The shake was really good and cold which was nice. The food was a bit pricey at an average of around 100VND for one dish and for what we received it wasn't much different to other restaurants that were much cheaper. Saying that the atmosphere was great with a peaceful setting and to eat in a train carriage was something very different.

All in all a different place to eat with a nice atmosphere but you pay for that in the price of the food.

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I could be bothered to write a review on Trip Advisor due to my inherent laziness. However, I sit here now in the 1910's train carriage of the 'Da Lat Train Villa and Cafe', after having just had an amazing dinner with my wife. Dinner was first cocktails, blue cheese burger, pasta salad + beer - all excellent and big portions. We'd been eating a lot of Vietnamese food so fancied a change and this hit the nail on the head.

We were the only ones eating tonight and we were astonished that this place is not better known (our Vietnamese hotel owner didn't know this place at all). My iphone / Trip Advisor App quotes it as being far away from the Dalat centre, but that is horse poo. It was a two-three dollar drive from the centre and very close to the train station. Don't be out off by the dark alley leading up to it from the Main Street. It was only 200m or so and then opened up into a lovely courtyard area, and our taxi took us the whole way. Whilst the owner is clearly a lover of old-skool trains and Blues music, it was all tastefully done and to a high quality. There was also plenty of outdoor chairs / umbrellas to sit outside and enjoy the views over Da lat.

In summary, great atmosphere, great food, excellent service and a cool setting. Recommended to all :)

Andrew & Martina
England / Austria

Reviewed November 27, 2013

It took a while for my taxi guy to find it, but im glad he did! Great setting, views, lighting, and recommended for sunset. It is set in a restored old train car complete with old photos and other old items. I enjoyed the chill music, other people hanging out there, and the pizza was great too! Definitely recommend it!