“Unusual flavours, impressed overall”

Artist Alley Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 296 Restaurants in Da Lat
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Artist Alley restaurant is renamed of News And New Art Cafe.Owner Vo Trinh Bien, a famous artist in Vietnam. Artist Alley restaurant located in the end of Truong Cong Dinh street, in the alley. We serve coffee, vietnamese food and western food, especialty, steaks. Weekly traditional Vietnamese music performances.
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

The menu offers a few dishes that are a bit different to the norm, and I ordered chicken stewed in local vegetables (maybe not quite the name but along these lines). It included quite a few items that I had never tried before such as ginseng root, some small native apples and lotus seeds. Ingredients were fresh, the meat was tender and all round a good experience. Other meals in our group were also well received.

The owner/painter was a pleasure to deal with and we left satisfied.

1  Thank GoneWandering

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We went to this place last night, and found it to be what most people said it would be. The staff and surroundings were lovely. Menu and food were of a good standard for the price, certainly not over priced like many Dalat places, but it was after the meal that the truely novel experience occured when Mr Bien artist and owner did 4 finger painted art works for us at our table, with amazing skill and speed. These he signed and presented to us to take home,free of charge, we will certainly hang them on return home. All together a lovel and unique experience.

1  Thank Oldieaus
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Having read all the rav reviews about this place we went there to dinner. Full of other Westerners whom I suspect had also read the reviews which were proudly displayed in the menu.

Decor was not at all the flamboyance I had suspected nor was the artist, both very unassuming. He was going from table to table doing his finger painting, whilst we ordered.

I chose capsicum stuffed with pork mince and my husband stuffed calamari and stir fry vegetables. Well we knew we were in strife when both dishes arrived on plates with cutlery. The vegetables were the best, my husband's calamari was rubbery and mine was just awful. When you don't speak the language it is hard to complain and they didn't question that we left most of it. We ordered thankfully only a glass of the Dalat "excellence" wine (weren't offered any tastings or free wine as other reviews had mentioned) and it was pretty ordinary to be polite.

Yes, we did get a finger painting of our initials but left as soon as possible as it was so stuffy my poor husband thought he was going to be ill. After this I am handing over the controls of where to have dinner to him I was so disappointed by the food and the whole ambiance, I really wanted to ask the other Westerners what they thought, but didn't want them thinking what a rude Aussie.

1  Thank SuzannahA
newart70, Owner at Artist Alley Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thanks for your feedback but you really do not properly reflect truly .I have asked you about how the squid dish while you were eating, you answered it good. Before you left our restaurant i also asked you how your dinner , you said to me that it is good and did not forget to say thank you to me for the painting what i drew for you.
  We have had many kinds of Dalat wine what you can ask for free to try but you did not require and ordered 2 glasses of Dalat excellent wine and we offered you the roasted peanuts.
  We hope you have a great time in Vietnam.

Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We are now travelling two weeks in Vietnam. This is the best good we had this days. Very nice staff there, the good was excellent. We are very thankfull for the painting.

Tomorrow we will go back for sure.

The snowballs are delicious.

From Holland our compliments

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was by far the best Restaurant in Dalat. The owner / manager had recently shifted from premises of similar name due to a dispute but we were highly impressed with everything offered here. Finger painting demonstrations, chef secret tips in addition to a highly knowledgeable and friendly manager made this visit a very positive experience. Mr Bien completed all his own decore and had some amazing art on display. Food and Dalat wine was great.

1  Thank Jim C