“Gorgeous but only if you want to chill”

Dalat Edensee Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 77 Hotels in Da Lat
singapore
“Gorgeous but only if you want to chill”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The pluses for The hotel is that the main building is awesome - full of marble and right now has the most amazing Xmas decor. the rooms - you must book a lake view one - are lovely with huge bathroom.but from what I can see from the outside , the ones to go for are the camellia suites.wifi is fast. I am typing this in my room right now with no problem and free.

Minuses- it is really a hotel where you make your own fun or just want to chill and enjoy the view. Occupancy is not high on weekdays from what I observe so it does not have a bustling vibe. For those who want to wake up to the sounds of birds chirping , pine scented clean fresh air, pet the deer at the small enclosure with 2 of the most gorgeous peacocks I have ever seen this is the place to be. If not , stay in town as the transfer from town to hotel costs us$10 per time unless you take the shuttle.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MCRsgp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 11, 2013

This hotel needs to be seen to be believed. It's more like a mansion in the middle of a gigantic landowner's estate - the lobby is huge and so is the main restaurant. Everything is made of marble [or at least a really good marble replica - I don't pretend to be an expert on marble] and the decor is just stunning. We visited in December so the whole place was done up with Christmas decorations - just beautiful.

The hotel rooms themselves are villa-style, 4 rooms per villa. They're all spread out over the grounds and you'll be sent to yours when you check in via golf buggy. The rooms are very comfortable - spacious [the bathroom was the same size as the bedroom/living room] with two heaters that mimic fireplaces as Dalat is in the mountains and can get quite cold at night in December. Ours overlooked the lake [on warmer days you could sit out on the balcony and just enjoy the peace and quiet, plus the view of the lake through the pine trees] and we hardly saw any other tourists or customers there the entire weekend. It is so quiet you could believe you were in the middle of a forest - technically, you kind of are because the hotel is very far out away from the city area and the only other thing nearby is the golf resort.

The reason I gave the hotel 'average' for location is that if you're not familiar with the place [as we were] getting here can be a bit of a hassle initially. We took a sleeper bus in from Ho Chi Minh and arrived around 7am, and there were shuttle buses from the bus station that were sending people wherever they wanted to go. Not being able to speak any Vietnamese [oh and also, importantly - the hotel is known to taxi drivers and locals as 'Eden', not Edensee. Nobody knew what we were talking about at first when we told them we wanted to go to Edensee Hotel.] it was quite difficult to get the shuttle bus driver to know where we wanted to go and finally they told us that the shuttle buses don't go to the hotel. We found out why when we took a taxi in - it's really quite far away from the city. Not to worry though because there is a shuttle from the hotel to the city in and out a few times a day, and the view along the way is breathtaking. And honestly, if you're staying a few days, you don't need to go to the city. Just stay in the hotel and luxuriate :)

We booked two tours through the hotel - one for the city and the other for the countryside, and we had an excellent guide called Tommy who drove us around [he also drives the shuttle to the city]. He was so friendly and unobstrusive, pointing out things here and there but not pushing us to do or see things that we didn't want. It felt more like travelling with a friend than a local guide. I won't go into the details of the tours as this is a hotel review but please do book at least one if you have the time.

The service at the hotel was good - apart from a little snag at the start where a particular receptionist had no idea what to do because we hadn't brought our passports with us and insisted we either try to remember our passport numbers or surrender some other kind of identification for the entire duration of our stay - and the staff was very well-trained and helpful. We felt very well taken-care of.

I feel like going back to Dalat just so I can spend more time at this hotel. There is a heated indoor pool, tennis courts, a spa and numerous rooms you can spend a quiet afternoon in. There are pine trees and rose bushes everywhere as well. Probably the most beautiful hotel I've ever been to.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Coolamon, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

So let me start by saying the setting is absolutely gorgeous, right on the lake and the buildings are very grand. Not to my taste though, it feels like it is trying too hard and only appeals to a certain demographic of antique, guild frame and huge chandelier loving people. I did not get a warm and welcoming feeling at all from the staff. Being in my late 20s maybe they thought I wasn't posh or rich enough to be staying here. The shuttle bus thing bugged me. The timings weren't very good and whilst we got one in, we had to catch a taxi back, it is a bit out of town too, which would be fine if the shuttle service was more regular. I agree with the tigers, that, the staff aren't forthcoming with information about what to do around the area and I was very disappointed that there was no walking track around the lake for us to actually enjoy a stroll around it.
I have stayed at 5 star resorts before and always been welcomed and made to feel so valued, here I felt as though anything I asked was an inconvenience and the staff treated me like I was not worthy of staying there.
I think you could find better places to stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This resort is absolutely fantastic and well worth a visit for even a long period.

We stayed in a house near the lake with a fantastic view and we really enjoy the scenery.

The food was gourmet style breakfast and fantastic gourmet dinners for lunch and dinner, I can highly recommend this resort as one of the best I have been to. The staff are outstandingly good and very service minded, the owners should be proud.

Room Tip: Select a house near lake
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tho V
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Attended wedding here. Management, miss Tien, only interested in money. Asked bride and groom to pay in middle of wedding! No facilities for outdoor function in wet weather. Display wet before couple saw it. POOR!
No respect for bride and groom.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jan W
Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

At the last minute we decided to change from our cheap central hotel to the edensee and we were very pleased with our choice. It was about £100 for two people for two nights including breakfast. The room was amazing, clean ad large and closer to a suite than a hotel room.

Other reviewers in her have commented on the staff being unfriendly. I didn't not find this. The staff were clearly well trained and helped out whenever they were asked. Did they approach is to enquire about our lives? No. But this is a high quality hotel and I would expect that elsewhere either.

We are in the restaurant one night and the food was lovely. Very satisfying portions, although a little inflated in price for Vietnam. We had two courses with two alcoholic drinks and two non alcoholic drinks and it was £44 which is expensive for Vietnam!!!

The only disappointment I had with the hotel was the spa. We booked a 60min Vietnamese spa and I was disappointed with the quality. The foot massage for me was non existent, where as my husband having the same massage got one, my back was bruised the next day and the head massage was painful. This was also an inflated price and disappointed me more as we book a spa hotel so we could relax after a full day hiking in the jungle.

All in all the hotel is beautiful and relaxing and I would definitely recommend it. Just don't book a massage!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It doesn't happen often but it does happen finding that hidden gem that is. Well i recently took a tour group to Vietnam and had Footprint (my in country tour operator) book us into the Edensee Lake Resort at Dalat. As we entered the foyer we all had to take a breath, the sheer beauty was incredible. At once the staff were in action pandering to our every need first an upgrade, then oh you have driven from Sia gon lets get you settled in and then here go to the health club and have a free massage, a free dinner for you tonight and to top it off a room upgrade. This treatment went on for the duration of our stay. Staff eager to converse with you at every turn. Yes the Edense is a little out of town please do not let this put you off as the shuttle bus will have you in Dalat in 10-15 mins. On one occassion the shuttle bus was full no problem a driver and car made available imediately and off we went.
The resort: World class and more overlooking a lake quiet, serene peaceful tucked away in a pine plantation.
Facilities: Edensee has it all tennis, pool, golf (near by) lake activities health centre and more.
Staff: As good as i have ever encounted world wide, so beautifil,friendly, helpful but most of all genuine and really want to interact.
Location: Perfect out of the hustle and bustle so beatiful and peacefully quiet.
Anyone going to Dalat i urge you to stay at the Edensee, I was going to keep this a secret but that would be selfish.
Best of all it is so well priced,

Room Tip: A lake view room is the way to go small balcony chill out zone and very well priced. Have a few dr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends