“Nobody wrote a comment on the restaurant and it is the main reason to stay there”
Review of Dalat Plaza Hotel

Dalat Plaza Hotel
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in Da Lat
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Best Western collected a nice chain of hotels in Europe, we experienced the do the same in Asia. Dalat Plaza is a hotel of solid quality with the reservation convenience offered by Best Western. For a nice tariff you get a well equiped and spacious room, a rather asian oriented breakfast . But what very few people seem to know is the quality of the restaurant offering very nice local dishes and pleasant local Dalat wine ( "Excellence" is the brand to go for). A little bit more cleaning would have delivered an "excellent" rating. The city center is at walking distance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bbb05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The hotel is located in 5 minutes of walking from city center. The room small, but pure, all necessary is. Hot water is, linen pure. The breakfast is very poor and calculated on the Asian travelers. The hotel personnel very wasn't pleasant. When you pass by on a reception of 3-5 persons and all at once turn away with cloudy persons. At departure have asked the personnel, the shatll-bus in the airport stops, on what have answered us. What yes it will be in 5 PM. We have come To hotel at 16:30 and looking in a window have seen that the bus in the airport passes by, girls have calmed us and have told that for us will arrive in 5 PM. In 5 PM the bus hasn't arrived. We have asked to call a taxi, but even in 10 minutes of a taxi hasn't arrived. We have gone out of doors and took a taxi for one minute.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristina2010_11
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The ONLY good thing is a comfortable room

The trimmings of this hotel are nice, but the service and management could be improved greatly.

On our first night, as we were checking in, we encountered a very surly, bossy receptionist. One woman had already told us we could keep our valuable touring bicycles in a storage closet inside the hotel, but the surly receptionist immediately came over and barked "no!" at us, insisting we keep them in the parking garage outside. She insisted that the hotel garage was very secure, telling us that it was IMPOSSIBLE for the bikes to be stolen, and said the only risk was "in [our] heads". I asked, if that was true, if the hotel would agree pay replacement cost if the bikes were actually stolen, to which she said it would, but her whole demeanor was bossy, condescending, and snappish from the very beginning (when she took it upon herself to get involved in our conversation with the other receptionist). Her attitude continued the following day when we asked for breakfast vouchers for the next morning. She insisted rudely that she had given us two days' worth, when she hadn't (and it would have been impossible for her to, since we had only just extended our stay). She gave them to us in the end, but not before making us feel uncomfortable and unwelcome.

The included breakfast buffet at the hotel was another ordeal. The staff frequently let food and drinks run empty and just appeared to stand around chatting with each other.  If the idea is to prevent wasted food, the hotel should consider having guests order breakfast from a set menu rather than having a buffet. As it was, I wasted a great deal of time by having to ask the staff (and then wait for the rather inefficient staff) to bring more of various items. One morning, we arrived an hour before the breakfast time ended, only to find many of the trays empty. I had been feeling sick so wanted some simple, bland food, but everything I asked for them to replace--bananas, wheat toast, strawberry jam--they insisted the hotel had run out of. I ended up asking a manager about the food that had run out, and she told me she would send someone out to buy more and bring it to me. While she did do this, and I appreciated her trying to solve the problem, this should not happen at a hotel that has a daily breakfast buffet and repeatedly offers the same items. While I was waiting, I spotted one banana on a table where the staff worked, and asked about it. Apparently, the staff was keeping it for some reason, and when I asked, they said, "oh, there is just one left" and offered it to me. Whether they were hoarding food from paying guests or whether it had fallen on the floor previously and then gave it to me to eat, neither is good. VERY unprofessional overall.

At the moment, I am back in my room and I can hear music playing from the speakers in the hallway, as it has been since 7:00 am, when it kept me awake.

The room itself is really the only positive thing about this hotel--the bed is very comfortable with decent-quality white linens, the decor tasteful in cream colour and wood, and the bathroom clean and modern with excellent water pressure in the shower. Honestly, however, I have had far superior overall experiences at hotels in Vietnam that cost much less than this one.

• Stayed February 2012
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We liked our room (although we had no view), and the bed was excellent, however the service from the staff was atrocious. We found them to be a bit surly and unhelpful. The breakfast was great if you want Vietnamese or Chinese food, but they constantly ran out of western food and certain fruit. They even ran out of strawberry jam, which this region is renowned for. Clearly, the managerial staff isn't doing their job, or simply don't care.

• Stayed February 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Brilliant bed, comfy, big.
Loved the shower: hot, great water flow, awesome shower head.
Location: perfect - 5-8min walk from the market
Huge rooms, good service
Breakfast: HUGE vietnamese selection plus decent bread and egg options. Great Pho. One tip though, get there early for the best selection (0700).
Wifi:good connection (although for some reason facebook is blocked?)

The only negative (and this was a big negative for me) was the fact that you can smoke in the hotel (which I've noticed happens a lot in Vietnam), however in this case the Best Western doesn't have air conditioning or good ventilation in the rooms therefore our room smelt like an ashtray. I'd read this in previous reviews and thought "it's just a smell, it won't matter, I'll get used to it" but not so. It was like having your face rubbed in an ashtray. Our eyes stung from it and I could barely sleep. It was really foul. I hated being in the room. Such a shame. Who smokes in a hotel???? Terrible fire hazard, dirty and smelly. Only reason I'm giving it a 3/5 and not 4,and the only reason I'm downgrading my sleep quality, cleanliness and rooms rating (there were cigarette butts in the lifts - not the hotels fault but merely dirty guests).

Room Tip: Im not sure if they provide AC but if so, get a room that has it to improve air quality.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Leecej
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This hotel is a nice place to stay. The rooms are clean (although the cleaners forgot twice to replace the towels) and the service is good. The breakfust buffet is filled with a loth of Asian food, but they have also nice fried eggs. When we were there, their were a lot of families with small children. The location is very good, because you can walk to the center of Da lat and the rooms on the front give a good view.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front give a good view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnjavanAndel
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Answered emails promptly and when I made a mistake with the booking dates they made changes without a problem. Met by the bellboy with a great smile - instantly made us feel welcome. Hotel is well situated. Great price for the room: comfy bed, nice linens, super hot water, safe and kettle provided. Internet worked well. Flat screen TV had good English channels. Room was clean but unfortunately, the floor was filthy – our feet were black in 10 minutes. Friendly sweet staff. Mini bar prices were reasonable. Decent breakfast with a variety of Asian choices and some Western with egg station.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, ask for a non-smoking room and if you're a light sleeper, let them know.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple