“Perfect backpacker's eaterie”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Went there for lunch based on the Lonely Planet recommendation. It was about 2:30pm in the afternoon, so I had the restaurant to myself.

Understandably, the service was friendly and rapid. Food was good and the portions quite generous. Chocolate Café is simple and unassuming and it caters mostly to backpackers and budget travelers.

So if you are not looking for anything special, plain old good comfort food, this place is perfect for you! However, if you want something a little more sophisticated, then perhaps you should give it a pass.

Offers pretty good value, what with the tasty food and the big portions. Nothing more, nothing less. . .

There are newer reviews for Chocolate Restaurant

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Food ok, nothing outstanding but cheap and tasty. Vietnamese coffee was one of the better coffee's I've had at Dalat.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was in here with some of my friends yesterday. The weather was quite cold so we were very happy to find this restaurant and had some hot chocolate before dinner. Everything was very smooth, nice staff, nice food and cozy room.

However, things got terrible when we had our bill. We ordered "cá kho tộ" (sauteed fish) with average price on the menu. When we looked at the bill, our fish was sauteed salmon with much higher price. We could not believe this because our fish had white meat, while most salmon has red meat. In addition, there is no sauteed salmon in the menu, so how come we ordered it in first place.

My friend (who paid the bill) suggested that she need the chef to confirm that the fish was a salmon, then she would pay the the bill. Well, then the chef came, and she was in quite bad mood, I guess. She spoke to us loudly, and she asked if we don't want to pay for the salmon, why we was happy to eat the fish. When we replied that because we didn't think that was a salmon, the chef even spoke loudlier, acccused us for eating without paying. My friend was very angry, and she began to argue with the chef. That was a very noisy and terrible scene.

Luckily, the owner came up. She said sorry to us and explained that maybe the man who took the order misunderstood us. We paid our bill, and left. The owner is very nice lady but the argument left a bad taste in my mouth. I never come back to this restaurant again for sure.
And yes, if you want to order cá kho tộ here, remember to clarify that you want or don't want salmon. That may helps you to avoid an unwanted argument.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a dinner there and ordered Pho soup to start as it was chilly night . I did tried many, they mostly good, but this one was the best I had in Vietnam. It was light and fragrant; the quality of stock they use is outstanding, very well balance with spices; it was absolutely delicious. We had a taste of local Dalat white wine (not the export release) and it was very good. Fish and seafood was fresh, nicely cooked and beautifully presented.
The service and ambiance were excellent, waiting staff very friendly and helpful, especially the guy that served us was just great and very artistic (sorry did not ask his name).
We had a good time, I would recommend this place to everyone.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch in this place many times. Very nice place, located on a cozy street. Kind stuff. What is important they speak English and can easily understand what do you want. The restaurant also has several options of tosts and sandwiches which you can hardly find in Dalat. There are also some delicious sweets like fried ice-cream.

2  Thank spacetec