“Island Safari”

Island Safari
Ranked #266 of 289 things to do in Phuket
Type: Other
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I wish I had read the reviews before booking this tour. Everything said is true! The driver was a whole half hour late. Then he kept making wrong turns by taking shortcuts which ended up worse. And he drove like a mad man. He honked at every car on the road and I was really fearing for our lives. The only good thing was that my kids actually managed to sleep through the entire 1 hr hell ride, while I kept praying that we won't crash. When at long last we reached, the driver just left us there and drove off without letting us know the arrangements. Then even more ridiculous is the whole safari thing. The Thai boxing was only 1 Thai guy showing us a few moves, no boxing at all. The rubber tapping is a guide showing a rubber tree that's half tapped, the rice farming is the guide telling us how rice is planted and processed,..... U get the idea. Everything s so fake. The monkey show was the worse. 1 monkey on a leash and the MC was going through the motion. Boring, unless you want to ride on the elephants and the ox cart for the heck of it. Big no go!

1  Thank Wenglairene

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Booked an atv white water rafting and fish spa tour.Started with the fish spa.Well there were barely any fish in the tanks and the ones that were weren't interested at all.Next our 1/2 hr ATV ride.The bikes were very poorly maintained my one kept stalling and my husbands side foot guard flew off as he was riding.Our 1/2 hr ride was only about 15 mins.Back into the mini van to our rafting part of the tour.The rafting itself was the highlight of the day,very enjoyable and scenic.The downside was the guides kept nagging us for a tip.I tip almost everyone overseas but considering how bad the first half of our tour was I did not want to tip and found it annoying how the kept hounding me for money.Now our buffet lunch.It looked yummy enough and grabbed a plateful but when I went to take a bite it was cold not even lukewarm.Not wanting to risk getting sick I did not eat any of it as obviously it had been sitting around for hours unheated. I would not recommend these tour operators at all well below standard,it spoilt what should have been a great day out.

2  Thank Heidiloves2travel
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Right from the moment we were picked up this day just got worse. We went to James Bond island in phang Nga bay which is awfully overcrowded and unpleasant. The tour guide was unfriendly and unhelpful. We were herded on and off buses and boats many times all day and spent the majority of the day in transit between 'attractions'. The worst was most likely the fruit garden tour, basically a 15 minute drive to a place with a few mangosteen trees to have a look around, the.n another drive back to the park.
If you support animal rights make a stance and don't go to support elephant trekking and elephant and monkey shows.
The generally awful day was capped off when at 4:30 when we were waiting to be taken back to Phuket, we had to wait for some members of the group to go quad biking. So basically we were forced to partake in 6 or 7 different boring activities, but due to poor organisation we had to wait an extra 1.5 hours while other people completed the tour. We sat in the minivan. Terrible traffic back to Phuket meant that we spent probably 5 hours in the bus that day. I implore you not to bother with this terrible company.

1  Thank James T
Reviewed November 13, 2012

There's nothing to shout about for these following activities.i won't even consider them mediocre:
Elephant show
Monkey show
Fish spa
Visit to fruits garden

some additional comments abt other activities :
1) Elephant trekking was supposed to be for 30 mins.but we were given only 15 mins.
2) ATVs are ancient.they're fragile are not maintained well and get damaged easily. also, staff running this activity are not trained in the hospitality industry and are also too young to handle conflict situations
3) after most activities, staff ask for tips (as if customers do not already pay enough)
4) activities are poorly organized and lots of time wasted on waiting for your turn in popular activities.
5) other than the tour agent, nobody speaks even basic english.

the only activity which was worthwhile was the whitewater rafting.I've nothing else good to say abt this operator or their activities.

Pls don't waste your time and money here.

3  Thank Kev77a
See more reviews
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We came to go elephant trekking and paid 1000 thb pp for 45 mins (you can choose 30, 45 or 60), but only got 30mins. The "trek" was a short little walk around inside the site, not really seeing anything other than the elephant drinking some water from a stream..
When we told the reception of the shorter time, we were offered to do the same round again, only in 15 mins.. they told us that they always go the same round, only slower if you pay for longer time.. after a bit of arguing, we got to see a monkey show instead, as the place apparently gives no refunds.. elephant show was fun (included in "trek" price), but monkey show was borderline.. monkey was amusing, but on a leash the whole time. We went away with an aftertaste not knowing whether we had just witnessed animal abuse or not..
Would not recommend if the main point of trip is to ride elephants.. find somewhere that actually takes you off site and gives better value.