“Very average course, overpriced for the experience”

Blue Canyon Country Club
Ranked #211 of 480 Outdoor Activities in Phuket
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very average course, overpriced for the experience”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I am a single digit index golfer and had been eagerly looking forward to playing the Canyon course at Blue Canyon (based on a recommendation from a golf industry friend). I was very disappointed with my experience there.

Pros:
Back nine had a nice, challenging layout.

Cons:
5500 baht is way overpriced. 3000 baht would make more sense.
Front nine layout was unmemorable.
Draining of greens and bunkers was terrible (we had some intermittent rain during the round). Lots of casual water on the greens, in the bunkers, and on the course.
Caddie was useless. She spent most of her time texting on her phone. I would always arrive at my ball first and wait between 30 seconds to a minute for the caddie to show up. This just delays the round for us and anyone else out on the course.

The Canyon course has the bones to be a great course once again. With some work on the drainage issues, as well as some serious training for the caddies, this course can provide a much better experience. At this time, however, for the equivalent of $180 for a round, the course is not worth it.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank dcyemail

phuket
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Blue Canyon”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have been a member at Blue Canyon for four years now and am surprised by some comments received here. Whilst I agree the course is not in perfect condition, the bunkers are bad due to continual rain every night and should drain better but that is difficult, I am a member also at La Quinta in Marbella and ours are bad as well there. In winter the bunkers improve but need considerable money to be spent and at the moment the economy does not allow it. The club house is 20 years old and with the exception of low water pressure in the showers is very nice and kept clean.

The rough issue has been solved and as far as welcoming, the Thai people are always very welcoming and I am greeted every day with a smile and great service.

The course design is one of the best I have played, yes it is tough so if you want a course n play off 36 handicap this is not the place for you,sorry. But if you want a fantastic challenge, perfect scenery, beautiful caddies it is here. Expect fast greens some high rough n yes bad bunkers in summer but it is worth it ? Absolutely it is.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank nickotter
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Very poorly maintained”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been visiting the club over many years and it is embarrassing to see the current state of the courses and the club house. The management team doesn't seem to want to spend enough money to maintain (at least) or improve the courses. There club house is dated as well. This club used to be the signature golf course in Phuket among gofers - not any more. Red Mountain is the best one in Phuket now. I have played Alpine, Ayodhya Links in Bangkok, Banyan, Black Mountain in Hua Hin, Red Mountain and Blue Canion here in Phuket this time. So far, Blue Canion is by far the worst condition.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Abby124
Okinawa, Japan
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worth the money and the time!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We played the "lakes" course and I loved it! I'm a 25 hdcp and found it to be a nice challange for my game (Any course is a challange actually!!).

I thought the course was in good condition and the greens lovely. The rough was a little rough.

Caddies were brilliant and fun and adapted to my game quickly (experienced).

The club house had good food and a decent selection of beer/food. The staff were attentive and pleasant!
The locker rooms were clean and well equipped with Sauna and Baths with very good showers.

This course was the highlight of my trip to Phuket!!

Visited July 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Beautiful course - little pricy”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We played 9 holes (front 9) in July and really enjoyed the scenery and beautiful surroundings. The course has a nice layout and we enjoyed playing it, but found it overpriced especially compared to other courses in Thailand.

Visited July 2013