“Racha & Coral Island Day Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
$74.39*
and up
Raya Island and Coral Island by Speedboat from Phuket Including Thai Buffet...
Ranked #67 of 240 things to do in Phuket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Coral Island's Banana Beach and Long Beach provide everything that can be desired on a day excursion to a pristine tropical island with stunning beach scenery, virgin rain forest backdrop, good reef snorkeling (Banana Beach only) and full menu of active and passive water sports. Banana Beach is more quiet and laid back, actually the beach lounges are under natural shade, modern clean amenities and of 5 star standard of restaurant and service. The design of all buildings is amazingWe even barge in fresh water for our guest's to wash the salt off before heading back to the resort.Nice touch for the ladies! Long Beach is a 800 meter long white sand Beach with several of the biggest watersports companies in Thailand which cater for all looking for an active day swimming, basic snorkeling, SASUBA Hookah Diving,Try Scuba Diving, Sea Walker, Parasailing (old beach take-of style), Banana Boat rides. All water sports are available at Banana Beach as well as coral viewing clear kayaks, however the active sports are operated far away from the beach thereby maintaining the tropical beach relaxed ambience. Summary: Banana Beach: The day trip is slightly higher in price, 5 star in service, quality of activities, 5 star restaurant, 5 star amenities, 5 star speedboats, 4 star coral reef and water conditions. from 2,300 baht each.( Banana Beach Coral Island is nominated for "Best water sports day-trip" and "Best speed boat day trip" in Phuket in Thailand Tourism Awards" Long Beach : Budget price day trip, fun for the action seekers, a little busy for those looking for a quiet beach. Water sports is of same price as Banana Beach however you may to queue for turns and the standard is rated 3 star.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Albury, Australia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Racha & Coral Island Day Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We did a day trip to Racha & Coral Island - the weather had been a bit 'iffy' the day before but we got a beautiful day with calm seas!
We went with Nikorn Marine - very well run Tour Operators. The staff were very thorough with the guidelines & the safety to all passengers.
It was a fast trip over to Coral Island only taking probably 20 minutes from the Chalong Pier. We had ample time for water sports, snorkelling & exploring the island. Lunch was to be in the Hey Restaurant but we never ate there it was in an open air shelter - and the food was lacking variety and was just ok! We didn't go to eat so that's excusable. After lunch most of us enjoyed laying in the free sun lounges and either had a siesta or watch the water sports activities.
We then headed to Racha Island another short trip - we had unlimited cold drinks & fruit on board.Wow what a stunning place Racha Island is especially for snorkelling. The waters were clearer than Coral Island, (as there wasn't any water sports stirring up the water) & the coral & fish life were boundless. You could put your hand out to touch them - only the little buggers are so alert & quick!!
We arrived back to Chalong Pier around 5pm.

Visited August 2012

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Coral and Raya Island Tour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Tour guide George was great, a real character.

Location was undesirable, not only due to the jet boats pulling the parasailers creating artificial waves but due to the deceiving images on the brochure of places and coral that didn’t exist.

The lunch served, in comparison to the brochure photos, was worse than my golf score and all the coral was dead, mostly due to ignorant tourist that touch and damage the coral.

To all that aren’t aware, coral is so sensitive that when you touch it, not only does it die but the infection spreads through the entire plant slowly killing it over time (coral takes one thousand years to reach maturity). This is why the Great Barrier Reef has such harsh restrictions imposed on visitor’s snorkelling in the area.

Strict regulations need to be implemented here to have any hope of saving what’s left of this once vibrant location. This includes the operators not using the coral as an anchor. A danforth anchor is more than antiquate to anchor; it’s only five metres deep.

All in all, don’t waste your time with this tour.

Visited September 2012
5 Thank mynameisbartman
1800Phuket, Owner at Coral Island, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
This review contradict many things I and most reviewers have experienced about Coral Island and so I will reply in detail for readers to judge.
Yes there is plenty of parasailing action by speed boats ,not jet boats at a 100 meter section of the 1 kilometer long beach, Long Beach. The wash from these 20 foot boats simply cannot be over about 50 -70 cm at most. These boats operate only in one designated landing area of the beach. The boats physically cannot enter the swimming, snorkeling, diving or sea walker zones. There are also two totally quiet areas approx 300 meters each at both ends of this fantastic beach as well as two separate non-motorized zones in the middle section of the beach. Out of more than a kilometer of pristine sand beach, motorized craft have no more than 100 meters of access before heading far out creating a colorful fun scene without noise or wave action near swimmers or those lazing on the beach.
The deceiving images and coral referred to perhaps are from Banana beach or the western side of the island and for any reader, I am happy to supply current photos to disprove the reviewer’s statement.
I will admit that there are many places in the world with better coral however none, yes none of these are as accessible as easily and as affordable. I come from and have sailed extensively the Great Barrier Reef area of Australia so I know coral reasonably well.
I also was the owner/operator of the largest water sports operation in Australia starting in 1984 through to year 2000 when I moved to Phuket. I can assure all that the marine life is magnificent, colorful and varied although soft corals are scarce as are at Racha and Phi Phi Island now.
Next point which all may find interesting is about the coral close to the beach. Often the number and behavior of visitors is blamed for the poor condition of the close in coral. The fact is that heavy rains during monsoon season wash down the rain forest hills and deposit sediment onto the coral in the shallow water. The fresh water also damages the sensitive corals. One can see this all over the world whereby the closest coral to the beaches is always in poor condition if hills prevail close by the beaches. The coral viewing in Australia is miles from the islands and a totally different situation.
Yes some damage has been done by visitors however this is exasperated by the massive Asia-Pacific wide natural bleaching caused by the La Nina weather pattern in 2010/2011. This was also when the region had massive jellyfish infestations. Fortunately, water temperatures are back to normal and the waters are clear again.
More correction for the review is that the predominant hard corals are not harmed or “infected” at all by human touch although we constantly advise to not touch anything at all, just look and take only photos.
The coral grows slowly however we could cut the "1000 years to maturity" down to a few years as advised by the scientists at the marine observatory in Phuket. This is of course if another natural weather phenomenon does no further damage. In saying this, we do offer excursions to the much better coral at Banana Beach however this trip is a little more expensive than the rock bottom, cheapest trip the reviewer probably bargained for at a street vendor.
Regarding anchoring, the sand here is so soft, a Danforth anchor is certainly not the equipment required. The locals have been using home- made admiralty anchors and do not drop these on the coral at all as where the boats anchor or usually tie up, they have government provided safety lines, there is only a sand bottom there anyway.
I cannot comment on the food as there are four restaurants and I represent 3 of them. We cater for high end corporate events as well as happy day trippers. I confess to the rare negative comment, over the last 12 years. Our restaurants need to cater for tastes from just about every country in the world and I believe a fantastic job is done particularly for the package day tours.
By the way, for less than $20 one can skip the “included tour lunch” and order fresh seafood, BBQ seafood, salads, tropical fruits and delicious Thai cuisine.
For the reviewer’s final comment “All in all, don’t waste your time with this tour.” My company offers advice on 6 different tour options of price, operator and specific destinations on Coral Island.
I invite the reviewer to provide the details of actually which tour he has written about, where he purchased “ this tour”, how much did he pay and where did he get his advice.
It certainly was not one of my recommended tours. I guarantee a beautiful destination, plenty of marine life, pristine beaches, good food and friendly service and lots to do including complete relaxation.
If any of my guests ever feels like this reviewer, please contact me on the day and I will fix the problem plus gladly refund all money as well.
That’s a promise.
England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Banana Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Long beach was dirty and no coral, though Banana beach with the Coral Isalnd club was sensational, beatifully clean great coral reef a few metres off the beach and great food. Well done Steve

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Adrian123
Greeneville, Tennessee
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Fantastic Way to Spend Half or Whole Day - Even for the Sunburnt, Check Low Tide Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We got a late start to the day and found a Coral Island review on TA that said it could easily be seen in half a day. I wanted to snorkel and swim, yet my hubby had to have options to stay OUT of sun due to sunburn from previous day. This met both our needs.

At about 11 a.m. we took a taxi from Karon Beach to Rawai to catch a long boat. Apparently, our taxi driver already knew a long boat driver there. It was $1000 bht taxi roundtrip to Karon-Rawai, then $1800 longboat roundtrip from Rawai to Coral Island. We could spend as long as we wanted on Rawai while long boat driver waited -- (But BEWARE: After 3:30 p.m. the longboat can not take you all the way into Rawai main road because of lowtide! We had to walk through slimey mud with our beach bags about 1/2 km to main road!)

Anyway, the longboat ride was relaxing and about 30-45 minutes to the island. Coral Island was delightful and surprisingly not crowded. We picked out two umbrella chairs for $100 bht/person and the closest people to us were eight chairs away. This particular beach had several longboats pulled up and two large speedboats. It looked like other beaches had more people, so we were lucky in getting this one, I guess. Maybe this is something you can ask your longboat driver.

I jumped in the water to snorkel ($100 bht/person to rent equipment -snorkel and mask, no fins - from longboat driver) and saw some of the best snorkeling of the whole week in Phuket. I swam past the ropes and saw tons of fish, uncorrupted coral, clams, etc. Apparently, people feed the fish because I had schools of them following me around. If I stopped swimming, they literally got in my face to the point that I was swatted them away like flies!

Again, a warning about being out past lowtide.... After 3 p.m. I had a hard time swimming back in to avoid spiny sea urchins. But going out/in around noon was no problem at all. Check local listings for low tide/high tide for your holiday before snorkeling at Coral Island.

My husband sat in the shade to read and drank cheap drinks from the restaurants. Had cold coconuts for sale and plenty of beer. We ate lunch on the island and it was average at best. But it was available and not too overpriced considering there weren't any other lunch options!

Bathrooms were fairly clean (and I'm picky!). I brought my own toilet paper but I think they had some available.

If we stay in the area again, we'll definitely visit Coral Island again if only for the snorkeling. Great place if one person wants to snorkel and the other wants to sit and relax.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Cynthia R
England
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“The highlight of our trip! A must do - looks like a postcard & amazing food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We hired a longtail boat from Rawai beach and headed to Coral Island for the day. This was one of the highlights of our trip and the beached looked just like a postcard of Thailand would. The ride was relatively smooth and it was great fun having a boat and driver to ourselves for the day. He slept under a parasol on the boat and we arranged a time for him to take us back to Phuket.

Once at Coral island it was great, we went to the banana beach and did lots of snorkelling in the water, there were lots of tropical fish including the rainbow parrot fish and a giant electric blue starfish. We had lunch from the restaurant of the resort and they served it to us on the beach, it felt like we were in paradise and we didn’t want to leave! We took lots of fabulous photos, and they hire out lockers so you do not have to worry about your belongings.

Quite a few people were there on day trips, but as the day went on it calmed down a lot and was very tranquil. We would consider staying at the resort a few nights as it felt very local with no sign of the over-tourism like at Patong beach.

It was easy enough to haggle for a boat for the day – just don’t take the first few prices offered!

Visited November 2011