Open today: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Phuket Aquarium
All reviews nature trail worth a visit sea life turtle hatchery gift shop injured turtles lovely fish cape panwa nice place to visit entrance fee on display underwater world species exhibits tunnel admission baht
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

The aquarium is pretty small and not very versatile.
A new one is supposed to be opening this year at Phuket, hopefully it will be a better one.
If you've never been to an aquarium or you have small children with you then it is recommended for you and you will probably enjoy it.
For me it was average at bwst since we have a very beautiful aquarium in my hometown so I kept comparing the two, and the one in Phuket felt lacking...

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Felt bad for fishes as the tanks looked stained with algae. All aquariums had similar lightening irrespective of different fishes and their habitat. Some fishes were too shy to come out and were scared when people passed by, esp. puffer fish was puffed in a corner throughout my glance of 3-5mins. Grouper fish looked healthy and was the only attraction of the day.

Don't try the gift stall for overpriced souvenirs.

Maybe the reasons less people visited there. It's better u let those fishes hit the ocean than see them suffer. One can easily say..fishes are not happy there

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I took my 5-year old daughter here during the low season (October) and we had a good time.

It is located at the very southern tip of the island, so takes a bit of effort to get there. We got a taxi to wait for us, which I think was probably a good idea, as I wouldn't fancy your chances hailing one at closing time (4.30pm) and then you'd be stuck!

There is a new cinema room with a 180 degree (ish) screen showing two films - the first about sea turtle preservation and the second about the wonders of the ocean. It was well-air conditioned and fairly diverting.

Beside the cinema, the main aquarium is quite tired, however you still get the feeling that it is run with heart. Considering how long it has been since its last update (if ever?!) they manage to keep visitors engaged with a fairly wide variety of exhibits including seahorses, eels, small sharks, massive garoupas and a small room of animals from the very depths of the ocean - several of which are yet to be identified, which is quite cool.

We followed the signs to the turtle hatchery. It was closed but we discovered a very small shaded beach with almost no-one there. Our daughter had a swing on the tire that was hung there and we had a few moments of feeling quite near the end of the island. Very nice.

If you can be bothered to schlep there, it's a diverting way to spend around 90-120 minutes. But I recommend getting a car to wait for you!!

Reviewed October 9, 2018

Located at the far end of Panwa Cape, the Phuket Aquarium is right at the far end corner and take up the hill there. Good variety of Thai sea lives on display with a little souvenir shop and cafe at the end. I would have given 5/5 if the aquarium is a bit larger with more choice of sea lives in the habitable display.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Just to let you know as in some reviews, photos and comments, there is now no baby turtle nursery or turtle sanctuary. It has been moved to an outer island, unfortunately I am unsure where and have been unable to find out much more information about this as I particularly wanted to see the baby turtles in the nursery as advertised, so I did not end up going to the aquarium.

2  Thank JanH5284
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

Not very big
And not bad to spend some times here if u are near to the place
Many types of fish and sea creatures

1  Thank Azizalkhoori
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

I have been to plenty of aquaria and by now would be familiar with the setup. Without the turtle conservation area which is closed for renovation now, I would compare Phuket Aquarium with Langkawi Aquarium in terms of size. However Langkawi Aquarium has a section on exotic species like plant-looking fish which I now couldn't recall the name and some pretty tiny shrimps.

Phuket Aquarium has a sea tunnel but it is so short I wouldn't really call it a tunnel. There is also a cinema room where a video on conservation is played at set times.

However maintenance should be emphasised. There was an injured fish while I was there in the deep sea section and dead fish in one of the round standalone aquaria. The deep sea section water was also slightly murky.

The saving grace here is the cheap tickets. 180 bahts for foreign adults and 100 for kids, it is much cheaper than your drinks in Bangla Road. If you think the exhibits are not up to your marks, you can always leave without regret.

Regardless kids always love to see and touch marine life and Phuket Aquarium managed to entertain my children. For that I think 3 stars should justify.

2  Thank AFAK25
Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

The ticket price here is not bad and it has a very pleasant collection of fish and sea life. The information placards are in English and Thai which is useful.
The giant grouper and the sea horses are particularly good exhibits.
There is a large emphasis on conservation of the coral reefs and on the dangers of plastic in the sea which is fantastic and informative, However it is then undermined by a gift shop full of plastic wrappings and a nature trail walk along a beach covered in litter. It was a sad sight to see.
The hatching area is not very visitor friendly and the turtle area was closed for rebuilding when we went recently.
A nice aquarium but a slightly anti-climatic experience

1  Thank lyds939
Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

As this was in walking distance of our hotel we thought we would do a morning visit. It was ok but not as big as I thought it would be. It made a pleasant mornings trip we enjoyed it.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

This was something my partner and I chose to do on a rainy day and all I can say is it wasn’t worth the money or hour journey. We went around the main part of the aquarium that was pretty dated and run down, and then were disappointed to find out the turtle bay section was under reconstruction. The other attraction was a walk to look at some other sea creatures however the weather was so poor and there was no directions or instructions by staff where to go that after a 5 minute wander we returned to our taxi. Wouldn’t recommend going out of your way to visit this aquarium.

1  Thank Elliot J