“Nice weekend break”

Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #244 of 776 Hotels in Phuket
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at pier 42 in jan, we live in Samui, so we went to Phuket for the weekend.
Pier42 welcomed. With smiling staff and willing to help us with questions. The rooms are very nice and clean, spaceous. Swimming pool is small but we went for scuba diving. They have a dive school attached to the hotel and it's only seconds away from the pier for all the boats leaving for day trips. Very highly recommended hotel definitely come back to stay.

Room Tip: Splash out a bit a go for the villa suite there is only one so need to book early.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gavin M
There are newer reviews for Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife, 8 month old son, and I stayed here for 6 nights in February.

The good:
The hotel staff were very helpful with all of our questions and needs. They were able to set the room up with a pack and play style crib with a mosquito net, so they get an A+ for being family friendly. The staff often held the baby for us so my wife and I could share a meal. The food was really outstandingly prepared and presented. We used the spa one time and it was a very pleasant experience; much more peaceful than getting a massage in a sweaty bazaar somewhere. The decor of the hotel and the pool is all very calming and peaceful. We came to Phuket to get away from the cold of winter in Korea and being overworked, Pier 42 was a perfect retreat.

Room for improvement:
The hotel is new and so these things may be fixed in the future, but I have to be honest for other travellers. If you are into diving in the day and drinking at night, then this is definately a perfect location, there are dive bars all in this area. Relative to the big beach areas like patong, the noise of music, cars, partygoers and such in the area is tame, but for light sleepers, you may want to make sure your room is insulated from the noise. My wife had trouble with it on several nights, but she is a country person and a very light sleeper. My baby and I slept like logs.

I think the hotel would benefit from having a pay shuttle service instead of having guests call on taxis, I had numerous bad experiences with taxi drivers in Phuket and the nicer hotels and tour services have shuttle service. Airport pickup and dropoff is another service that would go with that.

Some better welcome information to the area and the hotel would have been nice as well. We showed up in the middle of the night to a front desk with a clerk who basically just gave us the key and pointed us to our room. We got ourselves sorted out in the morning, but I'm used to the person at the desk giving me a bit of a spiel on the services of the hotel and maybe in the room a little welcome book with a local area guide and a map, maybe a pen and some stationary... I attributed this to the newness of the place.

Roundup:
You probably cant find a better hotel at this price on Phuket. Approved for family travel, ideal for folks doing activities based from Chalong.

Room Tip: Room in the back second floor was noisey.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rubixhelix
Pier42, Owner at Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

We are glad you enjoyed your stay ay Pier 42 and we are working on more information for our rooms + plans are in the offing to offer guests a transfer service on site, with shuttles to local beaches and airport collection and drop off.
We hope to welcome you and your family back again some time soon.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

When you enter Pier 42, almost everytime you can see at the reseption Mom of the hotel. Realy she is the director of the hotel, her name Jeab, but she is Mom for her stuff and for the guests, because she is conserned about us everytime. About location. It's very, very good, because as you see from the name of the hotel it situated in 50 meters from pier 42, from where you can travel to Phi-Phi island and everywhere, and you don't need wake up at 5 in the morning( as do everybody, who lives in Patong, Karon or Nai-Hurn), you can do it at 7a.m., eat your breakfast and at 7.45 enter the boat. It's very comfortable, isn't it? What else? In the hotel are two boutiques, where i bought oils for massage, necklaces for my sisters, silk scarf and soaps for my mather. The menu of the restaurant of the hotel have every thai dish with the price about 100 baht for a dish( 3 USD) and everythig is delicious. I tell a little sicret- the family of Mom run a restaurant of thai cuisine in Bangkok. If it's not enought, in 30 meters situated one of the best restaurants of Phuket( with the view of sea and live jazz ). In 30 meters from the hotel is a parking lot of all type of a taxi ( it's difficult to catch a taxi in the streets in Phuket!!), and in about 10 minutes you can be in every beach of Phuket. I have not told you about service, of course it was good( Mom take care!!). The room was very good for 3 star hotel, but i didn't understand only one thing, why there wasn't a wardrobe in my room, but this unique disadvantage did not spoil anything. And there was SPA with thai massage. I visited it almost every day. After my breakfast i liked to swim in the pool or just relax near it. I tell you, i had a very good time, I LIVED LIKE WITH THE FAMILY and I COME BACK!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Victor Z
Reviewed January 17, 2012

A perfect balance of everything, service, relax, food, spa.

Room Tip: Villa's are good when travelling with childrens
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Claudio C
Reviewed January 14, 2012

For the money, you cannot beat this place. It is off the beaten path but near everything you need. No car necessary. You can walk to various seafood establishments, bakeries, supermarkets, dive shops, laundry, bars, etc. Everything is here. Far from bustling Patong and Phuket Town, this area has girly bars but not in your face. You can walk to Chalong Pier which is just a few hundred yards away. The boats to the other islands leave from here and you will see divers from all over the world embarking and disembarking daily. Tour boats leave here with thousands of passengers every day. I loved the location for that reason. I did not want to rent a car on this trip and wanted to enjoy the local flavor of Chalong. Pier 42 is a small, eco friendly, all nonsmoking boutique hotel thoughtfully crafted from recycled woods and materials. They have only 24 guest suites and all are nicely equipped. They cater to divers and the accomodations are first rate for the non resort prices that you will pay. The rooms are large with wooden floors, spotless, have lots of windows, privacy curtains, remote controlled a/c, flat screen TV with great movie channels, complimentary WiFi, large garden style bathroom with lots of nice towels and spa products. The furnishings are simple but adequate. A nice desk with a great reading lamp, bean bag chairs, decorative pillows, electrical adapter, stocked mini fridge with reasonably priced products. Even complimentary bottled water daily. My King Size bed was a little on the hard side but I was OK with it. Not a big deal. I slept fine. Egyptian Cotton Sheets and duvet comforter made for great sleeping after a long day in the sun. I was impressed with the "do not disturb" or "maid service" ritual. They had two darling wooden statues that you used to indicate the service that you required. One was a monkey that covered his mouth for "do not disturb". The other was a kitty cat waving "hello" for service. Brilliant touch. They thought of everything. There is a lovely black tile pool which is small but great for sunning, wading and cooling off.There is a modern waterfall, lush gardens and lovely tables with parasol umbrellas if you wish to sit and have a cocktail, cup of coffee or have room service from their dynamite cafe'. A spacious library is equipped with an internet station, printer, books, tables and brochures for your pleasure. They thought of everything. The open air checkin area/lobby is lovely and personal. I loved the design. The housekeeping staff did a slam dunk job of keeping the rooms tidy and well supplied at all times. I stayed on the 2nd floor and loved it. Very nice. Viset Road could get a little raucous at night but I knew that would be the case. Mostly music playing loudly. Some nights were quieter than others. The in house Cafe' was exceptional and their prices were low compared to western standards. If you get the inclusive rate which includes a breakfast buffet on their 2nd floor veranda, it is generous and adequate. Nothing fancy but better than some other places of this size. The a la carte menu was great and you could order breakfast, snacks, smoothies, western style sandwiches, Thai specialties, drinks/beer, coffees during their hours of 0700-2200. They made the most luscious Eggs Benedict with a perfectly poached egg in the $3 USD range. I had it and it was better than any that I have had in the USA. The young, inventive Thai Chef makes a range of specialties and has a 5 course pre-fixe Thai Menu w/dessert every single night for $15 USD. A bargain in my book. You can order ANYTHING form the menu for room service. If you are looking for a lavish 5 star resort with butler service, this is not the place for you. I have stayed in those resorts and chose to stay (this time) in what I deemed to be a more personal, bed and breakfast style environment that was safe, secure, comfortable, immaculate, and spacious. Pier 42 fit the bill for me. They do have a full service, in house SPA that has extremely reasonable rates compared to the large resorts. I would recommend it to anyone that is laid back, non demanding and cherishes spotless surroundings. This management has done a superb job. I would not change a thing. (I noted that the "hot box" for the shower water was not as hot as I am used to. Hot water heaters are not common in Thailand. I rolled with it and was fine!) I will definitely be back.......loved it! P.S. 24 hour "7-11" across the street for beer and essentials.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor. That way, you won't hear anyone above you. No elevator...just a few st...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank parisflygirl
Reviewed January 12, 2012

used as a staging post for longer stay in Racha island - extremely convienient for that purpose. A great hotel in it's own right though - tasteful - very friendly and accomodating staff. Luxury.

Room Tip: all rooms good
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank LondonJonnyb
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Booked at Pier 42 for five nights in January 2012. Our stay was nice as we were looking to stay away from the super touristy areas of Patong. I wanted my family to experience a more local flavor... something outside of the 5-star big hotel, big price, huge pool, beachfront resorts. We booked two rooms for about $60 each which was about 10x less then what the rooms in the 5-star places wanted.

The rooms were nice, clean, etc... Bed was hard, but it just takes a bit getting used to.

The hotel location is in Chalong, which is about a 15 minute scooter/tuk-tuk/taxi ride away from the main touristy areas. Pier 42 is right next to the pier where many people take boat rides to the nearby islands. The road that it's on is filled with "bar & massage" joints that can look a bit seedy. Never felt unsafe, but it's not Kansas.

This hotel is NOT near a beach ... you need to take a cab/tuk-tuk/scooter to the nice beaches of Kata/Karon. We took all 3 modes of transportation ... cab rides cost 500 Baht, Tuk-Tuk cost 400 Baht and the best is renting a scooter (200 Baht a day!). Note, scooters are cheap and fun, but it's freakin crazy getting used to the traffic. Tuk-Tuks and Taxi's are available at stands at either end of the road and the bar next door (and many other bars on the street) rent scooters. But cost wise, unless you have a real need to have immediate access to a beach, the economics of this place make a lot of sense... and you get a better feel for the culture.

We used the spa a number of times for massages and foot massages. They were really good and relaxing. The prices are higher then what you can pay, but the quality and serenity were worth it. It felt like a real spa experience vs. a massage on a table on a beach. "Tick", the spa manager was great. You pay about 900 Baht/hour, probably 2x the cheaper places, but the location and product is well worth it.

Pool was small but very refreshing after being out all day. It is a salt water pool. Kids enjoyed it.

We did laundry a few doors up the street ... cheaper then at the hotel... it cost like 40 Baht per Kg ... so very cheap. Pack light and do laundry ... it comes back clean and folded nicely.

The restaurant at the hotel was actually really good. It served both western and Thai food and the quality was good. The breakfast included was OK ... eggs, toast, croissants, bacon, cereal, juice, milk, coffee, etc...

A few doors down towards the water is a great restaurant called Kang Nang... it literally feels like you are walking through into Wonderland ... you go from a bit of a grimy street to an oceanside oasis with great Thai food. A few blocks the other way, we went to Sabai-Sabai cooking school and did a Thai cooking class... it was the best time and the best food - it was so authentic, personable and fun ... small, intimate and just fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Peter-YVR
Pier42, Owner at Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2012

Peter, Thanks for the generous and helpful review,
I am pleased you appreciated what we are trying to achieve at Spa 42 with our 100% natural products philosophy.
We will be including in the resort rooms some information on the beaches in the area and how to get there + placing some bicycles in the resort so that guests have another free of charge transport option.

Housekeeping do have some mattress toppers on request to soften the beds for those that find them a little firm :)

Hope to welcome at Pier 42 again soon