“Fantastic experience”

The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 886 Specialty Lodging in Phuket
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in a beachfront 3 bedroom pool villa, and have to say it's totally worth the money. We booked directly with the hotel and we are glad we did. Everything was taken care of in detail from check-in to check-out. Coming to the hotel by boat is a really nice feeling.
We mostly chilled in the villa or by the beach, but I would also recommend to take one of their trips through Phang Nga Bay. Amazing!!!
We came as a couple with 1 other friend, but would want to come back with the family because these villas are perfect for it.
The resort is still building some more units, although you can't even hear or see anything of the work going on. Once this place is completely finished it will be even better than it already is.

Hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, beachfront villa!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Mark A, General Manager at The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear AntoniePolfliet,

Thank You so much for your lovely review of The Village.
We are all thrilled that you enjoyed it so much.
The three bedroom villas are spectacular, I have said before that it is not often one gets to stay in such a wonderful location, without spending big money!!
We were also pleased that you enjoyed the water taxi journey, it is very unique and fun.

We all look forward to seeing you and your family in the future.

Tropical regards

There are newer reviews for The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed in a pool an ocean view one bed villa (was upgraded) and was very pleased with the size of the pool and the fantastic ocean views and the peace and quiet.

That being said i would not pay list price for the pool sea view villa at around the £200 mark there are other high end contenders, although the private pool is pretty special.

The resorts first major problem is that the air con units are not that powerful for the room size. When i checked in the two large patio doors had the curtains tied off at the side meaning the sun had been cooking the room ever since the last guest left. It took 6 hours of having the air con on to drop the temp from 35 to 24 degrees, i spoke with other guests who experienced the same thing. This alone would not put me of coming again as its fine once the the temp is dropped.

What would prevent me from visiting again (unless alone) is that the large bathroom in my villa had no door between it and the bedroom. This is just unacceptable. No one wants to hear their partner on the toilet whilst there in bed!

Other minor things lacking were, no binder listing all services and information therefore no idea what the number is for front desk or room service (no number listed on the menu) or checkout time or breakfast etc.

Staff in the restaurants i would say on a par with the rest of thailand, inexperienced and unsure of themselves, lacking training and good English.

Room Tip: sea view villa at a minimum
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear John_11Dusseldorf,

Thank You for taking the time to review The Village.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your one bedroom pool villa with sea view. The views and pools (and views from pools) are very special. Your point about the pricing has been noted, however we actually feel that for equal products with lessor views, pools etc can cost a lot more.

I have also noted your important comment regarding the temperature of the rooms when one checks in. I agree that ideally we would have the air con running and room nicely chilled before you arrive. Unfortunately we are still running the whole resort on generators (as I am sure you are aware), this means we have to be very careful regarding the electric usage and mindful of the impact on the environment and our machinery. For this reason, we try and minimise the power usage where we can. Often we do not know if a guest is checking in at 10am or 11pm. Bookings can be made through many channels where flight details are not requested. Therefore, it would be wasteful for us to be cooling that villa (not just a room) for 12 hours hoping that you would be arriving soon, only to find that you do not.
Therefore, we have made the decision to hold off the air conditioning until arrival. We are however instigating a system that will notify the room attendants that you have arrived at laem Hin. This will help the situation, but not remove the problem completely.

We are sorry that you did not appreciate the layout of the bedrooms/ bathroom in the master suite. We are often complimented on the design, but appreciate that it does not suit everyone.

Thanks once again.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at The Village Coconut Island last week – in February 2013. Overall, we loved this hotel and will return if/when we go to Phuket again. Villas are fantastic, spa and food are top quality, service required some expectation adjustment.

Transfers – we asked the hotel to handle transfer from the airport for us. They gave us clear direction and we found a taxi. It was a regular Phuket taxi driver and cost about 20% more than if we’d just found a legitimate taxi ourselves.

Checkin – we arrived on a windy night during low tide so the boat ride from the Pier was rocky and wet. I would have liked a nicer welcome at the Pier and perhaps a bottle of water and towel but I understand why this is not done. Sometimes a very large group arrives at once and it would be difficult to differentiate new checkins from returning guests. The boats are charming and pleasant on a sunny day but dark and a bit scary in the windy darkness when you don’t know where you are or where you are going.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted nicely, upgraded to a Villa and taken to our room quickly. The staff was wonderful.

Room – We had a Sea View Villa which was fantastic. It was 2 floors, big, clean, private and the private pool was much more than I expected. The Sea Front villas are supposed to be the ultimate but I do like my privacy. Coffee (Nestle instant) and water are supplied in the room and ours was replenished daily. Oh and the beds are comfortable! In our experience, beds at this price range are usually basic and too firm.

Activities -- nothing going on at night except live music 3 nights per week, which was lovely. There was mention of a movie night for kids but I never figured out where, when or how (I didn't try very hard). If you want goofy shows and party night-life, stay elsewhere.

Food – there are two restaurants – a sea front Thai restaurant and the more casual Deli which still offers nice seating and a full bar. Both are largely outdoor. There is a third space upstairs that keeps the tour groups from mobbing the restaurants. All the food was fresh and delicious. My kids enjoyed the pizza which was also fresh made from dough, not frozen or “broiled”. Cost was reasonable though higher than in-town or across at the pier, of course.

Service in the bars challenged my Western sensibilities a bit. It was slow at times, which was only an issue when we were on a schedule catching a certain boat. You must say “Excuse Me” in the bar even if you are sitting or standing in what feels like an obviously-in-need position. This is just the Thai way and it takes a bit of getting used to.

The breakfast buffet is good quality and very clean. Even at peak times, the staff handle it well and it seemed no one had to wait for a table. Get up early for a smaller crowd.
My kids enjoyed room service twice and all was very hot, fresh and timely.

Coco Mart -- the market at the hotel is VERY handy. Things are certainly more expensive than in town, but seemed reasonable given the cost of transfer to and storage on the Island. Wine was very expensive though I found this to be true all over Phuket. Apparently, the Thai govt charges a huge duty on foreign wines and local wines are difficult to get. I would recommend you go into town early on and stock up a bit if you plan to eat in your room. You can then use the Cocomart to top up.

Spa – I enjoyed 4 massages while I was there – two Thai massages and two relaxing “back and neck” massages. I recommend Jib for a Thai massage and Hon if you have really tight muscles. Hon knows her stuff! Massages are more expensive than in Phuket Town (1000-1500 BHT more) but if you throw in taxi cost and the time it takes to get there and back, the difference was well worth it to me. The spa is a very relaxing area, well away from the crowds. My one big disappointment in the spa is I wasn’t told I could use the Spa relaxation/therapy pool while I was there so I missed out – FOUR times.

Pool – the upper pool is more relaxing and great if you have kids because you can kind of see them at the top of the water slide while you relax in or near the pool. My one small complaint here is there is NO shade at the pools. This may be a positive to many visitors but we were getting red so had to get out at certain times of day. Happily, our private pool was well shaded by mid-day. The water slides are GREAT.

Trips – we took the boat the Rang Yai Island, which I highly recommend. It costs very little and it’s a great place to swim in the ocean and enjoy some quiet. We rode bikes around the island, sawm in the ocean and had lunch on the beach. All good. At 3:00 a bunch of big boats arrived so we were happy to get back.

Location – this resort is quiet and far from activity. It is a 400 BHT ($12) one-way taxi ride from Phuket Town and more to other places so if that’s more than you want to spend and you want to get around, consider staying closer in. In 8 days, we visited the Naka Market, Patong, Phang Nga Bay and Naka Beach and were fulfilled.

Overall – a fantastic place to stay. The tour groups come and go and some of the tour leaders are a bit aggressive but they mostly ignored us and we, them. We ignored all the other guests really!! There are power outages but they didn’t trouble us at all. The pools work, the beer stays cold and my Kindle has its own light so we were never bothered by the loss of power at all. It kind of added to the charm of the place.

Room Tip: Get a Villa, any Villa. Seafront are fab but they offer less privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank artcaro

Daer artcaro,

I would like to Thank You for your conclusive and wonderful review of our resort.
It is great to read someones account of their holiday and see that they really took advantage of and enjoyed all the key and unique attributes that we offer.

I am thrilled that you managed to throughly enjoy so many of the positive aspects of The Village and were happy to tolerate the few inconveniences.

I have noted your comments regarding the wind and waves on the water taxi, we try to operate a system where by if it is particularly windy at any time, we divert the boats to the community pier and finish the journey in one of our buggies or tuk tuks. It would seem that the call was not made on your trip. For that we apologise.

Rather that thank you for each of your positive comments, I will say one big thank you for all of them and take note of the areas that were frustrating.

Thanks once again and hopefully we will be able to host you at The Village again in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We spent 3 nights here in january 2012 and it was not enjoyable. Unfortunately, they gave us a terrible room (the beach front villas looked divine) where power and air conditioning was intermittent, the beach was disappointing as it was muddy underfoot, not sandy, the food excessively expensive and the location terribly far from the mainland. The pools were lovely, as were the water slides but, if you want to be able to explore Phuket, steer clear. It was so expensive and time consuming getting to the mainland every day. We had booked for 7 nights but left after 3.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzy B

Dear Suzy B,
Thank you for submitting your review of The Village. Albeit 13 months after your actual visit.
Reading you review, it seems very apparent that this resort was simply not the right place for you.

It would seem that you enjoyed the resort and the pools, but did not appreciate that we were on an island and it would take longer than normal (by normal I mean in the middle of a hot, dusty busy resort town), to travel. As we have noted many times, to stay on a undisturbed tropical island has to have some balance points, ours is that it does take 5-10 minutes to get the the mainland on one of our regular (every 30 minutes) water taxis.

We are very sorry that you left after 3 nights, but hope that you found what you were looking for.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Can't really say how much we enjoyed this stay. We spent an amazing 10 days here, and it wasn't long enough. The location is out of this world, from the beach we could see right through to the 'James Bond Island' area, which provided a breathtaking backdrop to everything. The food here is very good, we haven't had good steak in Thailand since we arrived a year ago, but here we did, both in the Deli restaurant and on the beach barbeque they have most nights. The bar staff are really friendly and the 2 Filipino girls who sing for the barbeque were excellent and really interactive, it was lots of fun. We loved having an open plan bathroom/bedroom, it was so different, and felt very luxurious. The Villa's are really well equipped with kitchen facilities, so if you are with family and fancy a night in you can - either by getting a takeaway from the restaurant, or buying some food from the onsite shop, and then chiiling out on the comfy sofas, watching some TV! We enjoyed the novelty factor of this place - having to get a long tail taxi (included in the stay) to the resort, having our own pool (or Jacuzzi) as well as the hotels pool area etc. There were a few chinese tour groups and a conference while we were there, but they kept them seperate for breakfast (there seemed to be another eating area up by reception where they all went) so the breakfast restaurant wasn't overun, and they didn't seem to really make much impact in terms of feeling like there were lots of people there. The staff are very attentive and check everything is OK which we liked. We loved spending some time round our own private pool then heading over to the main pool after lunch and getting a cocktail at the beach bar before going back to our own villa to get ready for the evening. The resort has a daily trip to Rang Yai Island, which is just opposite, where there is pristine water to swim in. They also helped arrange a day trip for us on a longtail which took us over to Phang Nga bay and ended up on another white water island, which was amazing. We came back very relaxed and would go back again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Khappell

Dear Khappell,

Thank You so much for your wonderful review of The Village on Coconut island.
We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. It really seems that you made the most of your stay and it was just right for you.

I am particularly pleased that you found the staff to be attentive, friendly and fun. That is very important to us. Often people get frustrated with Thai staff and vent their frustrations, this is always a little unfair when they are visiting their country and expecting to talk english in 20 different variations (european, russian, australian, Indian....). The staff do their best, so it's great when they are appreciated.

I am also pleased that you found the right balance between the privacy of your private pool villa and using the resort facilities.

Thanks once agin for your review, we are thrilled that we helped to ensure that your special holiday was everything that you hoped for.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We spent 11 nights at the Village, in a beach front villa with our own infinity pool. Woke up to the sunrise in our bedroom everyday, and skinny dipped at night in our private pool. It was like being on a paradise island. So luxurious. Kanda and the Spa staff were great, and the treatments the best we have had in Thailand. All the staff were so friendly, and helpful, arranging tours for us etc. We really enjoyed being able to use the sailing boats and catamaran - it was a first to do some sailing, so another memorable experience, and they give you a lesson first so its really safe. We liked the way the managerial staff were so visual, most were western, so really felt like we were getting a 5* service. Although there were quite a few people staying, the place is so well designed that we didn't really feel like there were many people there. We enjoyed using the mountain bikes and exploring the Island, seeing the local Thai village, we felt like we really saw a real bit of Thailand, rather than the tourist 'Thailand'. This place was a one off and we would recommend it 100% and go back if we got the chance.

Room Tip: Beach front villa is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Matthew C,

Thank You for reviewing The Village here on trip Advisor.

We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. You were lucky enough to stay in one of the beachfront villas, I'm sure you would agree these really are very special.

It seems that you were able to enjoy everything that The Village has to offer, it certainly seems that you had an active time, I just hope that you found time to relax as well!!

Thank you for your kind words regards the management and the staff, it really makes the effort worthwhile.

Thanks once again,

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our family has just returned from a wonderful 11 day stay at this fabulous resort in Thailand. We have traveled many times abroad including the carribean, but have never experienced such a unique resort at this. The location could not be better. Swaying palm trees against a backdrop of James Bond Islands and long tail boats. Across the bay is a beautiful island that also is well worth the visit for just £6.

The rooms in our villa were definitely 5 star with granite worktops and teak wooden floors throughout. The infinity pool was such a bonus. Wake up in the morning for a quick swim before going to the "all you can eat" breakfast which was always such a delight with Thai, western cuisine, fruit, nuts etc. etc. At the end of the day after eating at one of the excellent restaurants finish off with a skinny dip!

Enjoyed the massages and facials immensely.

This resort can only get perfect when the solar panels replace the generator!

Please visit this great place if you can...

Room Tip: Beach front villa if you can but the whole resort seems great.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sue F

Dear Sue F,

Thank your for reviewing The Village here on trip Advisor.
We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. Your descriptions of the views, backdrop and local activity sound wonderful. It's good to hear these comments from people that have really enjoyed first hand.

Thanks once again for your review, we all hope to see you again in the future.