“Resort managers needs to take complaints seriously, sort stuff out and re-open the resort after everything is fixed”

The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 886 Specialty Lodging in Phuket
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We were fortunate enough to have a pool villa, which was awesome but there were some significant and concerning problems with the resort that need to be addressed. Black outs occurred on a daily basis (some for a minute or two, others for an hour or so), friends of ours (in jacuzzi suites) often were without water or had brown water, tuk-Tuks used were dodgy and so unreliable (on one occasion we broke down at least 6 times between the pier and the reception), there was a number of potential Occupational Health and Safety concerns (in fact when one guest collapsed and others ran to get a first aid kit, noone at reception knew what to do or where to find one - so no assistance was provided). Additionally, there was no evacuation plan in place for the instance of a major crisis (fire, flood or God forbid tsunami).
While the resort was nice, food was good and staff were mostly helpful, at times they just did not know how to manage or appropriately address customer service issues or complaints, in fact unless u spoke to the big wigs, staff appeared powerless and there was no customer centric/satisfaction
 approach. Beach was also heaps dirty, sheets and towels were not changed regularly enough and none of the phones worked in the rooms (we met a group of 10 Aussies and none of their room phones worked) so in case of an emergency or if u wanted dare I say 'room service' good luck! U just need to walk to reception, restaurants and massage place to book in person.
I know all this sounds negative - don't get me wrong it was a nice place, but there are some things that you just can't skimp on  - and communications, electricity, water and health and safety are always going to be the most important things to all travellers, so please Coconut Island, sort it out and please listen to our concerns. Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2011
5  Thank Mgjcb
Ashmanator, General Manager at The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Dear Mgjcb,

Thank you very much for taking the time to notify me of your concerns. My team and I were very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you had hoped. Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused; I have tried to address your points as fully as possible below.

In terms of the water and power issues, as you are probably aware, fire damage to our generator and issues with the pipe work have resulted in disruption to both our power and water services, which we appreciate is extremely problematic for our guests. We have been working tirelessly to fix these problems: the power issue is now completely sorted, and the ongoing water problems will be fixed within the next seven days. Following the full restoration of the power supply, I have also instructed the maintenance team to check each telephone unit in every room, as obviously the power issues have caused some problems there.

We have an extensive and fully vetted evacuation plan in place in the case of fire, flood, or the very unlikely event of a natural disaster. We are currently in the process of updating our guest communication system and I will ensure that details of our safety procedures are given greater prominence to ensure that all guests are fully familiar with them.

As a team and as a resort, we are striving to improve every day. The large majority of our guests give us positive feedback and are very happy during their stay with us; it is, however, our job to ensure that concerns such as yours are addressed promptly and to the best of our ability.

Thank you very much for alerting me to your concerns, and please rest assured that I will work with my team to ensure that each and every point you have raised is given our full attention and fully resolved.

There are newer reviews for The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort

Reviewed November 30, 2011

A relaxing girl’s holiday, with plenty of fine food, sun, and cocktails! We’re just back from a 10 night stay at The Village, and we loved every minute of it!

With a special thanks to Mark and his team for making the trip even more enjoyable, we stayed in a beachfront villa with our own private pool, perfect for lounging around during the day and giving me the opportunity to finally get round to reading all those books that have been stacking up by my bedside this year!

A great little retreat, with only a short boat ride to Phuket for a livelier environment when the need arose! Not that it did often, there’s plenty to get up to on the island, with water sports and day trips offered to the neighbouring islands too.

The menu was great, with a gorgeous selection of Thai food on offer and for the non adventurous there’s the Deli restaurant, perfect for a Pizza at lunch time. Make sure you try the Green Curry. Oh and don’t forget the banana bread at breakfast! With the Villas and Suites all equipped with kitchens, it’s also great for ordering room service or grabbing something from the Brassiere, another great place to get a take away to eat back at the villa is at the seafood restaurant at Laem Hin Pier.

The staff were really friendly and helpful, particularly the gardening staff… well, I can’t not big them up when they bought us fresh coconuts from the palms every now and then- delicious!

The construction work is still going on but it didn’t affect our stay at all, all the communal areas, suites and villas that are in use are finished to high standard. The completion of the works at Christmas time will only add to the beauty of the resort.

There were a few power cuts during our stay but what can you expect when you’re staying on an island away from the mainland! They didn’t last long and torches were provided in both our villa and suite. One particular evening when we returned to the island after a night out a power cut had lasted a little longer than normal, but the management were on hand to explain what was going on and offered us in scents to burn to keep the mosquitoes away and torches, so I can’t complain really, and by the time we got back to our suite the power had come back on.

We didn’t spend much time in the communal pool ourselves but it was nice when we did, still peaceful even with the children around, and I have to say, three girls of our ‘not so young’ age still enjoyed the waterslides!

Overall, The Village is a really great place for couples and families alike. It’s unique and place to be enjoyed before everyone finds out about it. I’d definitely recommend paying that little bit extra for a villa, with that said, we did spend two nights of our stay in a Jacuzzi suite, which was also lovely, perfect for couples! I loved it so much that I’m hoping to return very soon!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank Keri M

Dear Keri M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a thorough and complimentary review. My team and I were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and very happy that my team’s communication during our unfortunate power shortages was swift and thorough.

I will pass your kind comments regarding the food onto Chef Lee and his team, and I will also thank the gardening team for you.

We really hope that you will return to Coconut Island for your next holiday.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We arrived at the pier to go to the island and there was a lovley worker named orn.Everything from service to all the great and friendly staff.we ate mostly on the island had cocktails at sunset. The staff could not do enough for us .

Room Tip: ask for a jucuzzi suite
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank JanetteErich22
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Firstly, we are Absolute members. Bought into it in Aug '11. Yes from those Absolute sharks. No one's fault, but our own. The selling bit they are great at, the service bit they really need to work on, very hard too. We were promised the world, but once we got back home the wheels came off. Battled to book, endless phone calls to Thailand, still no membership card, no certificate - nearly 3 months after our signatures were put down on membership paperwork. Their website is atrocious at best.
The worst is that no one takes responsibilities. You are shunted from manager to head of this to boss of that. With nil result. Just faces of shock when told about our Absolute experiences and cries of disbelief. Well it is happening Absolute!! 'Just email me' they say, well we did the whole lot of you and still no joy!
In August we were treated to a 90 minute presentation that turned into a 6 hour one by one of the staff, Richard. What a lot of bull he spread - we now find out. Spend the day on Coconut Island listening to their product. We will take responsibly for our actions. We should not have signed anything,should've thought about it a bit more and a better Internet research effort into them. But $15000 later and here we are.....

So in November we decided to take up our free one week offer at any resort in Asia as per our contract. We wanted Absolute Bangla Suites, but after many phone calls were told it is not available. So much for the talk of - any time you want to stay, anywhere in the world - just book and it is yours !! No doesn't work like that.
Instead we were offered The Village at Coconut Island. The booking was done via the Phuket Absolute office (seeing that the website is so hopeless). Thanks for your help Leanne.
So it was no surprise (after reading all the Tripadvisor reviews) to fly into Phuket and have no pick up at the airport !!! But we were assured high and low that it was arranged. Well we stood in the heat waiting after walking up and down looking for our lift. So off we go in a taxi 500Bhat later, which you need to get a receipt for otherwise you can't get reimbursed. Not even an act of goodwill on Absolute's part to repay us. No receipt - no money back.
Get to the jetty and had to sit and wait in the heat another 30 minutes for the water taxi to take us to the jetty at The Village - a 5 minute trip. Even though it was docked at the jetty and the staff stood around smoking and talking.
It didn't get any better, once at the hotel there was a lot of scurrying between the front desk and the Absolute office directly across. It appears no one knew we were arriving - but hey they've send us confirmation emails and remember that promised airport pick up ! And this is the best - the hotel told us that they are the hotel and Absolute is Absolute !!! They work separate!!! The hotel is not responsible for what Absolute does. Well that was obvious!
Why then get them to sell your product??
By then my blood was boiling!! Eventually ushered to our Jacuzzi suite via a modified golf buggy. Once in our room I grabbed my bathers and headed for the pool to cool down! Seeing that there was no electricity - meaning no aircon, can't boil kettle, can't have lattes, can't watch telly, no Jacuzzi, no slides, no fans....

Overall it was a 2and a half to 3 out of 5 holiday.
The Village has a lot going for it. It also has a lot against it.
Our biggest gripe was that damn, damn water taxi. Why can't there be a better communication system between the water taxis?? People are waiting send a taxi!!
I get that there has to be a timetable, but you'll have so many people waiting and then everyone storms onto the water taxi overloading it. There is no system in regards to who gets on first. You wait for half an hour to have people storm past you and jump in ahead of you. I saw a woman holding a sleeping baby in the rain, being left behind when a bunch of Russian tourists stormed on before her. No staff involvement in a fair system.
There are no umbrellas either for rainy days. No shelter on the resort's side pier. No safety rails to walk down the slippery stairs. No covers to protect people on the piers from the rain.
At low tide another pier was used at the back of the resort. When it is low tide there is no beach front at the resort only thick deep mud!!

And for a resort still in its toddler stage to have so many maintenance issues:
There were Jacuzzi suites being renovated already due to poor initial building.
The water taxis for one either broke down or were in a poor state with rail guards not attached to the boat, loose coverings/objects on the ground, petrol containers present and the ever overcrowding. Who will be responsible when an accident occurs and people drown?? Or worse people smoking so near the boats??
Specially at night in choppy conditions at the speeds they travel.

Then as others have mentioned on here the daily blackouts. And they are still building the resort. What are they going to do then??? More villas, more suites, more people ??!!
And that damn noisy generator !! Sounds like a helicopter taking off continuously.
Oh and then heavens help if you want to shower or brush your teeth 'cos there is no water!!!! again !! Or one person showers and then no more hot water for ages.
We tried to use the phone - no service. Yes it was dead. What to do in an emergency?? Like the one we thought we were having after hearing a woman scream at 2am in the morning. So loud we both flew out of bed thinking she was being murdered....only to hear her scream some more in her moments of ecstasy!!!
The Jacuzzi outside our room, although heaven after a hot day - had many tiles missing. I saw that this was common throughout. It was however maintained as we saw staff tend to it on a daily basis. The tiles leading up to the Jacuzzi are slippery when wet and it gets hell hot - so keep slip on shoes outside for that. Jacuzzi outside a great idea surrounded by all the plants and private.
And what is with no wall in the toilet - no privacy !! Embarrassing!! Some things should just stay private no matter how long you've been married.
What other gripes do we have?? The way some of the Absolute staff and Russian (again) visitors spoke with the staff was appalling. Very rude and demanding. There was a particular dark thick haired Absolute bloke that was so loud and obnoxious. Our first day there he never said a sentence without a swear word in it. Not professional at all.
We also had very little info in regards to what is happening around the resort. Nothing got promoted and you found out when you saw others do things. A newsletter explaining what is the go with the black outs/lack of water/what special activities/special restaurant promotions/special meal evenings are on etc..would be a good idea.
Every night at the Intercontinental in Bali we had a letter stating what is on the next day and what is available as regular attractions/activities.
I only found out at the end that a bloke I thought was a building contractor was in fact the manager Bernie. No name tags worn by some staff and this goes for Bernie too.
There is a blackboard at The Deli or Tamarind Rest entrance that will have some info in regards to buffet meals/specials of the day etc..but you are not always in that area to see it.
No assistance was offered to people on the rainy days which were mostly during the evenings. Saw many people huddle under shelter to get from restaurant to room. Specially on the wet jetty trying to get on/off the water taxi and up a steep ramp - accidents waiting to happen. As previously mentioned on a review.
This is not the place for anyone with a physical disability, in a wheel chair or elderly people.
The cleaning also had a lot to be desired. Because of all the mud around the resort the brooms they are using don't seem to be doing the job. Get a vacuum people!! Many a days we walked in and as per tradition have to take your shoes off, just to have sand/grit underneath. We had a light bulb out in the bathroom. I removed the covers to indicate to this and even left the lights on one day. A week later nothing has been replaced. Also many a day had to chase down the lady cleaning our room to ask for replacement tea/coffee as it hasn't been refilled. They must've run out of bathroom floor towels as we spend half our time there with a beach towel on the bathroom floor to mop up the water. And water there is a lot of as there is no proper cover on the shower. Our door leading into the back also did not close properly and would not lock.
One day we walked in and the bathroom was flooded from the toilet!! But credit to them was fixed within the half hour.

It seemed that the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. We asked for a late check out as our flight was near midnight. This was arranged by Bernie who stated not a problem, consider it done, we could leave our room by 8pm. Just to be locked out of our room at midday, because no one informed the front desk or cleaners. Up and down the stairs and back to our room to try and sort this ourselves. Just very poor service. Then a knock on the door at 5pm to ask when are we leaving??! What the hell??
The room itself is not bad. Would've liked another pillow for the bed. Couldn't find one in the cupboards. Not a lot of hanging space/hooks outside of the wardrobes. Still after a week couldn't figure out the light switches. Items hanging in the bathroom seemed to dry quicker than those outside which seems weird, despite the heat. At night it also rained so don't leave anything outside. Keep doors closed etc due to the mossies. So spray plenty!
The Spa was great. It is beautiful and the girls really lovely. The Hydro pool, sauna and steam room was free to use as the resort is not finished yet. I paid 2000Bhat for an aromatic massage. No elbow grinding. Just bliss. Yes expensive compared to the mainland ones. It is a pity though that they want to charge people for exercise classes, yoga and the use of basics at the spa. I feel those should be free and the therapies can be paid for. This is not a cheap resort and so isolated so at least have some fun things on the house. I also wanted to book a manicure/pedicure and was told no booking was available till 3 days later. Off to the mainland I went.
We did partake in taking on a kayak!! Laughed a lot. Great staff to help out on the beach. Some of the water activities you had to pay for though. Again why??? We wanted to go snorkelling at one of the local islands, but couldn't due to their availability of the service. (This service was offered by the resort.) Which was sad as I really wanted to do this. But no compromise.
My husband and I skipped breakfast after 3 days as it was always cold. I hate cold bacon! It was an interesting selection though, but no choice on how to have your eggs. Omelettes were the only ones on offer. I did enjoy the bread selection, fresh fruit and waffles/pancakes.
Service at the restaurants & bars was okay. The staff are trying really hard. They are friendly and always smiling. But I got the feeling of underlying stress. A single job always never just had one person doing it, but several coming in to say something about it or give a helping hand.
You don't have a dedicated person serving your section, so there is a lot of scrambling around and waiting for items or coffee and trying to catch someone's eye to serve you.
In general the food was really good and tasty. The Deli's coffee was great! The cocktail list long and drinks delicious!! Beers ice cold ! Biscuits for sale are yummy!! The head chef friendly and always around to say hello and help out staff. Good selection and variety. The pizza oven was a great idea. Loved them!
Happy Hour 6-7pm was fun, but busy. If it rained and only one bar operated it was chaos. You waited ages to get served.
I also did not appreciate it when smokers lit up around you. Specially at meal times. I noticed that happening everywhere though. There is no non-smoking area.
At the Tamarind Restaurant there is an outside bar are that needs a cover/roof. Bottles of alcohol are standing out in the hot sun and when it rains everyone runs around to carry bottles inside and cover up the bar. The staff also had a hard time in the heat with no shelter between service. It is a great place to sit and watch the world, but can get quite hot in the sun.
The pools are great. Spend most of our time around and in it. They were clean and well maintained. The slides were heaps of fun, but only try the fast one. The slower one great for kids! But as all over the world you have the beach chair thieves who place their belongings on the chairs early, never to be seen again for the rest of the day. Take a leaf out of Intercontinental Bali again and have a workable system. You don't use it for two hours you loose it. Also no bar service at the pool which is not the end of the world, but it would've been nice if someone came around, removed bottles, glasses and taken an order. I'm not a beach person, but did go into the ocean a few times. There is a lot of rubbish that gets washed up on the shore which is really sad. During the day someone cleans it all up.
My husband and I went for long walks/runs every morning. We started off exploring local roads and just kept walking.....we ended up on the other side of the island where we met & chatted with a Swiss family who lives on the highest point. They directed us to a private beach. We saw another resort on the island - yet unfinished after Absolute told us there is only one resort on the island. ?? Lots of land and houses for sale in really secluded areas. Saw some amazing sights and villages. The locals were so friendly and cheered us on when we jogged past. There is a lot to see if you take the trouble to go beyond the resort. Felt the tropic heat, saw the most amazing views on top of the island, walked up the steepest hill in the world I'm sure !! climbed over many rocks changing shapes and colours on our last day when we decided to go around the island.
One morning very early we hopped on the water taxi and took a run/walk through the villages close to Haen Lin pier. It was so great to meet the locals and see how different their lives are from ours.
Had great seafood lunches and dinners at Hean Lin Seafood Restaurant at the pier. Very cheap and fast service. Nothing fancy in regards to settings of tables, but the food was so good. Another floating restaurant is nearby, but never got there in the end. Just walking further along the private road and ask the locals.
Taxi service from the pier very good and clean. Anything from Bhat 400 (to Tesco outside Phuket Town) to 600+ (Patong Beach) depending where you want to go. It works on a first come first serve basis, unless you've booked the driver via telephone.
There is a lot to see and do in Phuket. I was just happy to do a day or two of shopping in Phuket Town and Patong Beach and then headed to the Night Market in Phuket Town. So worth it!!
This resort has a lot going for it, they need to improve on the faults and listen to their reviewers and customers. Someone needs to take responsibility !

Room Tip: Anything NOT near the lobby, so you don't have to hear the drone of the giant generator. Villas...
4  Thank Belinda H

Dear PaulBelinda,

Thank you for taking the time to post such an extensive review. I have passed your comments onto the team at Absolute and I trust that they will address them promptly for you.

I am very sorry that our front desk was not made aware of your arrival. As you know, Absolute are an external firm that we have engaged to help us with the villa sales side of our business in these challenging economic times. I fully appreciate that your issues upon arrival must have been extremely frustrating for you, and I will speak to Absolute again to ensure that communication is improved where needed, as it clearly was in this case.

In terms of your comments regarding the water taxi; we try to minimise our impact on our surrounding environment wherever possible, and one of these measure involves running a controlled timetabled system, rather than just running a large water taxi back and forth throughout the entire day. We really hope you understand. We were very sorry to hear that some of our guests were less than courteous when boarding the water taxi; we trust our guests to behave with respect and to display courteous behaviour towards their fellow guests, but unfortunately as I am sure you can appreciate this is something which is simply impossible for us to monitor.

I have carefully noted all of your comments – both good and bad – and those that relate to us and therefore can be dealt with by my team will be done so promptly. With regard to those comments which relate to Absolute, we will continue to relay your feedback and work with Absolute to ensure that all of our guests have the best possible time with us, whether they have booked through Absolute, other agencies or through ourselves directly.

Thank you again for the time you took to post your comments, and I really do hope that you will visit us again to see all the improvements that we are constantly making come to fruition.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed there for a week and there were at least 4 (long) blacks out within 2 short days (maybe there were even more when I was away from the island), the management just totally failed to handle this properly, we only got a letter explained what happened the afternoon after the first black out (while one more happened during that afternoon time) then there was a third and fourth one when it was evening, it was totally dark outside but no help offered from the resort, guests were left stranded in darkness in their villas, they should have sent some staff to see if any one need help. No compensation was offered until I asked for it, I do not recommend this place, in consideration that they are even expanding this place, the power supply is too unstable, we are just a bunch of holiday makers who want to be relaxed and not to worry when it will black out and no warm water again!

One more thing, there is no toilet door in the villa, that's...new to me.

2  Thank Laison
Ashmanator, General Manager at The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear Laison,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. As you are aware, during your stay there were severe power issues caused by circumstances out of our control. A fire in the generator room caused our power supply to fail, and until we were able to get this fixed we were relying on a back-up generator which unfortunately was not 100% reliable.

This problem has now been fixed, and I totally take on board your comments regarding communication. I have spoken at length with my resort management team as we are aware that, being only a small team, we weren’t able to reach as many guests as quickly as we could have. We have now put in place a response plan to ensure that, if this ever happens again, guests will be notified and reached as quickly as possible.

In response to your comments regarding the absence of a loo door; during your stay with us you were in a suite, rather than a villa. The bathrooms in our beautiful suites are open-plan and include, as you know, a rain shower, freestanding bath, vanity unit and lavatory unit. This is all enclosed. Our villas all include separate bathrooms and lavatory facilities. I hope that this clears that up, and I hope that you liked your suite.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this issue; we really hope that the rest of your stay with us was enjoyable and that the compensation you received went some way to making up for the problems experienced due to this unfortunate incident.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

We got a great deal, so I was not sure what to expect. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite which has a lot more space than the pictures give justice. All the inside fittings were modern and the garderns are well maintained, we loved the jacuzzi, pools and sailing on the beach. The resort still has some construction going on far enough away to not notice.

1  Thank Chris A

Dear Chris A,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that your suite exceeded your expectations!

We really hope to see you back at The Village for your next holiday.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Having just returned from Coconut Island.... We purchased a voucher for the Nakalay Beach Resort through the internet and after various problems, we were upgraded to the Village, Coconut Island. Having stayed there for 7 nights, we decided to extend our stay to 10 nights. We stayed in a one bedroomed Jaccuzi suite, which although fairly basic, was very comfortable. We found the staff overall extremely friendly, helpful and capable, in particular the restaurant Manager, Lee, who runs the two beautiful restaurants on Coconut, which we would find hard to fault. The food and drink prices in the resort was extremely reasonable, in fact, it was a hard decision to want to leave the island !!! The Sports/Beach staff were simply amazing, and Oad and his two assistants were so encouraging, with kyaking, cycling and Boxing !!!! We had no issues with anyone from the sales side ie Absolute and found the Manager, Hugh to be extremely helpful and friendly towards guests of the resort. However, anyone purchasing a holiday knowing that they are expected to attend a Seminar re Time Share, then they should expect sales people to do their job !!! This is an ideal location at Coconut, so beautifully isolated from the mainland of Phuket , and only a short boat ride from jetty to jetty. Hopefully, we will return at some point in the future as our trip was so delightfully peaceful, with choices of activities if we so wished. Thank you the wonderful staff of Coconut Island for making our trip so very special.

Room Tip: If given the opportunity I would recommend paying extra and upgrading to a Beachfront villa.
1  Thank Ann_Perth_10

Dear Ann_Perth_10,

My team and I were delighted to read such a great review. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience of The Village!

I will pass your kind comments regarding the restaurants onto Chef Lee, and also pass your thanks on to the Beach and Sports teams.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and we only hope that we might have the pleasure of seeing you back on Coconut Island in the near future.