“Worth every cent we paid.”
Review of Sandalay Resort

Sandalay Resort
Ranked #122 of 447 Hotels in Pattaya
Bangkok, Thailand
“Worth every cent we paid.”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This mid-sized hotel really was very nice. We particularly like its location, a two-minute walk can lead us fom the hotel to the beach. The room was great, it had a nice beach and sea view, and the L-shape bathroom was spacious. Bed and sofa (day) bed were both very comfy. There also was a nice corner in the room decorated to handle dining needs of the guests. Satellite TV and local cable box were all included. Last but not least, breakfast was far better than what we had expected. And we paid only half of what we would have paid had we stayed at other hotel of the similar quality for a similar type of room in Pattaya city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mbe_thaiwah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2012

The location of this hotel is great for those who are not overly interested in the Walking Street 'attractions' as it is right at the other end of Beach Rd. Just accross the road from the beach and surrounded by some curiously designed hotels, you will feel like you are in a dry dock when you see the, literally, ship shape hotel next door.
As for the Sandalay itself I was quite impressed with the hotel. Nice rooms although from reading other reviews I understand that the standard rooms are a little small. I went for the Deluxe Sea View and it was more than adequate for space. Great shower and toilet facilities but they are a little cheap when it comes to the shower gel etc. this is not in the little bottles we all love (to take home!) but in a dispencer on the wall! at this price a couple of bottles should not be an issue.
The balcony was a little small but fine for one person to sit and take in the view of the bay, slightly obsured in my case hence the reference to the 'boat' next door.
Breakfast was plentiful although not the warmest I have eaten. Ate in the restaurant at the front of the hotel a couple of times, as good as anywhere in the area for Thai food and reasonably priced. Sit at the front as the deck is slightly raised so perfect for watching the world go by.
I only marked the service down as average because some of the front desk staff were not full of the famous Thai smile and more importantly they booked me a taxi to the wrong airport even though I had made several attempts to ensure that they had me down as going to Utapao not Bangkok, which is where I very nearly ended up!
I would and am planniing to stay there again as it is the best location for anyone visiting Pattaya but is not overly interested in Walking Street in all its sordid glory!

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms for the space.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank JimBann
Latvia
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have stayed there 2 nights and it was really good for our needs.

+ location - exactly center, sea just across the street
+ free wi-fi
+ really good quality of room and modern interior (for us wasn`t the best view from room, but if curtains are closed, then room was perfect)
+ attitude in hotel was welcomed and warm

Hotel is good 3* hotel. Behind the corner there is 2 little shops: 7eleven and FamilyMart, as well laundry service - perfect is you stay for 1-2 weeks, restaurants, shops - all for beach road and 2road (don`t need to drive nowhere)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank lindawelsa
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The hotel is showing its age with a lot of wear and tear. The standard rooms are tiny at only 23 Sq. Meters. I opted for the larger room at over 50 sq. meter. If you don't pay extra for a room with a beach view, you'll get a room with a view of the adjacent building which is not a good sight. The front desk inadvertently gave me breakfast vouchers for my three day stay. On my first day of breakfast after presenting the voucher to the restaurant employee(with the date/room/name) I began to fill my plate with food at the buffet. By the time I was about to sit down with my breakfast, the restaurant employee informed me the voucher was not valid. I protested, placed my plate on the table. Without touching my breakfast, she suggested I check with the front desk. The front desk expecting me with a sheepish grin said they were sorry, my room did not include breakfast. I told them they gave me the vouchers, I had a full plate and was embarassed by them asking me to leave and that my voucher was not valid. The front desk really needs more training. More than half the staff have trouble communicating in English. I would not return to this hotel. At best, the hotel is 2.5 stars.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the beach view room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Thaistyx

Travelers are raving about these Pattaya hotels

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I really loved staying in Sandalay Resort, warming hospitality, freindly staff, beautiful and sea view rooms! accommodation and food was so nice that we cant forget the experience of staying there. Location is so nice that it is just few steps from the beach. close to the main road where in it easy walkable to indian restaurants, walking street, water sports and many other activities, also can do nice shopping as it is close to some intetesting malls, alcazar show the main attraction of pattaya.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jabeen157
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Was booked into this hotel as part of a travel package. First impressions: loved the location of the hotel- just across the beach. Its a pleasure to walk alongside the road on which the hotel is situated exploring the different eating & entertainment options with the beach on the other side.

The breakfast restaurant is out on the open with beach front views- Great! We had a standard room with the balcony overlooking the parking- but it doesn't really matter as we anyways intended to spend the max. time outside in the city. The toilet got choked up on the first day, but as soon as we complained, they sent someone up to fix it in jiffy. Tiffany Show, and all that jazz is just 5 mins away by tuktuk. No complaints!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ParomitaS
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed here two nights total.
I arrived and it seemed they were either undersatffed or the staff were new.
For the price I was gonna pay, I wanted a beach view. Great, I add a few more bucks to get a better room but i first requested a tour of two or three room types to choose from.
I chose the deluxe facing south and I got what I paid for. A Spacious room - though the beding was in the middle. The room was awesome. I love the Bathroom shower stalls relly retro.
The pools weren't too much for swiming but attractively nice for lounging and sunbathing.
Food wasn't too special but yeah, go ahead and enjoy the breakfast in direct view of the ocean.
Great location at the end of soi 3. Just a walk down there's soi 6 with alot of entertainment not too far away.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business