“Excellent villas but... the 3rd world still creeps in”
Review of View Talay Villas

View Talay Villas
Ranked #144 of 458 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've been staying at "the Villas" (VTV) for about 12 years and it's easily my favorite place to stay in Chonburi Province. VTV are actually in Jomtien, which is just a little east of Pattaya. That is a "good thing", as, even if you are there to party, Pattaya gets old fast. Much better to have your fun in Pattaya, then take a 40 baht (US$1.25) taxi ride back home to your quiet haven. Pattaya has degraded over the years as most of the sand on the beaches has been washed away and the quality of Thai food has diminished since most of the diners are Farangs (foreigners) who "don't know the difference".
This is another reason to stay at Jomtien as the beaches, which go on for miles, are still nice and the family atmosphere is much better for daily activities. There are plenty of good restaurants and you can still find traditional Thai food here.
At VTV, the villas range from 1-bedroom to 3. The configuration of the houses is pretty much "Bali style" with kitchenettes, large bedrooms and a nice living area. The pools are immaculately clean and sometimes there are a few lovely and fragrant plumeria flowers floating on top of the water. The landscaping is exceptional with some wonderful fan palms and a few statues.
Years ago, it was a long walk to get to the taxi loop and the main road outside of the complex was dirt. Since then, it is all paved and it is about a 10-15 minute walk. Please note: if you are not healthy condition or cannot suffer a medium-length walk during hot humid conditions, you should either take a pass on VTV, or rent a car or driver. My spouse and I enjoy the walk and we each lost about 2 pounds during our stay in Thailand (that is normal) so it's not a problem with us.
The villas are VERY private and since each villa has it's own pool, it is likely that you will be tempted to swim "au natural". Why not... it's your holiday, right?
Regarding the 3rd world effect. There are ample mosquitoes all around Chonburi so be sure to get the cute little bottles of repellant from 7-11 (just down the street) and I recommend that you keep a couple of the Baygon coils burning before dusk your you will be chewed up.
I'm sad to report that, on this last trip, someone did come into our house and steal my wife's cash. They got about US$300 and luckily they left everything else in her bag including credit cards, passport, etc. They only wanted the cash. On the same table as her back was my laptop, an underwater camera, an expensive digital camera, my bag and an iPhone 4. They didn't touch any of it. I think it was an "inside job" as the sliding glass door was unlocked and not "jimmied". They must have had a key.
At the time of the theft, my spouse and I were sleeping in the bedroom with the door locked. Most of the money and such was in the room with us and locked in a safe.
We reported the theft to manager Klaus in the morning and he investigated but did not offer any compensation.
To sum it up, in the 3rd world, you "take the good with the bad" and learn some lessons along the way.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jkilthau
There are newer reviews for View Talay Villas

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have stayed in Pattaya once before with friends celebrating a birthday, and we never really left the main beach side (Pattaya beach). On this return trip I was passing through for a couple of nights only to sight an internet marketing business for sale based in Cosy Beach. Looking at Pattaya from the map I wanted to be out of the hustle and bustle so chose Jomtien beach around the point.

It definitely a good choice and nowhere near as secluded as I thought it would be. It is a short walk or ride down Soi 7 to a nice beach with lots of great restaurants all the way along Jomtien Beach road. It has Soi's with all the massage and Tattoo parlors etc that you find around the front.....but less street vendors and less tourist traffic.

The View Talay was a perfect location for what I was after. My (Thai) girlfriend has a motorbike so we zoomed all around the surrounding area, up the hill by the Pattaya sign, all around Cosy beach....what a cool area, better than the central tourist area. It was only 5 minutes into Walking street (Central) area on the bike if you do want to go there.

The hotel staff were typically Thai friendly, polite and helpful. I stayed in one of the hotel rooms overlooking a large pool not a villa. (I have already made inquiries about getting a villa next time!) It turned out that this was not the pool we were to use, but the one we would use was just as nice....3 to 4 minutes walk through the complex to the pool.

Although this place is huge it felt quite boutique. It is not a lobby style commercial hotel, more like long term accommodation resort style. My room was just up the steps to the second floor from reception.....no lifts, perfect.

You can walk next door to the markets and a few bars and restaurants etc typically. We went to the eatery Kiss Food and Drinks also next door, but I would not recommend that if you are looking for fine food.

The only thing I would improve is the air conditioning and ceiling fan was difficult to operate; and I couldn't turn down the icy cold air blowing straight onto the bed. Also the fan was on full speed all the first night and I couldn't turn it down either.....later being advised that it is turned off at the wall point that has a lamp plugged into it. Who would have thought? So just a couple of simple instructions for adjusting the room condition would be helpful.

I hope to return and try the private villas next time...they looked terrific with their private pools and lovely little courtyards.

In typical Asian style, the website lest this place down....it is very nice and I shall be back, so try it!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SmithersinAU
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Seems to be a frequent problem in finding the location of these villas in Jomtien beach , but from our arrival we found these villas offered everything we required and beyond . We rented the 1 bedroom villa + Breakfast in it,s own private ground and pool which was perfect for a quiet , peaceful break allowing us to eat , drink and sunbathe at our lesuire . The villa was cleaned and beds made everyday by a great friendly team of maids and the breakfast was flexible to allow for a cooked , continental or just a bit toast and very good vaule for money as we had it included in our accomadation bill . .The location was a 5 min walk from the Tuk Tuk run form Jomtien beach into Pattaya which was easily and safely managed . Lots of choices of resturants from cheap and cheerful to a bit more expensive are close by and by walking down the Soi directly across from the entrence to the villa complex takes you onto the beach front [ 10 mins walk ] . if you want a quiet spot to relax as a single or couple and if you are a family you can keep an eye on the kids at your own pool or you can use the complex pool with again excellent facilities in locker rooms , showers , towels and toilets all available .

Room Tip: if you can take the full option of the 1 or 2 bedroom villa with breakfast then take this as it offe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dartygolf
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We just stayed on the long weekend 2nd -4th June. I work in the Hotel industry in Thailand and have been in the region for over (8) years so I have experienced quite a few properties. This is by no means a resort, nor accurately a Hotel... flouting the standards of Thai Hotel Association it's leased villas as part of a residential complex so don't expect any service or facilities to be of a 5 star standard. For me the (1) BR Villa we booked was over-priced, for 130USD per night approx. I could have found superior accomodation. It is a tired and run down room w/ dated furnishing and many little things that are irksome.. access gates don't lock properly, microwave has a non-thai plug but no adapter supplied, no phone ?? the list goes on ... the private pool and seclusion once inside the courtyard are great as is the clubhouse pool, the grounds are lovely and peaceful but why are we being offered a (2) star breakfast (no choice just lukewarm coffee and re-heated american b'fast) for (5) star prices? quite simply pathetic. Clearly the German Manager or Owner doesn't read reviews nor respond, I only saw him once talking rudely to one of the Thai staff. With some effort, re-furbishment, training, management and a re-think about rates (they are happy to pay 25% commission to Agoda but wouldn't offer me the same net rate) it could be good but my advice is to shop around... perhaps customers unfamiliar w/ Jomtiem/Pattaya from overseas may think it's a great deal but believe me you can do better.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank DazThai12
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May for 5 days as part of our Thailand honeymoon. The villas were amazing- large, spacious, clean. and the best part was that they each had their own private pool. great for honeymooners!!! The area was easy to find despite some of the review that we'd read and was completely on the main road. there was a great street food market right outside the resort where we quiclky got addicted to street food that was so delicious. The beach was 5 minutes walk from the villas and cabs were very easy to get although it would be advisable for 1 to have their own transport especially a scooter. The villas are also quite close to all the famous tourist sites like Underwater world, Go carting and also a short ride to other places like Mini Siam, sanctuary of truth, and Walking street where we had amazing seafood at the harbour. also be sure to see the Tiffany show (if you're not a prude!)
The down side is that the breakfast gets so monotonous- its always 2 eggs, 2 viennas, 2 slices of toast, a cup of coffee and a glass of juice. it never changes unless you want to buy something else.
The other thing is that the review concerning the hotel not wanting to accept credit card payments is so true. We asked about that immediately on arrival and they said we could pay by card then 10 minute later changed their minds saying the machine was not working. This resulted to a small argument between us on the day we paid but after that they accepted the credit card and the machine was miraculously working. It is my husband's opinion that they are attempting to avoid tax :-).
All in all it is actually the best place to stay in Jomtien - quiet secluded, yet very accessible to all places. trust me, you dont want to be staying in some hotel on a busy street with noise , traders and people everywhere. Stay in a private villa with a private pool instead!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KandVaroundtheworld
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We were there in December 2011 for a getaway during busy commercial Xmas days...Everything in the private pool villa amazed us. Absolute Privacy and quietness guaranteed in our 1-bedroom homey villa. Do not expect fab thai-style deco found in 5-star properties - just simple and sweet with everything you need. Service is minimal (which is perfect if you are looking for privacy) but they are around to help when you need so. We requested for pool cleaning service upon our return to the villa finding fallen leaves on water surface. The (very) professional cleaner arrived promptly and had the pool cleaned (from the surface to the bottom) in 5 minutes - burst of applause!! No uncomfortable fake smile from staff but they are warm and sweet. Stayed for three nights and moved to another international property afterwards - hardly comparable with this sweet View Talay Villa.

P.S. Just a 5-minute walk from Jomtien beachside where you can find restaurants and bars. Do note that Jomtien beach is not really in the centre of Pattaya (so it is a lot calmer) and it is not that easy to find for first-timer. We arrived there by car rental (booked via hotel about 2000 baht) from airport which saved us hassle.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sawadeekaaa
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed 3 weeks in View Talay Villa. We had two rooms house (one bedroom, one living room with kitchen) with small pool and own yard.
View Talay Villa area is guarded 24/7 and has only one entry with guards on the gate. You feel secured. Area is very quiet and every house has own privacy. You can´t see in neighbours yard because of high walls.
We rented house directly from our friend. Part of houses are private owned. Once we buyed cleaning from View Talay Villa and it wasn´t worth of nothing. It cost 500 b, quite a lot in local pricelevel. Specially when cleaning wasn´t so good. Of course our own fault that we didn´t check and complain about it. The area itself is very tidy and garden is well taken care.
There is a big main pool area with restaurant but we didn´t use those services. Area looked nice and cosy. We enjoy more about the beach and gently cooling wind from the sea.
We had rental moped so it was very easy to move at Jomtien. There is 7eleven and many restaurants in walking distance. To the beach is about 15 min walking.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pattaya
Welcome World Resort & Spa
Tropicana Pool Villa
Tropicana Pool Villa
#15 of 56 in Jomtien Beach
VIP Villas Pattaya Palm Oasis Jomtien Beach

Been to View Talay Villas? Share your experiences!