“A fun place”

Ranked #7 of 472 Specialty Lodging in Pattaya
Taichung, Taiwan
“A fun place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed at the Penthouse twice and will be returning for my third stay in a few days. The hotel has a unique design and theme and in general is a comfortable and fun place to stay. The hotel is definitly geared towards adults, both singles and couples, and not really an environment for families.

The beds are comfortable and I have had no problem getting a good sleep during my visits. There is some music noise from nearby bars, but nothing that really bothered me. They do seem to have a few issues with maintenance (Aircon units, water leaks, elevators, etc.) but the staff has alway been more than eager to help me with any issue.

I have enjoyed my stays at the Penthouse and would recomend to my friends that are traveling to Pattaya for a good time to look into the Penthouse.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank TNM1954
PenthouseHotel, General Manager at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
" Thank You ' ..for taking the time to submit your findings and we are most pleased that you had an enjoyable experience ! ( Sorry that the elevator was undergoing it's Certification and major maintenance / Replacement schedule ) And, .. No doubt as a result, .many Guests are reporting major weight losses ! ... Elevator apart, we do have in-house 24HR maintenance Staff on-hand to attend to normal engineering calls. Look forward to Welcoming you again, Back to the PENTHOUSE HOTEL !

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

You know. There is little I can add to this review. I fully agree with all points!
"I really liked my stay in Penthouse. The location is great, 5-10 minutes walk from Walking Street. The rooms can be decorated with a little more taste but they were clean, space'ful, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I stayed for 10 days and I will not be looking for another hotel when I visit Pattaya again"

I also stayed for 10 days:
The best of my life!
A happy reunion, great ibes, best service, marvelous location.
Thanks, Mr. D & Crew.

Room Tip: Bring your lover - not the kids !
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HansUpton
PenthouseHotel, Front Office Manager at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
" Many Thanks for such a positive Review ! ...The cook, you will be glad to hear ( The one responsible for the Room décor ) .. has now been fired, .. and the Bell-Hop assures us that he can provide a much-Better ambience, although we are just a little apprehensive in passing the paint-brushes ! ... Look forward to seeing You Again ! ,, ( In The New Renoir a la Thai Suite ) "
Durres, Albania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I really liked my stay in Penthouse. The location is great, 5-10 minutes walk from Walking Street. The rooms can be decorated with a little more taste but they were clean, space'ful, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I stayed for 10 days and I will not be looking for another hotel when I visit Pattaya again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Erjon B
PenthouseHotel, Front Office Manager at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you, ... very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you suffered neither sadness, tiredness or a headache!

We will work on the decoration, and if you have any pointers or suggestions we would be most grateful to receive.

Look forward to seeing you again and greetings to Albania!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I'm going to write most of this review as if the last bit of my stay didn't happen. It will be honest, and it's a bit long, but stick with me through to the epilogue, it features the most appalling (and perhaps entertaining) piece of customer service I have experienced in twenty years of working on tour and staying in hotels all over the world.

So, the Penthouse is a hotel with a difference. I knew that, I know that, I have no problem with that - I've been to Pattaya before and I know the deal. My new wife and I decided to stay there for a short break on our work/honeymoon Asian tour - we both have a very liberal attitude and it looked like a fun place to spend a couple of free nights, and maybe even play a little. It also doesn't pretend to be 5*, nor was I expecting it to be. But I wasn't expecting it to be this bad.

We got to the room and unpacked - then we noticed the bath was coming out of its casing and the large mirror was unclean and had a massive crack across it. But, it's two nights we thought, we can live with that. When we had a shower it turned out the bath leaked out the bottom, requiring us to lay towels down to stop the room becoming flooded. But hey, two nights, we can live with that too. The mats they put down on the floor to save you treading on the dirty tiles when you step in and out of bed were in fact far dirtier than the floor and the extremities of the room were pretty grim. In fact, the whole hotel has a tired, grubby feel - not because of the adult theme, but because it's actually grubby and tired. We could have asked for a different room after the first night but a) why bother for just two nights and b) clearly these problems are long term and no one has bothered to fix them; I doubt the bath or the mirror broke just before we arrived, so what difference would us moaning make if others had before to no avail...? I took photos of a couple of the bad bits only to show I'm not making it up - after reading the other reviews it seemed important to be clear about that.

The bed is reasonably comfy, and comfortingly high enough off the ground to put off the mini roaches that we found scuttling across the floor (avoiding the roach traps) and around the bathroom. One, squashed on the bathroom mirror by a previous inmate, lasted there our entire stay - housekeeping didn't notice it, or if they did, they didn't care. I'm not sure what was in the bed though, as during our entire three week trip the only time either of us were bitten was during the nights in this hotel. And yes, I know there are bugs in this part of the world, and I know to keep the bug screen shut, but still, the ONLY time... The TV has a wealth of channels - mostly non English speaking - but no guide, so we had no idea which channel was where. A Star Movie channel or something similar wouldn't have gone amiss.

The bed being comfy is one thing, being able to sleep is another. The noise from either downstairs or next door or wherever is thumping until about 3am. But we're in a party town, so we should expect this. We might also expect sound proofing, but we don't get that. Location-wise you are in the thick of things, which is good on the one hand, but there are hotels only a short walk away that are almost as close to the action, without being as close to the noise. Each morning of our stay a dog woke us up pre 7am and barked on and off for about an hour. Not the hotel's fault? Maybe not, but on the flip side, if it's waking up your guests you might want to address the issue. Just as we started to slip back into much needed sleep, housekeeping takes over, shouting down the echoey corridors at a frequency and volume guaranteed to wake the soundest sleeper. Then there was housekeeping's telephone. I don't know where it was but it rang, frequently, and it was piercing. Our 'do not disturb' sign only staved off them physically knocking on the door, not waking us up in myriad other ways.

The club within the hotel, indeed advertised alongside it, was more expensive to drink in than most nearby, and largely empty. I don't just mean there were hardly any punters, there also was nobody dancing on stage. Literally nobody, for the entire time we sat and had our drink at about 11pm - in our experience of the town, that was the single only place that happened. When we checked back later a couple of times, it was still the same. Moving on to the morning, the breakfast is OK, with a decent selection. Also on the plus side, there is free wifi. The staff however, are universally cold, uncommunicative and unhelpful. It is also the single only place on the trip I have been asked for a tip. The bellboy brought the cases up, and before I had a chance to locate some cash in my hand luggage, was asking 'no tip for me...?'

There is a pool deck with a mini pool and an indoor pool that looks a bit dodgy. To be fair I didn't sample either, so I can't pass comment on how they are - maybe they are amazing once you are in - but I had no desire to get in either having looked at them. Oh yes, last thing, the morning we left, the hotel had no running water. But I'll get to that in a sec.

To conclude, there are people who will like the kitsch, the cool adult only features and ignore the rest. If that's all you want, then stay here. If you don't care about dirt, poor service, bugs, shabbiness and lack of sleep, definitely stay here. But, you can get the same liberal policies in hotels all over Pattaya and also get quality, cleanliness and good staff, for the same money or less. You might not get a mirror on the ceiling, but then again the one in your bathroom is probably cleaned more regularly than our was. If you want to bring a guest back, get a hotel that looks like you are a decent grown up and not a sex offender - I'm pretty sure they'll respect you more for it. We stayed in another (lovely) hotel here that gave us all that and more for about £5 less a night. The Penthouse needs to be knocked down and started again, maybe then they will give us a hotel worth staying in. And it might get rid of the bugs...

The epilogue...

All that aside, our experience on the last night/morning is the fairy on top of my tree of terrible hotel experiences. It's a very specific story, not a general issue or complaint, but it bears repeating as it underlines the prevailing attitude of this establishment. It doesn't back up, or detract from what you've read so far - it's merely an honest and interesting account of what happened, and perhaps a fair representation of the kind of service and/or attitude you get at this hotel.

There was a slight accident in the room on the last night. Blood was spilt, onto the bed. Nasty stuff, nothing anyone wants to deal with. I went to reception and told them straight away, rather than scurry off in the morning pretending nothing had happened. To their credit, they sent someone up to change the sheets fairly quickly, but once there they announced immediately there would be a 500 Baht charge for cleaning the sheet. Housekeeping attending the room extra times is free - the charge is just for the sheet. I protested that this was a bit steep, but was told we would deal with it in the morning - it being 2am I agreed. Now I'm not adverse to paying for something if I've damaged it, and it wouldn't have broken the bank, but let me put it into perspective. 500 Baht could buy you a taxi half way to the airport, a couple of nights at a (very) cheap hotel here, three days moped hire, a reasonable dinner for two with drinks, a couple of massages, fifty bus rides to the beach, ten beers or three or four bottles of local rum. The nearby laundry we took our stuff to washed two weeks of two people's soiled clothes (including an unrelated blood staining occurrence, incidentally) for 350 Baht, and advertised washing seventy items for 500 Baht. Seventy items... But the Penthouse thought 500 Baht for one sheet was reasonable.

I was prepared to discuss the point further the next morning, but then as we rose from our mostly sleepless night, we found there was no running water in the hotel. After a sweaty night and before a 24 hour journey home we could not shower, clean our teeth or use the toilet. For us this was too much. Add in the leaky bath, the bugs, the poor service and the lack of sleep and we figured they owed us something back from the money we had spent to stay here. But no, they gave nothing. They demanded the 500 Baht and offered nothing to compensate us for our list of woes. In fact, when I pointed out that the most basic requirement of a hotel is to provide washing facilities - something they were not currently doing - the manager insisted it was my fault for not being able to wait until the water came back on rather than offer something to compensate us for starting our travel home without so much as a cursory wash when getting up. It was also apparently not their fault there was no water; it was the city's fault, rather than theirs for not being prepared for this happening (I was told it was not an infrequent event). It was my fault about the bath and the mirror and the bugs as I should have told them sooner (like any would have been a surprise to them) Again and again, the 'it's not our fault' culture prevails.

Eventually the receptionist suggested I pay half. After a while I agreed, in the interests of getting out of the hotel, only to be told that I now could not pay half, I had to pay the whole thing. I refused. The police were called - over one sheet. One sheet then conveniently became two sheets and a duvet, and they were doing us a favour by only charging us for one sheet. Whether this were true or not was irrelevant as they would have charged me this amount for one sheet and still offered nothing in return for not letting me wash, sleep, the leaking bath etc etc... Sadly for me, the police did not speak English that well. They looked like they didn't really agree with the hotel, but my explanation didn't really get through and it was was getting later and later. We remained calm, as did the police, but the receptionist was just shouting at us now and at this point we were seriously in danger of missing a flight. So I just paid them to end the matter.

Now comes the best bit. I handed them a 1000 note, expecting 500 in return, but no, I didn't get that either. They added a service change. After all that, after no water, no toilet even, little sleep and all the other stuff, when I finally gave them what they demanded they added a service charge. As if the service was anything above terrible. I didn't have time to argue, I let it go and we got out of there as fast as we could.

It's such a shame that a fun place like the Penthouse could be is run by people who put clawing a few quid out the customers above any form of decent service. It's a shame that the bad reviews that have been put on this site have gone unheeded; the bugs, the dirt and the poor service are all long running issues it seems. It's a shame the place is so run down and depressing when it should be lively and fun.

In conclusion, don't stay here. Go to a proper hotel. Not because I had a bad experience over a sheet, that's just a one-off example of what the place is like, but because the place is a dump. I imagine it was once the cool place to stay, but now it's just embarrassing. Have a look on trip advisor or google, search which hotels have no issue with bringing the odd guest back if that's what you want - there are many that openly allow it. Stay somewhere truly adult, not somewhere that barely pubescent teen boys with poor ideas about decor might fantasise about. This place is getting away with the most heinous of hotel crimes when it should be locked away to die. It looks like a fun idea, maybe it once was, but in reality the whole place smacks of desperation and sadness and it is living off the idea of what it might once have been and not the reality of what it is. Don't fall for it, don't pay for perceived quality over real quality. Don't let them carry on fleecing people who really should know better - don't be that person. And if you are unlucky enough to end up there, don't, whatever you do, spill something on the sheets.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
35 Thank Sukicat5000
PenthouseHotel, Front Office Manager at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
"Sad, depressing, tired and dirty. With really bad service." Well, … I presume we are relating to the Hotel? … Can’t speak for the honeymoon itself but even allowing for this to be the case, it would seem to most good people that this would be a very strange way to spend one’s honeymoon, and to so celebrate such an important occasion! – unless of course it’s just a matter of repetition ? Few one would think would spend their intimate time together looking or indeed making additional troubles; .. and in this case certainly, finding some! Never mind, they say, ‘we all learn from experience’ …and I hope this will be the case in question.

"Yes !", we remember this gentleman well, and after the police were called, our disappointed friend reluctantly agreed to pay for the damages so caused, broken mirror, damaged Jacuzzi and soiled bedding, etc. etc..

We are however unable to understand the paragraph concerning "Sex Offenders" as, in this case; security had already been alerted to keep a strict eye on this particular Guest. Any such additional Guests would have of course have had to been fully vetted and ID'd; in conjunction with local & our own Hotel procedures and policy, in the interest of convenience and safety of all our valued Guests.....

Such a shame that this gentleman’s way with words have been so badly utilized - I am sure there are Many more important things to do, Especially on holiday, and, one would have thought, particularly on one’s Honey-Moon !.

Trip Advisor has been advised that this is an inappropriate posting and I suspect, it will be removed.
TIP-OF-THE-DAY: “ POLITENESS AND RESPECT are always repaid handsomely !..Never More-So than in ASIA “
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Cannot believe that the previous reviewer actually stayed at this hotel. We checked in on 17 December and having a blast!
Staff are brilliant, food great, sights and sounds of Pattaya exciting and fun! Have not seen a single insect although I was expecting to, after all this is South East Asia? We did snack on some insect delicacies from the local street vendors such as Scorpion, Cricket, Grass Hoppers etc. not bad, but not an every day snack!
Broke my ankle today (not great as this is our honeymoon!) hotel owner took us to a great hospital and organized everything - Thank you so much!!!
We will definitely be back with friends from home. A once in a lifetime unique experience but one we will certainly repeat! (We're just greedy for fun!)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andysam H
PenthouseHotel, Director of Sales at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
>>>>>>>>>>.......... Ankle, ? .... " Thank God That's All you Broke ! " ... { I Think Many in your Positions, ... Would have Brocken a Good deal More ! ...) So Happy you enjoyed the Insects, ...Cook is now scouring the Rooms & SUITES in a frantic effort to now enhance his Restaurant menu, ( Which has been just a Little Boring to date, 'though Very Healthy ) .. after all, Why waste a Good thing ? ...May-be after All , these Asians Really Do have a Tip or Two , to pass-on to their Western Cousins !.. Look forward to, hopefully, seeing you both Again !!
Dubai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We have stayed here as a tour group mostly twice a year for the last three years. I will not add to the many reviews indicating just how niche and fantastic the Penthouse is as a concept. I have watched this hotel decline into the dirty roach-infested hovel that it is now. They are clearly not maintaining the building very well. Of the 5 rooms we booked in Dec 2013 only one had running water which was offset by a loudly whirring aircon that precluded sleep. The water that did come out became browner and browner and smelled badly. In fact the rooms all smelled and when I pointed this out they sent someone who simply grabbed a can of Baygon insect spray and attempted to "freshen" the air with poison. Despite the gas-chamber I gave up counting how many roaches I killed crawling around my room. The next morning I went down to reception to complain where I was greeted with a disgruntled guest who had actually called the police in to complain as the hotel was refusing him a partial refund. He was checking out for the same reasons we were. I went in search of new accommodation and returned asking for at least a partial refund. The manager said the best he could do was move us to other rooms. Other rooms that all had little or dirty running water. He said the problem was not the hotel's but the whole area. I went to a few restaurants in the immediate vicinity and adjacent to the place and all had clean running water. I said I would recount my experience on TripAdvisor and he he told me not to "threaten" him. This once great place is in desperate need of a complete overhaul. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank DesertSweeper
PenthouseHotel, Front Office Manager at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
" What a thoroughly unpleasant and uncalled-for 'Review ' … And from someone that has stayed with us so many times before ! ... ‘We did tell you to go-easy on the available temptations !’ anyway, thank You; and no doubt we Shall be seeing you again after you have more time to recollect your thoughts ! .. ( other members of your group actually Extended their stay) .. and as for that 'police visit' . which you do seem to have partially remembered; was in fact not as remembered ! But in relation only to a driving accident ! ... May-be we should request TA to remove this unsound report in the interest of All ?

And You are of course Quite Right, .. " We don’t have One Decent Room at The PENTHOUSE; .. on the Last count we do still have FIFTY-SIX ! ( You also forgot to include the SUITES ) ... Told you So Many times in the past to "go Easy'.. on the 'ard-stuff!" Almost look forward to seeing You Again !.. Take Care.

PS We, having Now Successfully achieved Your own personal 'Two Star rating', rest assured we will work tirelessly to achieve that final minus 'MINUS ONE STAR' accolade, as both to a pinnacle to our own attained Success; .. and, also to your own undoubted wisdom & self-control under temptation.
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We've just spent a very interesting week at the Penthouse Hotel. We stayed in two rooms and looked at several others. None were exactly the same although they had the main features in each one which represent the hotel theme. Which is adult. Pluses include the location. Almost on the beach and close to the action. 24 hour Room Service. Which we certainly needed as our sleeping patterns were very irregular to say the least. I think Pattaya has this impact on many people. Party all night. Sleep all day. We found the lift a bit slow. Most times we took the stairs. We will be back one day.

Room Tip: Book in advance. That's why we had to change rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PenthouseHotel, Public Relations Manager at Penthouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
>>>>>>>>.......... " Yes ! ... The lift is Not our main attraction, .. best take the Stairs as your regular training exercise; so as to face yet Another night in 'Fun-City'.. if you are able !.. Thank You, and come-Back-Soon."