“A very good and friendly place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Flamingo Hotel
Ranked #319 of 441 Hotels in Pattaya
Norway
“A very good and friendly place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Flamingo Hotel is my favourite accommodation in Pattaya. Basically, it is a very good place to stay and reasonably priced too. For shorter stays (up to 14 days) I always stay there, unless other considerations come into play (like my partner “needs” a swimming pool…).

The last years I have always stayed in the cheapest rooms, so my comments should be read with that in mind. I normally visit Pattaya 3 times every year, and I have stayed mostly at Flamingo Hotel for the last 8 years. Last time I stayed there was this summer (2008)

Below I have tried to give some neutral comments of the positive and negative things about Flamingo.

Positive:
1.The rooms are extraordinary clean……. always.
2.The staff is very friendly
3.The location is excellent. It is walking distance entertainment areas, and the “high tec” shopping mall Tucom is in the same Soi (street). The beach is a little bit away, though.
4.The bar area (My Thai) and the restaurant (Renoir) are some of the nicest in Pattaya.
5.It is very safe.
6.No tour groups.

Negative:
1.The TV is quite small
2.The bathroom is small.
3.The room has a safety deposit box which is safe enough, but it comes with a key – personally I prefer the “digital code” ones …… the key can be lost, which happened to me once…..

There are many returning customers at Flamingo, which normally is a good indication of the quality.
The ones managing the hotel, Jaap and his wife Chan(jira) are very friendly, helpful, and always makes you feel welcome.

• Liked — The freindliness and the exceptionally clean rooms.
  • Disliked — Some of the technical devices are quite old.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Cothen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

I read the review of this hotel written very negative about this hotel, and couldn't resist to respond on this one.

Last month was my sixth stay in less than 2 years in this hotel. For me no other one.
The hotel gives much more than it promise you on their website.
Above all is the service teriffic. Nothing seems to be impossible or too much to ask for any employee up there.

They are good trained by the manager and his wife, and good instructed how to give the guests a very good stay.
The fact the manager talks with his staff on a other base and not only shows them that he is the boss up there i see is a very pleasant relation between staff and manager.
Besides that, the work circumstances are much better than any other hotel i have seen in Thailand (and i have seen a lot, believe me).

I remember so much things arranged for me or my girlfriend it is way too much to write down.
For example, one time taxi-driver did not show up on arrival.
Nothing to blame management for it. After one phone call, i was told to take private cab to hotel. When leaving, i see on bill that taxi from airport to hotel and hotel to airport was not charged (reason: for inconvinience caused).

Yes, i also received a "free" tour by management arround the city and surroundings.
Yes, i got some addresses where i can buy things best.
No commission at all, for sure.

Now, as regular customer, i see every time same faces coming back again and again.

I think they not do that if the service was so poor as mentioned in review.

I rest my case.....Jaap and staff...you'll see me again for sure!!

• Liked — Personal contact with staff and management
  • Disliked — Internet can be better, but writing this i hear they are already working on it
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank balimon
Orewa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

This is the 5th time now that My Family and I have stayed in this Hotel.
Over the past 6 - 7 years this property has contintinued to surprise.
The Friendliness - Cleanliness - Courtesy - and the genuine hospitality of all staff to management (Jaap and wife Jen) you couldn't ask for more.
I say this with confidence as I have recommended this Hotel to perhaps 15 plus friends who in turn have recomended the property to thier friends, all have been well satisfied. We are not talking 5 star we are talking about a hotel that cares, a hotel where you feel safe and look forward to comming back to at night, a home away from home.

• Liked — Helpful - thoughtful and very friendly.
  • Disliked — Couldn't stay long enough. and perhaps the stairs.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Jomtien Beach, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2008

Originally received an attractive rate per month and planned to stay for two months. During the first month made two week long trips to Chaing Mai, but had prepaid etc. So, not using electricity, but paying for the hotel was anticipated.

Received an offer to stay at a condo we later purchased "to see if you like the place" so I let them know that I would be staying one month instead of two months. At checkout they changed the rate, inflated the restaurant bill, added charges for things not used and presented it to me as the cab arrived to fly to Chaing Mai for the second time. They had four days notice and planned this beautifully. There was no time to complain officially and catch my plane.

I knew to chalk this up to experience, talked to my Thai attorney about it, but as all is written in English it is not enforceable. (contracts of all types must be written in Thai to be enforceable in Thailand). I have met other expats who told me that their rooms are extreemly run down although my two room suite was nice. All told with what he inflated the bill for I paid for two months anyway. Be warned. The owner Jaap is charming, intelligent, and crooked as a dogs hind leg. He is a Dane, and anywhere he kindly takes you for anything ranging from tailored garments to massages he is obtaining a commission for taking you there. You can do better for pricing on your own.

The restaurant was all right, but not special. Cheap, but not so cheap or good that you would want to eat there nightly. I found Jaap to be publicly abusive to his staff which was an uncomfortable side attraction. Although I now live in neighboring Jomtien I go nowhere near his establishment and actively avoid the sight of this man

• Liked — convenient to public transport
  • Disliked — dishonest proprietor
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank traveledThailand
JaapFries, General Manager at Flamingo Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2008
As the GM of the Flamingo Hotel*** I can assure you that I am a Dutchman, not a "Dane".

I only just became aware of the various negative comments made in the above mentioned review.

I remember these two elderly American chaps very well and my first observation would be to note that they have neglected to include in this information, the fact that they were clearly quoted a rate for 1 month and a rate for 2 months. So when they checked-out after their 1 month stay, the rate went from Bt. 1,050.-/day (this is for a suite !), based on a 1 month stay, to Bt. 1,650.-/day, which is based on a 2 months stay, as included in their initial quote.
Secondly; they had breakfast & dinner in our very popular Renoir's Restaurant almost every day and thoroughly enjoyed it, or so they kept telling me.
They claim that I use 'abusive language' towards my staff ? ? That is utterly untrue and any regular guest here will tell you so.
But what really takes the cake, are the remarks about me taking them, in my own car, to a very reputable tailor, at the other side of Pattaya. The elderly lady owner drove them back & forth thereafter, since one of these chaps has a problem walking. I assure you that no commissions were exchanged. I also drove them to the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (in my own car) and everybody knows that there are no commissions paid there either !

Also; at the Flamingo Hotel*** we do not have any "run-down" rooms and I am utterly surprised why they suggest this.

I am not saying that we are perfect, or that everything at the Flamingo Hotel*** is perfect - but I do claim that we do our uttermost best to make our guests as comfortable as possible. We're on 24/7 standby in case of medical emergencies (as these two have experienced and no charge was made, whatsoever !). It's all part of the service we're happy to provide.

Funniest thing was, that at the time of their check-out, neither of these two chaps complained and or made any negative comments; which they shouldn't have, since everything was done in accordance with our previously agreed upon terms.

I shall chalk this one up to experience, but it does leave me with a slightly sour taste in my mouth, especially after bending over backwards to accommodate this couple.

GM
Flamingo Hotel***
Pattaya, Thailand

Travelers are raving about these Pattaya hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pattaya
Natural Beach Hotel
#377 of 441 in Pattaya
Imperial Pattaya Hotel
Imperial Pattaya Hotel
#65 of 441 in Pattaya

Been to Flamingo Hotel? Share your experiences!