“Very enjoyable, humbling visit.”

Elephant Village Pattaya
Ranked #17 of 138 things to do in Pattaya
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Today my husband, four grown up'ish kids and I spent a throughly enjoyable few hours at pattaya Elephant Village. Husband and I decided to let the kids do the elephant ride, whilst we stayed and waited in the village (we've done this before outside of Bangkok). They were all very quiet on their return, but in a good way, relaxed and so in awe of the beautiful elephants.
Whilst they were away, approx 1.5 hours, we fed some of the other elephants, wandered the village, took photos etc.
What you have to remember about the elephant village, is that is basically a sanctuary for old or sick elephants, victims of maltreatment etc, they are cared for well here and for those who have seriously suffered an ill fate it is a god send. We saw one 'new arrival' that was emaciated, but you know that in a few months with the care that she will receive at the village, she'll be looking as happy and healthy as all the others.
We felt so impressed with the dedication to the elephants by the staff, that we decided to make a donation, the staff were somewhat taken aback by this, it seems this doesn't happen often, which is a shame. We'd only been charged for the kids taking the ride, there was no cost to be a spectator.

5  Thank Karen R

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose the 3 hours "combination Trekking" experience hoping for a true Thai experience. The Elephants mostly walked on the road (after about 2 minutes in a pond for the sake of the photos). I was eaten alive by mosquitoes on the stagnant water "boat cruise" and then towed by some sad looking oxen in a cart. The "authentic Thai dinner" started with canned Chicken Noodle Soup, and was followed by equally mediocre food.

The staff was all very nice, though they try to charge you for anything they can along the way. 100 bhat for bananas for the elephants, 40 baht tip to the elephant driver, 60 baht for beer at dinner, 1000 baht for the DVD, 400 baht for a framed photo.

Basically - it's a mediocre tourist trap. I should have done my research first.

1  Thank Laura H
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Love it the staff was great and it was so of the most fun I had on my trip while I was in Pattaya. I really enjoyed it because it seemed like the elephants were treated nice and not abused.

3  Thank Dylan N
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Good for fun for children. Enjoyable for adults.
Well trained Travel to and fro, a little troublesome.
Hawkers could be a pain.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Good afternoon out. Staff were very friendly as were the elephants. Seemed to be kept in good conditions, plenty room to roam free. Enjoyed the added extra of learning about the silk looms.

1  Thank xLeaBellex