“good hotel but.....”

Welcome Plaza Hotel
Ranked #376 of 463 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed October 19, 2010

despite previous reviews we still stayed at this hotel. i found my room to be clean and comfortable. the bathroom has been completly refurbished but the rest of the furniture is outdated. the hotel has an excellent pool, but room service was poor. while we stayed there were large numbers of iranians in and around the pool.
my biggest gripe was when taking a lady back to the room i was charged an extra 300 bhatt? hadnt i allready paid for the room?
this hotel is proberly best suited to couples wishing to explore thailands amazing nightlife

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank potter1962

Reviewed September 16, 2010

I've stayed in this hotel many many times since 2002. It was OK until about 2006, then they started getting roaches. Once one of them fell from the ceiling onto my bed. Given the cheap price and excellent location, and my loyalty, I tolerated that. Last year however, I saw bed bugs in my bed. I panicked and changed room and I believed it would be OK. Just last week, I went back, and thought, I have to thoroghly inspect the bed first. I did, and saw no bed bugs. First night went fine. Second night, when I woke up, on my pillow, there was a bed bug. When I popped it blood came out confirming it was a bed bug. I opened the sheet, and it was full of bed bugs on the mattress. I guess they came out from inside the mattress, when there is body heat on it. I talked with the maid, she said every single room and every single bed is infected with bed bugs. Which makes sense because, once you have bed bugs in one room it spreads like wildfire. So, this was the end of my loyalty to this hotel after 8 years. I would never ever stay there again even if they paid me. Unless you want to bring home some bed bugs which love to hicth hike, STAY AWAY from this hotel. If you read positive reviews on this hotel, that's because people who stayed here, didn't noticed the bed bugs and they were just fascinated with the price and location. Go find another hotel. I must warn you though, most hotels do have bed bugs in Pattaya. One way to tell is when you inspect the bed, if you see tiny spots of blood on the bed sheets, that means they have bed bugs. I ended up going to Best Western which was pretty clean for slightly more money. It is definitely worth it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank tworld123
Reviewed September 13, 2010

been staying here for 7 yrs with friends and also with family two teenage boys
came back this year to become very dissapointed. Whilst never having any complaints
in the past got allocated a room facing the pool, very nice till about 3 o,clock in the
morning where behind the hotel a thai bar has opened blasting out music till 6 in the
morning. Complained to the staff but nothing could be done put up with no sleep for about 4 days and decided to check out. Got a full refund and found a lovely new hotel on soi diane
only 6 months old. So i will not be returning to welcome plaza in the future shop around you would be amazed what you find when you do.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank asdajoe1
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Ideal location just 5 minutes from Walking Street. No hassle ckecking in with friends, No extra charges Would not recommend rooms floor 1-5. Rooms above 5.floor are cockroach free, very clean and attentive room service. Attentive breakfast Service. But Reception Service is definetely not Thai style. Very unfriendly, not even greeting when guests approach the reception. Reception staff is very busy playing computer games day and night. They mix up safety boxes when 2 or more guests come to the reception.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2010

First room we were allocated had a view facing a wall. When we inspected the bed sheet it had a large sperm patch in the center which was covered with pubic hairs. We informed the receptionist and demanded a full refund as we had only just checked in. The receptionist refused a refund and sent a maid to inspect the bed. When the maid removed the soiled sheets it exposed a large blood patch on the mattress. We were still refused a refund and were allocated another room. I have stayed in hotels across Thailand over the last 23 years and must state this is one of the scruffiest hotels and worst service I have ever encountered.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to someone you dislike!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eddie0711
Reviewed April 7, 2010

Service in reception was good and friendly, nothing extraordinary.

I've had two different rooms in the hotel, and the bigger one I felt to spacious and really a waste of money. Although moving rooms was kind of mu own fault (didn't know for how long I was going to stay), I'd still have preferred cheaper and smaller room.

Rooms were clean and AC worked (but was only four-stage adjustable).

Location is great. Only short walk to Walking Street, and bahtbuses running the Second Road just outside hotel, so grabbing one is an easy task.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I started staying at The Welcome Plaza back in 2000..My good friend brought me there on my first trip to Thailand and Pattaya.It's an impressive building from the exterior and the lobby is quite grand..The pool area is very nice..The hotel's location is excellent..Five minutes walk to the beach and Walking Street..Everything seems to be in it's favour..And it was..Back in the day the staff were very friendly,the rooms were clean and spacious..Each room having a balcony overlooking the pool or Pattaya City..The bathroom's were 100% functional......Ahhh those were the days..My last visit to The Welcome Plaza was last year and I can honestly say that hotel has changed 180 degrees from only a few short years ago..The building looks the same on the outside but it's falling apart on the inside..The staff are disinterested and you're now surcharged to death..A surcharge for a guest and a surcharge for tickets to hotels events that are considered mandatory..Frequent harrassment about current room charges..The aircon in my 5 floor room barely worked..The bathroom was falling apart and the toilet wouldn't flush..Sad really..I had to change rooms but found the next offering not much better......I had stayed in this hotel on more than a few occasions in the past and was hardly being treated as a loyal customer..The room rates have risen 30%....I used to consider this place "the best value" in Pattaya..No longer..I'm movin on..

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends