“Good hotel for the price paid”

Rome Boutique Hotel & Spa
Ranked #313 of 447 Hotels in Pattaya
Bengaluru, India
“Good hotel for the price paid”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Got the hotel for very cheap - approx 600THB/night for a deluxe room with included breakfast in August 2013.

The good points -
1. On the Baht bus route when you come from Suvaranabhoomi Airport bus
2. Cheap compared to other hotels in the vicinity and came with breakfast
3. In a quiet area
4. Very good sized rooms, the furniture/upholstery in the room was absolutely top notch

The negatives -
1. Did not find the decor to my taste, I mean I was expecting the bathroom to be tiled but it had only concrete/plastered walls.
2. Wash basin in the bedroom was a little wierd
3. Not exactly 5 minutes to the walking street, it's more like 12-15 mins walk to WS if you are not taking a baht bus

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rohits21

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Chessington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A nice design hotel, with friendly and helpfull staff, small pool, near to restaurents 5 minuites to walking street, 5 minuites to pratamnak hill and beach, delux room was nice, depending how you feel about a gay friendly hotel, I stayed with my girlfriend and we had a good 5 day stay, would recomend hotel for couples, food not bad, but not good, plenty of better restaurents heading towards jomtien beach, would stay again.

Room Tip: The delux room was nice, view of a water feature or garden.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grant D
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My room had MANY mosquitoes in it when I checked in, so even though i was hot and tired, I waited in the hot courtyard for 30 minutes while they sprayed.

Once I returned to my room, within 10 minutes there were new mosquitoes in the room.

I went down and reported this the desk and got a lecture on keeping the windows and doors closed. It was 90+ F (33+C) that day, so this was just silly. Before bedtime I asked again about spraying and the guy at the desk laughed when I told him there were many mosquitoes in the room. (On his behalf, while this is unacceptable by western standard, I read that for Thai people this can reflect embarrassment.)

So my first night was spent swatting mosquitoes buzzing in my ears.

When I woke up the next morning, while sitting on the bed checking emails, I swatted and killed any mosquito passersby I could reach without getting up. (See photo.)

When I showed the photo to the front desk, they were properly appalled and went up with the cleaning lady to spray again. Unfortunately, the insects are getting into the room somehow and my second night was spent swatting mosquitoes.

I should have insisted on changing rooms the first night, but I thought spraying would help and then later I was too hot and tired to be bothered.

On the plus side, the staff was very friendly, the breakfast perfectly adequate, and other meals quite good with a nice price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Tim H

Travelers are raving about these Pattaya hotels

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Nice hotel in Pattaya, more or less in a quiet area... just 10 min walk from the crazy Walking street so it is not so bad.

Staff is very friendly and they help on what ever you need.

Unfortunately during our stay the hotel internet was not working, that was something that was not so good....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hampshire
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Booked using Ebookers mobile app while in Bangkok as the price was discounted on a two night stay. Drove down and on arrival reception were not expecting us (not unusal I find and just shown them the booking e mail).
On street parking which was OK. Quite a querky Hotel, themed on Rome.
I did start to panic when driving down thinking it might be a gay hotel after reading on there web site "served by men for men".
Not sure how my Thai GF would have taken that! Anyway is was not busy. The room was clean and smart looking. Air con was OK. TV, comp water and wifi all there. Shower was big enough for both of us and we were tempted to have a little adult fun taking a shower but the shower was cold. Fine for my Thai GF but not so much fun for me!
Did not use bar, pool or breakfast.
Reception were helpful and door opened for us when leaving the premises each time.
I expect this place can be a lot of fun when busy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is probably the best hotel, The hotel staff was real nice, The bar was good, The pool was good. Not far from walking street and beach, The food was awesome, Lots of restaurants and bars nearby. Will definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Take room upstairs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gothic_coder
Brighton
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There has been a lot of misleading information and inaccurate reviews on this hotel.
1) Although described as a gay hotel the receptionist was a young lady with limited English and a not particularly welcoming manner. The review by Chgoswatcher is absolutely right.
2) The staff are not well trained. For example we asked the receptionist on our first morning for towels to take to the beach. He said we could take our room towels - not very hygenic. Eventually one of the breakfast staff (who were gay) said we could take pool towels.
3) Without warning they had stopped the free mini-bar and the all day breakfast (although the finishing time of 12 noon was not bad).
4) The pool did not appear to be clean, and it is very small.
5) Our room's shower did not have a curtain so that water went all over the floor. There was no drain in the floor area. We eventually got one fitted during our first full day.
6) There were persistent problems with mosquitos. We had to ask for mosquito spray every evening. They seemed to have only one can and it ran out on our last evening.

The descriptions give the impression that this is a small hotel with 5 star facilities. This used to be the Ikon hotel and has been given a makeover but the finish is not to a high standard and attention to detail is lacking. For example there were no reading lamps by the bed and there was no way of switching off the main light without getting out of bed. The room looked impressive in the photos but is actually rather plain and lacking atmosphere because it is painted entirely in white. Furnishings are not of high quality throughout the hotel. Breakfast was adequate but no more. Our room (on the ground floor) had a damp smell.

We had a good rate through hotels.com which made it appear to be good value, but the problems made our stay less than satisfactory.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple