“Life saver”

Richman Poorman Guesthouse
Ranked #75 of 587 Pattaya B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been going to Richman Poorman for years and to my shame have never submitted a review. I popped in for Thanksgiving lunch and thanks is what I have been saying ever since. For no apparent reason, after finishing my very tasty lunch, I had something like an epileptic fit. No history of it myself nor in my family. I was getting ready to leave and had I done so a few minutes before I may not be here now. The owner Eddie and another diner swung into action and assisted me, ( I was unconscious and completely unaware ), for some thirty minutes whilst waiting for the Ambulance to fight its way through terrible traffic to get to us. Among the owners many talents, chef, mine Host, confident and sometime golf pro is clearly medic as well, who knew! I have had better times in Richman Poorman and the food ambience and welcome are always first class. I am very glad I chose to spend thanksgiving as a guest at this establishment with its multi talented staff and guests. Sincerely, thank you all. So now, not only can you be assured of a great time at Richman Poorman but I can now say with confidence there is no better place to be sick either!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank UKVictor

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This guest house is right next to the beach. My room is only Standard Deluxe but it has big window to the sea. Room's decoration is quite simple but it's nice and very clean. The staff are friendly, they always welcome you with a smile even it's 2 am. They also provide great information about activities and services in Pattaya such as boat's schedule to Koh Larn island, Tiffany show, restaurant and massage. I will recommend this guesthouse to other friends.

Room Tip: Room 31 can view the beach
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2013

...mess! Of the 13 'excellent' and 'very good' reviews I can't believe no one thought to mention the state of disrepair - a half foot of mold growing up one wall, huge cracks in another wall, holes in the celling - everywhere you look, an eyesore. There was black mold in the bathroom and holes in the dingy sheets. I can't believe they had the nerve to rent this room out and charge a high price for it, too. Shameful! The 'cons' are so large there's no point in mentioning the 'pros'. Besides, they're grossly over stated in the other reviews.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank L0vejones
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Richman Poorman is a nice place to stay and to eat. Right across from the Jomtien Beach it is a hop, skip and a jump to your lounge chair on the sand. Good American foods. The rooms are clean and tidy with Air con and fan, with hot water showers. Priced right and good location. I've stayed there a few times when in Jomtien. - Mike from Boston

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mikewaen
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Good food, spacious room with good air con and fans and hot shower. Lots of TV channels to choose from. Rooms cleaned daily.

Bar/ restaurant can be noisy and language adult so probably not best for families with children.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MoragFlett
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife, friends and I had the opportunity to visit Rich Man Poor Man again this week. We enjoyed five meals during our two day visit. As always, food was exceptional.
We tried a variety af meals and snacks to include steak dinner, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken fried steak, quesadillas and lasagna. The terrific and amiable host provided complementary snacks like onion rings, jalapeno poppers, gyoza etc. The desserts are delicious, also. The pecan pie was 1st rate. As noted by many other reviewers - breakfasts are sumptuous.
All sports are available to watch on the big screen TV's.
Highly recommended.
Bear

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Isaanbruin
Reviewed December 27, 2012

... to those earlier reviews!

Richman Poorman was recommended by friends who live locally as a place for breakfast. Our first visit was to book for Christmas dinner the next day. Immediately we approached the bar, Eddy offered his help, went through the menu with us and booked our table. The turkey dinner was huge and delicious. The service and hospitality was second to none. The attention offered by the several staff was perfect and a refreshing change from that at the resort at which we were staying.

Our big mistake was not to have breakfast there from our very first day in Jomtien. We put that right and the reviews here of the comprehensive menu are accurate!

Eddy went out of his way each time we called in to welcome us and give us a few minutes of his busy time. He's a great host and sets the atmosphere and standards for the whole place.

I can't comment on the accommodation but we plan to book a room the next tine we visit Jomtien. The bar/restaurant is a must and the location just off Beach Road is ideal. A nice touch is that, although only Western food is on the menu, Thai food can be ordered and is brought in from the restaurant across the soi,

Thank you Eddy, your wife and your staff for making us so welcome and for the great food. We'll be back! We'd be denying ourselves a big part of the pleasure of being in Jomtien if we didn't.

Room Tip: I wish that I could comment on the rooms. Perhaps next time when we have stayed there. In the meanti...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple