Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife, friends and I had the opportunity to visit Rich Man Poor Man again this week. We enjoyed five meals during our two day visit. As always, food was exceptional.
We tried a variety af meals and snacks to include steak dinner, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken fried steak, quesadillas and lasagna. The terrific and amiable host provided complementary snacks like onion rings, jalapeno poppers, gyoza etc. The desserts are delicious, also. The pecan pie was 1st rate. As noted by many other reviewers - breakfasts are sumptuous.
All sports are available to watch on the big screen TV's.
Highly recommended.
Bear

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Isaanbruin
Reviewed December 27, 2012

... to those earlier reviews!

Richman Poorman was recommended by friends who live locally as a place for breakfast. Our first visit was to book for Christmas dinner the next day. Immediately we approached the bar, Eddy offered his help, went through the menu with us and booked our table. The turkey dinner was huge and delicious. The service and hospitality was second to none. The attention offered by the several staff was perfect and a refreshing change from that at the resort at which we were staying.

Our big mistake was not to have breakfast there from our very first day in Jomtien. We put that right and the reviews here of the comprehensive menu are accurate!

Eddy went out of his way each time we called in to welcome us and give us a few minutes of his busy time. He's a great host and sets the atmosphere and standards for the whole place.

I can't comment on the accommodation but we plan to book a room the next tine we visit Jomtien. The bar/restaurant is a must and the location just off Beach Road is ideal. A nice touch is that, although only Western food is on the menu, Thai food can be ordered and is brought in from the restaurant across the soi,

Thank you Eddy, your wife and your staff for making us so welcome and for the great food. We'll be back! We'd be denying ourselves a big part of the pleasure of being in Jomtien if we didn't.

Room tip: I wish that I could comment on the rooms. Perhaps next time when we have stayed there. In the meantime, I'm willing to accept the comments of others who have stayed.
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank StuAlan
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was given a gift certificate for a stay here many years ago by a friend, and decided to accept the two week free stay and was sold immediately. I have been back twice yearly since for my annual Thai golf vacations and also stay when I'm passing through and overnight on my way to Koh Samui. Richman-Poorman (RMPM) is a family owned concern with the owners (Eddie and Ae) who stay right on the premises. Eddie is a long timer in the hospitality business and really has the staff trained right as some customer services in Thailand can be a little frustrating at times. The rooms are clean and quiet but sometime there is some extraneous noise, but getting a good nights sleep is the norm. Eddie's culinary skills are passed along the the expertly training Thai Staff who do excellent renditions of western breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Notable special breakfasts are the Richman Bagel with Salmon Lox or the Eggs Benedict. Lots of homemade soups and wonderful sandwiches fill out the lunch menu and dinner has everything from homemade pizza to fresh Chicken Parmesan. Wednesdays and Saturdays are Grill Nights were you can get specials like a fresh and immense pork chop for less than ten bucks US with a salad. Mondays and Tuesdays are a 3 course special with a soup or salad, entree and dessert for 250 Baht. Fridays is a free buffet with a 200 Baht Bar tab per person. Note - Eddie only serves western food but there is a Thai restaurant across the Spoi and you can't swing a golf club without hitting a Thai Kitchen. Breakfast starts at 7 or sooner if there is a golf outing, and dinner runs until 10 I think.

Eddie organizes Golf outings several days a week with his best trip of the week to Khao Kheow (an exceptional Pete Dye course with similar Island Green like TPC Sawgrass) Mondays, and several other venues such as Green Valley currently Wednesdays, and the very fun and economical Navy Course on Thursdays.

Ratings and Rationale:

Service - Fantastic and very personalized. Just make sure your server really understands your order because their English is passable but not always perfect. They do try hard and are the most accommodating staff I know of on the mainland.

Value - I'd give more than 5 stars if I could...... You pay about half the price here than something in Pattaya and you are only a baht bus ride away (maybe 20 minutes or so) if you want to go down town. If you want to get out and about outside of Pattaya, you are not caught in the snarl of Thai Traffic.

Sleep Quality - The Beds are not rock hard like many Asian Hotels and you can get extra pillows beyond the several in the bed and extra in the closet if you ask.

Cleanliness - Very well maintained eating and living areas. I've stayed in hotels in Thailand were it was the "Maid's day off" and you fended for yourself for towels and whatnot...... None of that here.

Location - Excellent - right on Beach Road in Jomtien, Walk across the street and you are on the sand and beach. The Baht buses run into Pattaya if you want to go down town, just make sure they are going to 2nd road, not turning at Thep Preset....... A baht bus run is 10 Baht or about 33 cents each way. There are also mini marts and 7-elevens and other restaurants in easy walking or baht bus range. You can also rent motorbikes to get around if you want to venture further but remember to ride with caution and you possibly drive on the other side of the road than where you are from. Be careful......

Rooms - They vary from Beach view to non beach view (and are priced accordingly), but are dark and quiet. Cleaned daily by a very competent and trustworthy staff. Each room has a programmable digital safe and a refrigerator with mini-bar items with room for anything you want to toss in like left overs or whatever. You can pay twice as much for a comparable room in Pattaya, but you really can't beat the value of RMPM and you also might have a Go-Go Bar or Karaoke Bar making noise until all hours of the morning.

Swimming Pool - They don't have one, but Jomtien Beach is right across the street,

Fitness Center is the beach, walking trail on it, and all of the fabulous golf available.

All in all - a great to exceptional value for the money, and more importantly when you have limited time for a holiday, a can't miss experience if you want it done right and to get treated right. A high recommend in my book as evidenced by my twice annual returns as I'm a fan of the RMPM.

Cheers and Safe Travels - The Pizzelleman

Room tip: Contact the owner Eddie directly via email or his cell (Thailand 0879757914, or International +66 879757914). You either have Beach front (Beach Road) or Soi 9, which is a pretty quiet Soi in Jomtien.
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
5  Thank Pizzelleman
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I came across the RMPM because of a recommendation from a friend. We had booked rooms in another local and were very unhappy there. He suggested we try going to Soi 9 in Jom Tien. We are very happy we did.
For starters when you open the door the staff actually says hello and asks what you need. We asked to see a room. Immediately we were taken to a couple of different rooms. THey were all large, clean and well kept. We chose the balcony room with a sea view. For the price ( about $35 ) it was steal. After our last place we only booked for one night.
That day we went across the street to the beach and had a great time. That night we ate dinner in the guesthouse restaurant. My girlfriend had a Pork Chop that was just to die for. It was big ( menu said 360 grams ), its was juicy and cooked to perfections. Traveling around as much as I do I couldn't resist the Rueben Sandwich. Again, just as you would expect to be served in the States.
That night the rooms was quiet, the air con was exquisite after a hot day on the beach. Woke up hot shower and down stairs for breakfast.
Make no mistake, you cannot miss breakfast. This is an American Diner. I had eggs benedict. Holy cow was it good. My girl had a beutifully made omelet.
The thing we noticed about this place ios there was always someone in the place eating. When we checked in-- people were eating -- came back from beach -- people eating. It is filled with the locals.
After breakfast it was a no brainer. We cheched in for the remainder of our stay ( 7 Nights ). We went to other restaurants to eat ( in fact the owner was very helpful in finding seafood and thai places worth going to ) But ate at least once a day in the guesthouse.
We discovered the owner was a trained chef in the States for many years. He taught the staff well. Beyond being a great staff they are alot of fun. half the staff speak very good English. It makes ordering and taking care of daily questions that much easier. The breakfast cook actually moonlights and does guests laundry at night.
I am coming back to Thailand in March and have already booked my room. What else can I say!!!

Room tip: Any of the sea view rooms
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank James M
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed at RP for almost a week with our two kids and everything was perfect. First, the warm welcome by the owner who was waiting for us and helped us settling in nicely with the kids, offering to stack our (big) pushchair in the restaurant and to keep watch over it. Although we were the only customers with kids, we never felt like we were bearing on anyone's nerves (and our kids even got on our nerves sometimes ;) and were always provided with help and good advice as to where to go for good seafood, ,nice sightseeing... All the staff is over friendly and helpful there. We even got upgraded to nicer rooms than the ones we had booked for the second part of our stay, without even having asked for it.
The location is also good. Pattaya with kids isn't the nicest of places (even without, if you ask me) but Jomtien beach is probably the best choice, and the guest house is located right in front of the beach so that you literally just have to cross the street to reach the sea.
Then there were the rooms, two big balcony seaview ones, nice, clean, airy and comfortable. And last but not least, the food... We don't come to Thailand to have Western food as a rule, but leaving without trying the breakfast (my, that French toast with cinnamon and maple syrup..) or the chicken breast club sandwich with a cherry cheese pie for dessert would be a sin.

Date of stay: November 2012