“Just like mother used to cook (I wish)”
Review of Cafe Ritz

Cafe Ritz
Ranked #357 of 1,013 Restaurants in Pattaya
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Well known local restaurant featuring three course dinner at fixed price with great choice of starter, main course and sweet. British/European dishes only. Popular with local 'gay' population
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This restaurant in the Jomptien complex could be easily missed as it has a narrow frontage between other establishments which offer more carnal delights.
One of the very efficient and friendly waiting staff told us it is owned by an Englishman. I don't know if this is true but the menu is chockablock with traditional English dishes. We visited twice as we enjoyed it so much the first time.
The portions are huge and most people I suspect would be hard pressed to manage three courses. We tried the steak and kidney pie, and also the steak, kidney and mushroom pie, both of which were excellent (with suet, not shortcrust pastry) - large chunks of meat and kidneys in very tasty pie sauce, and a selection of fresh vegetables. You can have liver and bacon or liver and onions. I had the latter. Very large portions of of liver, beautifully cooked and with a good strong flavour. Lamb cutlets were excellent . The apple and rhubarb crumble with a choice of cream or ice cream ( no custard unfortunately ) was well liked.
We've had less satisfactory traditional English grub in most English establishments where we've had this sort of food, and would love something like this in Central London. We wish we had found the Cafe Ritz sooner so we could have tried more of their dishes.
The carafe wine was ok for the price.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Eaten here twice and had the roast lamb both times. Roast dinner comes with side potion of mixed vegetables and mint sauce/apple sauce depending on what you have. Nice gravy - a rarity abroad! The Yorkshire pudding the first time was really quite good but the second time it was inedible - like thick pie dough! But you've got to admire them trying! That was the only thing about the food quality that was not so good. The quality of the lamb was excellent.

My friends had the mixed roast (pork, chicken, lamb) and Salmon in white wine sauce, both of which were also very nice. Portion size is very good for the quality & price.(300thb or just under £6 GBP)

One downside was the vegetables came out too soon before the meat so were a little cold by the time everything was served. I think this was also caused by the air con being set very cold.

Wine was well priced and reasonable drinking quality. We order the carafe as it worked out a good price.

Overall this is a simple menu, well priced, clean and friendly place.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I ate here most of my time on holidays. They do a wonderful set menu (3 courses) for 355 baht. Add a small carafe of red wine and it still only amounts to around 12 or 13 euros. The set menu has a large variety of options for all courses. You certainly won't be hungry leaving, plenty of meat, veg, etc. The restaurant is small and very busy so I recommend you either book ahead or go off-peak i.e. 6.30pm and 9.15 pm. The service can be a little slow but that is only because they are busy and it's not a place you should be rushing to get in and out of anyway. Not matter how busy they are, once you have your table, you won't feel rushed in order to facilitate new customers. I really liked this place. And it's indoors with air conditioning.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My friend and I ate here and the service was indifferent and the food very poor. I had the sole and it was leathery (I suspect reheated from lunch). The vegetables were ok but the whole meal was rather "slapped on the table". The staff seemed indifferent when I complained.

I have eaten here before (a year or so ago) and it was much better then.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We live locally and first visited Ritz last xmas day, upon many recommendations...a risky thing to do for xmas day dinner !!! We were not disappointed, at all ! Couldn't find one thing to complain about...total value for money that day as wine was included in the price. We have been several times since and are booking this week for xmas day dinner again !