“Beyond excellent”

Royal Wing Suites & Spa
Ranked #1 of 456 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have stayed many times in this hotel. The reason I return time and time again is based on one simple thing. This hotel never fails to deliver a service of excellence. Although Pattaya has deteriorated shockingly, the Royal Wing suites improves year on year and remains the best value for money in the luxury category anywhere in South East Asia. I will continue to return here because I am certain of the service I will receive.

Respect for the customer is the core value that drives the staff. It is a property that takes on board the views of its guests and strives to meet constantly changing needs and demands. The staff always maintain a respectful distance, are unobtrusive whilst at the same time are present if needed. I spent 12 nights there (first time in high season). Yes one or two small issues especially with unruly children allowed to dominate the pool area ,outside of that, all requests like a change of room, a late, sometimes very late breakfast was never a problem.as always I left here renewed refreshed and satisfied in a way that I can never be certain to feel after staying in another hotel. For that reason I will continue to return. Customer loyalty was won long long ago.

I would like to use this opportunity to thank the resident manager Klaus Bodo Hund and his assistant Chaiyanan for their absolute courtesy and attention to detail. I would highly recommend the grill room as a unique dining experience,again the resident manager at this restaurant knows his guests and the food is also excellent. One suggestion here is that as a matter of policy parents with young children should be asked to show respect for other guests. Unruly children (or rather inconsiderate parents of same) have no place at what is Pattaya's oldest fine dining establishment.
For your information the bed I had, and always have had no matter what the room,was comfortable and I always slept well.

I had not intended reviewing the hotel on this occasion but having just read a recent very negative posting just wanted to reiterate that the royal wing suites and spa is probably one of the best properties anywhere in the world in which I have stayed. It truly is a home from home. See you soon

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank paul026
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review to other travelers. We really appreciate you sticking up for us and for your continued loyalty towards Royal Wing.

I was delighted to hear we never fail to deliver a service of excellent and that your stay was flawless. Furthermore, it was lovely to read that your bed was comfortable. We hope you liked our pillow menu.

We were delighted as well to learn that we would be your first choice as loyal customer when visiting the “Land of Smiles” . Thank you for choosing Royal Wing Suites & Spa - the team and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We are just finishing yet another 2 week holiday at this hotel and as before it has fulfilled our expectations. We wonder whether a previous reviewer of yours, Andrew W. of Gerrards Cross was staying at the same hotel !! The staff are exemplary, the food great, the suites lacking for nothing, and it is indeed like coming to a "home from home". One is welcomed in a wonderful manner, and as returning guests it is fabulous that one is remembered from the previous year's visit, and this is by all whether they work in the reception, the dining area, or around the pool. Nothing is too much for the staff and there is always a smile. It is undoubtedly appreciated by the staff when one treats them nicely and speaks to them in a friendly manner. We have reviewed this hotel in the past and cannot really increase our praise beyond our previous review a year ago.

Anne and David Silverman, Netanya, Israel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hihosilv
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your experience at Royal Wing Suites & Spa.

I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our hotel facilities and our warm Thai hospitality.

We are proud of our service and our diverse restaurant offerings giving you the opportunity to try new cuisine every day - we are very happy to hear you enjoyed this part of your stay as well.

Again, we are glad that you enjoyed our Ultimate Luxury hospitality and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I went to Pattaya for a conference and we chose Royal Cliff hotel for our stay. It is a huge property with different wings. I stayed at the royal wing suites and spa. The check in was speedy and welcome was also good. We were taken to the room. I observed a couple of mosquitoes inside the room, so I thought to call at the reception and tell the same. As soon as I lifted the receiver, I realised that the phone line is not working. I had to go right to the reception to place my complaint. Soon the engineers came and corrected the phone. Also mosquito repellent was sent to my room. The room service is quite good and prompt. We ordered for a pizza which was promptly delivered and was very tasty. Overall the rooms are big and spacious, bathrooms are also clean and average sized.
Also another problem I faced is its location. It is not located at a place which is bang on at the tourist attraction sites. However the hotel offered shuttle services with 2 - 3 drop off points which was useful, but we were time bound by that.
The pool was clean and offered an amazing view. The spa is moderately priced and the spa services are very relaxing and professional.
Overall the services are average. For my next visit I would prefer a hotel which has more options to commute to tourist attraction sites and is in proximity to these sites.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank bhuvan

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your comments. Your feedback is most valuable to us and of great encouragement to improve our services. We appreciate your compliments about how quickly we rectify the problem you faced, the delicious room service, the spacious suite and the beautiful pool.

At the Royal Wing Suites & Spa we aim to be a luxury boutique hotel that offers the most serene experience. It is our wish that every guest staying with us can be totally relax in the most peaceful environment. Our location is our unique advantage as we are only 5 minutes from city centre and yet we are far enough to give every guest a tranquil experience.

We are saddened to hear that you will not choose us again as we will be developing more interesting activities and facilities around the resort. We have also just signed a partnership with a bus tour operator company. This is to offer guests another transportation service to take them to downtown area and other popular tourist attractions at a very attractive price. With this new partnership I hope you will consider us for your next visit. This company also provides customize services so you can use them to drop you off at certain attractions in Pattaya area.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Having visited Thailand previously 5 or 6 times and stayed in 5 Star Hotels this was my first visit to Pattaya and to the Royal Wing Suites & Spa described by the owners as 'Ultimate Luxury'. Well I'm sorry but from the minute I arrived, this hotel summarily failed to deliver on it's promises.
I booked with ITC Classics and paid an extra £400 to have an additional bed placed in my suite, which wasn't there when I arrived.I should have known things were amiss when on arrival my taxi had to re - route due to 4 wild dogs sleeping in the entranceway. It did actually take two days to unravel the bed issue, and for it to be included in my room .This after I was told the Royal Wing don't place extra beds in their Suites. The Hotel Resident Manager Mr Klaus Bodo Hund from Germany met with me to discuss my various issues 2nd day, and single handedly managed to ruin my 9 night break with his arrogance, lack of understanding, petulance, attitude and aggression. This was shown throughout the trip. He was in my opinion, quite destructive with his behaviour. The disappointment began when we got there when the room we were allocated ( minus the extra bed) had a massive view blocking lift structure to the left, so I complained and the room was changed ( 2am ) The beds were very uncomfortable, like something from a school dormitory.The duvet cover was 'bobbly' and paper thin. Things carried on at breakfast when our table on the 2nd day was allocated to someone between the time we'd been given it and picking up our starters, my tea took 10 minutes to get a second cup and quite a few of the staff couldn't speak English which made it difficult to communicate. Dinner at the Thai restaurant proved a hit and miss. We were sat with three other tables in a large dining area, begging the question why there weren't more people ? My Chicken Massaman main course came with chicken bone & gristle and very un-appetising meat, explained by the Maitre De as 'how this dish is served at the Royal Cliff.'
I was so disappointed thus far, I asked to meet with one of the family members who own the Royal Cliff Mr Vitanart Vathanakul to explain my feelings. Educated at Cambridge England, ( as he explained to me) Mr Vathanakul listened, taking copious notes, not disagreeing with anything I said. He did at one point accuse me of 'bullying' when I told him I expected more than an invitation to the hotel BBQ as his guest to as a gesture of goodwill. This after he'd taken more than an hour of my time explaining where I believed this 5 Star Hotel was failing versus the competition.
I gave up in the end... got through my nine nights and realised how bad this hotel experience had been. I couldn't wait to leave and the Royal Wing Suites did nothing to enhance my experience of Thailand. One good thing ... the dogs had moved from the exit road on the way out .........

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
12  Thank AndrewW956
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Regarding your review, we would like to inform you that we have tried our utmost to fulfill all your requests immediately and we are sorry to hear that you were still unsatisfied. We were sad that you did not take up on our offer of complimentary Grand BBQ International buffet for 2. It is with regret that we cannot offer you free dinners every night and a free limousine service to wherever you want to go for your entire stay as a compensation.

Your comments are valuable for us to improve our service and it is already shared amongst our team.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had another great stay in the Royal Wing Suites. We have stayed here for the last 7 or 8 years. Arrived mid afternoon and were warmly greeted by the Resident Manager Klaus and some of his wonderful staff. Great reception ! Really makes you feel relaxed and welcome. The Royal Wing has been renovated again just recently and we did not think it could be improved, but it has been! Stunning and luxurious outside and in! Our room 0406 is even more luxurious and comfortable. Attention to the smallest detail as always. My wife Anne Marie uses a wheelchair and the room is very suitable. She needs a plastic chair in the shower and it there on arrival without asking. The entire Resort is accessible for wheelchairs right down to the beach at Breezeo Restaurant .It's a wee bit steep at the Royal Wing but assistance is always there if you want it to go along the front. There are about 12 restaurants and bars, all types of cuisine cocktails and exquisite wines and prices are reasonable. The new General Manager Antonello came introduce himself to us the first time we went over the Royal Cliff Hotel very nice touch! The only other hotel we have stayed in with this level of personal attention from top management to bottom was The St Regis Hotel, Taglin Road, Singapore! I could write all day praising all aspects of the Resort! My last comments are directed to Chaiyanan.B, Relations Manager. He should get an award for his attention to detail, his warmth of character and abundance of personality Thank you and Everyone else for great holiday break and we look forward to our return!!

Room Tip: Royal Wing Suites are superb but so are the rooms in the other three hotels in the resort. Only ther...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neosarcoph
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

As Pattaya’s Ultimate Luxury hotel we try our best to provide you with outstanding service. We are so happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your time at Royal Wing Suites & Spa. We truly appreciate your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you for another 'great holiday experience'!

It was a pleasure to have you both as our guests.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family (2 adults and 2 teenagers) stayed for four nights, just before Christmas 2013, in 2 of the Royal Wing Suites. It is a perfect place to relax. Klaus, the Resident Manager, is always around; he was there to welcome us at checkin, and he was there as we checked out, and many times in between. The rooms are very pleasantly appointed; the rain shower was the best I have experienced in 30+ years of travelling the world in luxury hotels. Wonderful, individually prepared, breakfasts in the dining room overlooking the Suites pool; perfect Eggs Benedict and Welsh Rarebit, properly seasoned as you would find in a 5star British hotel! The staff in the Royal Wing see their role as a vocation, rather than a job; they all spoke good English.

Overall, excellent!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for having chosen Royal Wing Suites & Spa as the hotel of choice for your recent stay, and for taking time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Our staff are very happy to serve our customer especially well mannered customers like yourself. We really appreciate this sentiment from a valued guest and glad that you enjoyed our wonderful, individually prepared, breakfasts in the dining room overlooking the Suites pool; perfect Eggs Benedict and Welsh Rarebit, properly seasoned as you would find in a 5 star British hotel .

Your detailed comments are warmly welcomed and we appreciate you have shared your experience with other travelers.

I have taken the liberty to pass on these compliments to the entire team. They were overjoyed to learn that their work is being appreciated. May I take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for 2014 and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Pattaya.

Royal Wing Suites & Spa

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Our family of four is nearing the end of our week at the Royal Wing Suites and Spa - hands down the BEST hotel we have ever stayed at in terms of service, hospitality and comfort.

Let's start at the beginning...upon arrival from Bangkok, we were checked in efficiently and kindly by a number of reception staff who were already fully briefed about emails I had sent in advance. Our request for two suites next to each other on a high floor was accommodated without question, and the staff was ready with information about the cooking class I had inquired about, as well as providers of scuba diving lessons in the vicinity. Everything was managed seamlessly in the spacious lobby while enjoying a stunning view of the ocean as well as a complimentary coconut drink.

We were then taken to our suites, which were spotlessly clean and spacious, including complimentary fruit platters and home made chocolate treats ready to be enjoyed. Fresh flowers decorated the sitting room table, and the complimentary minibar was stocked with juices, water and pop (it was also restocked on a daily basis, as were the fruit platters and chocolate treats). We had booked two of their one bedroom suites, which consist of a large combined bedroom/living room cleverly designed with a swiveling TV unit and sliding doors as separators. The suites also have two balconies - one with two sun loungers, and the other with a couple of chairs and a table. The living room includes a comfortable sofa and chair, as well as a work station where you can connect via cable to a high speed internet (complimentary, as is the wifi throughout the hotel), generous closet space, safe, music system, etc. The bathroom is oversized, with a huge, oval jacuzzi tub, a lovely, marble tiled rain shower with super pressure, make up table, etc. Bottles of water and toiletries are provided and supplemented daily.

The view of the fantastic pool and ocean is unbeatable, and should be equally as good regardless of room and floor.

Housekeeping was fantastic throughout our stay. We initially found the mattress to be a bit hard, and staff promptly organized extra mattress toppers and blankets. When my sons found a lizard in their room and decided they absolutely could not sleep without it gone, the staff came by at 11 pm ready to track it down and remove it from the room. All done with a smile (though I am sure they probably wondered what the fuss was all about...). The nightly turn down service was equally fabulous, with a treat and tomorrow's weather forecast conveniently left on our pillow. Amazing!

After having settled into our room on our first day, we decided to hit the pool deck, and again we were impressed with the service we encountered. The pool staff was ready to set up our loungers wherever we wanted, and informed us that the loungers would be ours for the duration of our stay (unless we expressed a desire to move elsewhere on the grounds). And indeed, each morning thereafter, we were met by the fabulous pool staff who had already set up our loungers with towels and tables, and even had personalized signs made for each lounger, with our name and the duration of our stay. The pool staff continued to provide excellent service throughout, always ready to move umbrellas, as well as provide drinks or snacks. My children will confirm that their milkshakes are superb!

The pool itself is a true wonder...huge, with built in jacuzzis throughout, as well as a lovely swim up bar with built in seating and even planters with palm trees. It is quite large, so large in fact, that we never felt crowded, even though this is Christmas season. The manager did inform us that the hotel has twice as many sun loungers as it has guests, even at full capacity. Thus, it will never feel full or crowded around the pool.

Speaking of the manager, I have to return to my initial comments that there are really no words to explain the level of service provided by Mr. Klaus Bodo Hund. Not only was he present every day to say hello to his guests, he would also take time out to stop and chat with individuals on a regular basis, making sure everything was satisfactory, suggesting activities that might be of interest, etc. When we informed him of our very late departure from Bangkok, he promptly offered us a complimentary late check-out. Front desk later confirmed that we could stay until 6 pm on our departure day in one of our suites (vacating the other for incoming guests). We were very grateful for this offer. However, Mr. Bodo Hund came by later informing us that he had arranged for us to have not only one, but BOTH suites available until 6 or 7 pm, whichever was needed. I have never in all of my travels experienced better and more present management service.

The onsite restaurant - Caprice - did not let down the rest of the hotel in terms of service and quality. Breakfasts were served on the terrace with efficient and friendly service, greeting our children by name, very quickly understanding our preferences for coffee/juices, etc. The quality of the food was fantastic. The warm croissants rival any French ones, and the eggs Benedict were wolfed down by my son within 5 minutes each day. My personal favourite - yoghurt and exotic fruits - was like a heavenly kiss each morning.
We managed to have two dinners at Caprice, and both were exceptional. The food served (filet mignon, rack of lamb, veal medallions, sea bass) was of a very high standard, and the service was on par. Truly first class. Considering the exceptional standards, we found the prices to be quite reasonable (approximately USD 150 for four people for pre dinner drinks, main courses, wine and dessert).

The Royal Wing Suites and Spa is part of a larger complex of hotels, "The Royal Cliff", and while the Royal Wing does market itself as 'exclusive', it is connected by pathways to the other three hotels. Our impression of the other hotels was that they were a little more rough around the edges, crowded and possibly a little past their prime. The one exception would be the 'infini pool' at the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, which is truly a wonderous thing to behold, and quite the architectural feat.

We did have an excellent meal at the Maharani Indian restaurant at the Royal Cliff. The Italian restaurant at the Royal Grand hotel was not quite as memorable.

Finally, we made use of the shared gym attached to the Royal Cliff, and frankly found it to be a bit of a disappointment. The use of the gym was complimentary, but while the treadmills were of good standard, the rest of the gym seemed a bit run down, not to mention very hot to exercise in. Furthermore, we were not particularly impressed by the staff there, who charged us 100 baht to rent equipment for their 4 hole pitch and putt, but only gave us 1 putter to share between the four of us. When we then lost a golf ball, we were charged an additional 50 baht. Considering the free drinks we were provided with on a daily basis in our minibar, not to mention the chocolates and the free fruit platters, these small charges seemed arbitrary and odd. And also a little irritating. I mean, a golf ball lost - is it really such a big deal that you have to write out an invoice for it?

Just a word about the location: Pattaya is not really a first choice in Thailand for a holiday anymore. It has become quite seedy, busy and lost much of its authentic Thai charm. There are many places more beautiful. HOWEVER. If you want to avoid having to take another flight to an island, and is looking to combine a trip to Bangkok with a relaxing beach and pool holiday, Royal Wing is an obvious choice - and from now on the ONLY choice for us. It is 1.5 hours from Bangkok, close enough to Pattaya to allow visits, but far enough away to be an oasis of beauty, peace and tranquility. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We are so sad to be leaving, and we are already planning our return!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank HeidiToronto_Canada
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience and recommend our luxury hotel with other travelers.

We are so happy you had such a great time with us. Our team really enjoyed taking care of you and your family. I have shared your kind words with our team. They are very grateful. After sharing your comment with our team I can see that they are all inspired to continually maintain this high level of service.

We acknowledged your thoughts about Pattaya. The city is going through significant changes and many new exciting developments will be completed next year to offer tourists a range of activities to do that you cannot find anywhere in the world.

It was an absolute pleasure having you and your family as our guest.

We all look forward to welcome you back to Royal Wing Suites & Spa - Ultimate Luxury!