“Disappointing”

Ranked #40 of 442 Hotels in Pattaya
Dubai
“Disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We decided to stay in this hotel with our three children after a 20 day trip in Vietnam. So I was expecting a nice and relaxing holiday in Royal Cliff. I have booked a two bedroom appartment as well as a transfer from and to the airport, which cost 3000 THB each way. On our way to the hotel, a tyre of our car got flat, and we had to wait on the side of the motorway with our children for 1 hour 15 min for another car to pick us up, because there was no spare tyre in our car. When we arrived there was no excuses from the hotel staff about the incident. When I asked about the price for such a trip, they only gave us 50% discount, although I think that a 5 star luxury hotel (as they call themselves ) must have offered this trip at no cost for us. anyway, it's already nice.
The appartment that we had was nice, with a nice view on the ocean, although quite small for this kind of hotel and for the price. I stayed in bigger appartments for cheaper. The bedrooms were quite small, for example, there was no place to put a bay cot in my children's room, so I had to put it in our bedroom, even then I had to remove a chair from our room. There were no small towels and bathrobes in the room, the slippers have been already used. I called to have the towels but nobody brought them that day.
Next morning, I went to complain at the reception. after this, I got everything I wanted: towels, bathrobes and new slippers and even a fresh fruit platter. That's was nice, but this kind of problem should not have been raised in a luxury hotel from the beginning. The room must be fully prepped before the guests arrive.
Otherwise, the room was comfortable and quiet. The bathroom is big, with a jacuzzi and a shower. there also were two small balconies with plastic (!) chairs and a table.
Otherwise, the hotel is very big, has several swimming pools and many restaurants. The pools look a little old.
Not all the staff speak English. Sometimes we had problems, especially in the restaurants, because of this. They could not advise or explain the menu. the food in the restaurants was good though, we went to the Italian, Thai restaurants and the beach restaurant (breezeo) and always ate well, and not too expensive.
The breakfast offered a lot of choice but the staff always looked very stressed! It was especially there that they did not speak english. I needed a big bowl for my baby cereals and sometimes I had to ask several time before I could get it. On the terrasse there were no cushions on the wooden chairs, only on our last day we had the cushions. The omlette station was clearly super busy, the only cook preparing omelettes had several people waiting, why not to put another cooker there? Sometimes, there were no clean plates available, because the staff did not notice or just did not have enough time to put new ones.
In general, we spent quite good time there, not what I expected but still nice. The thing is that I was expecting much more from the hotel which is 5 star and called luxury. This is not luxury!!! It's just a good 4-5 star hotel.
Internet is of course not free.
Briefly, it's a good hotel, but do not expect too much!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Glandois
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about Royal Cliff Beach Terrace and for choosing to stay with us.

I was happy to see that your overall rating was good (4 out of 5 points) but was concerned to learn that some part of your experience was not satisfactory.

In particular, I extend my apologies for the fact that the car broke down during your transfer from the airport since I too have 2 small boys and I only can imagine how inconvenient it must have been to wait for the replacement car.

I have scheduled a meeting with the Limousine Service Provider (this service is outsourced) to give them a stern warning as they neglected to provide service levels as agreed with us (car should carry spare wheel). From our Guest Relation staff I understand that they actually negotiated on your behalf to convince the Limousine Service to reduce the charge by 50% and I will give them acknowledgement for assisting you and taking initiative.

Your comments about the room size, bathrobe, towels, breakfast service and the English communication level were discuss amongst the managers.

Once, I have their review results we will devise plans and actives to eliminate the weaknesses you pointed out. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Quality and continuous improvement is of great importance here at Royal Cliff Hotels Group as it helps us to further grow our reputation and improve guest satisfaction.

We trust that your last experience will not deter you to visit Royal Cliff Hotel Group again in the future since your recent experience does not reflect the actual level of service provided.

We all look very much forward to welcome you back in not to distant future.

Christoph Voegeli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed over a long weekend for our family with 3 small children in a 2-bedroom suite. The rooms are nice and clean, has small living area for kids to play and watch TV, kids also loved the bathtub/jacuzzi in the master bedroom. Breakfast was a bit crowded but has lots of selections. There are lots of choices for lunch and dinner at the hotel ranging from Thai, Japanese and westerns. My wife and I put the kids to bed early for a romantic. We went to the Grill Room. Food was excellent and the service was impeccable.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your generous comments about Royal Cliff Beach Terrace.

I was happy to read that you and your family enjoyed the room and facilities.

Thank you as well for your comments on the breakfast and your dinner at the Royal Grill Room which will be great pleasure for me to pass that on to our Food and Beverage Team.
We trust we will be able to welcome you back to Royal Cliff Hotel Group for another visit very soon and we hope that you will take that opportunity to try the other award winning (11) Restaurants in the resort. In advance, on behalf of the Team and Management I convey our appreciation for posting your feedback on the Tripadvisor Restaurant section after your next stay.

We all look very much forward to welcome you back for another memorable stay with Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity and Fascination.

Best Regards,

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

What made this hotel - super ..?
1.Staff - awesome - so helpful - Catch sherwin the Guest relations officer, - he stood on his head for us.
2.the rooms - fabulous for the family - we got a double bed room apartment - the kids loved the Tub / jacuzzi in the room.
3.Pitch and putt golf, - a great fun activity for family, My wife, 2 children and me - played. its not often that you get all 4 people in the family to do the same activity - unless its something like swimming.
4. the Spa was super ... the sea and view from the spa room amazing.. and the treatment was an experience.
5. Two pools.... one was a infinity pool - a pool bar.. you really don't need to go into the city of pattaya for anything...

Downside...
1. Not a great option for Veggie food - well BKK is a bit tough on vegetarians.
enjoy..

if you are in Pattaya - don't even think of any other place....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace - Exotic luxury.

I am delighted to hear that your family enjoyed their stay at Royal Cliff. We are also happy to hear that our staff, food and facilities met your expectations. I will pass your excellent feedback to our team. We are now in the process of adding even more facilities in the future.

With regards to the vegetarian menu I have already spoken to chef and we will create more options for diners. Thank you for your feedback on this.

We look forward to your return to Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity and Fascination!

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had our family from Klek (Serbia) visiting so we decided to spoil them so we decided to come to Royal Cliff resort.We had FANTASTIC stay.Rooms were fantastically clean and staff very helpful and very friendly.They made our stay even more enjoyable.
We had a Great dinner at the Breezeo food and the view were fantastic and staff very friendly.
I would HIGHLY recommend this Hotel to anybody that enjoys good food,cleanliness and great staff to stay at this property.
I have to mention Khun Pairat at the pool bar, he mixes mean Cocktails.GREAT !!!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Royal Cliff Terrace, room 215 great view, jacuzzi, very quiet. Just PERFECT !!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace.

I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at Royal Cliff. We are also happy to hear that our staff, food and facilities met your expectations. I will pass your excellent feedback to our team. We are now in the process of adding even more facilities in the future.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. We stayed in one of the family suites for ten days and couldn't fault anything about the room, service, food, facilities or the location.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is thinking about travelling to Pattaya

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your compliments. We are delighted you had a wonderful time with us. Our Family Suite was recently renovated.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Royal Cliff in the near future.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions with my family but this time I was taking my mum and friend so I was a bit anxious that it would not live up to my previous experiences. I need not have worried, it was just as magnificent as it always had been, the service was impeccable. I must make special mention of Somchai A. Who workes in the restaurant where we had breakfast, he made us feel so special. He was polite, courteous, efficient, professional, friendly and so humble. I would also like to make special mention of the Grill Roon. My family and I always made certain that we ate here on previous holidays as it has always been superb. I don't feel it is promoted enough by the hotel. Upon check in there is nothing to give information or menus to the various restaurants in the hotels, I only knew of the grill room because I'd been there before and it was amazing as it always had been before. The service and food was amazing, please do not leave this hotel without having a meal at the Grill Roon. The only criticism I have would be the transportation into Pattaya, it used to be 200 baht and you went to a kiosk to get a receipt. Now a member of steff at the door calls a car over to the door and we were told it was 300 baht. However when we were dropped off at mike shopping centre the driver wanted 400 baht and became quite aggressive when I refused to give him mre than 300 baht which to be honest is very expensive for the short journey. It will only cost 100-150 to get back again. I do think this is quite a serious issue as the driver was very intimidating and if it had been my first time in Thailand I probably would have given him the 400 baht. However pleas don't let this put you off, this hotel is very special.

Room Tip: I have only ever stayed at the terrace but im sure nothing would be disappointing
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for always choosing to stay at Royal Cliff Hotels Group. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations. I will share your encouraging words with my team.
Thank you for the feedback on the restaurant promotions. I have already let my staff know about this comment. We will look into the transportation issue.

We look forward to your return.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us to other travelers.

Joachim Grill
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

This is the fourth time staying in this amazing hotel. Service and attentionn to details is amazing. The best hotel yet and I look forward to returning again in December. I would not travel anywhere else.

Room Tip: Mini suite with sea View
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cork97
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, General Manager at Royal Cliff Beach Terrace, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you so much for returning to Royal Cliff. It is always a great pleasure for us to welcome back our regular guests. Thank you also for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I will inform my team of your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Royal Cliff Beach Terrace in December.

Joachim Grill