“Hotel ok, location good”

Jomtien Thani Hotel
Ranked #162 of 442 Hotels in Pattaya
London, United Kingdom
“Hotel ok, location good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Check in was quick and hassle free, having booked through Agoda. Hotel is showing its age with all aspects looking dated however it is not billed as a luxury hotel. The location is the biggest plus factor for this hotel, within easy distance to shops and restaurants and a short 10 baht ride to downtown Pattaya. That said the water pressure in my room was pretty poor and breakfast was fairly basic though all the usual items were there, cereals, fruit, bread/toast, egg station etc.I was surprised at the lack of basic English by the staff, especially in a large hotel like this (and I doubt their Russian was any better!)

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms may have better water pressure
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bachus_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel needs a renovation, outdated rooms. Very simple breakfast was reasonable. But absolutely no atmosphere here. The area is ok, many restaurants and close to the beach.
There were many Russians in the hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Pattaya hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Walls of the room were invery poor condition, with the exception of one having new(ish) wallpaper. Very difficult to regulated water temperature in shower. Breakfast is adequate but lacking. Used, in the most part, for Eastern European tourists the staff at the property were ok but overall it was a dark and miserable place to stay. Large holes in foyer ceiling that drip water constantly. The pool is located directly above. Was glad to check-out.
There are less expensive, superior properties located close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea. You will have a balcony. The hotel is non smoking but this is allowed...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hoi An, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

It was the first time our group used the Jomtien Thani Hotel and we were very happy a with the customer service. The booking form didn't register properly that we wanted twin, not double, rooms, but the staff coped well with shuffling us around into twin rooms. Swimming pool area is a nice place to relax on 4th floor and gym on that floor is basic but sufficient for a few people. Buffet breakfast was satisfactory with lots of fruit. Overall' a positive stay and would stay here again. Very good value for money in comparison with similar places around. Difficulty opening safes during the day.

Room Tip: Twin beds are usually more comfortable than doubles
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mjinvietnam
Leidschendam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Very good location. Close to golf of Thailand. The water in this golf is very warm, so it was better to use the excellent swimming pool at the hotel. The hotel is not new. You can see that starting from elevators. Room was clean, but nothing special. The view from our 9th floor room was excellent facing the gulf. The stuff of the hotel were very helpful and friendly. If you need to travel or organize trips, the best way to do it is through Wanna Go travel across from hotel. We arranged to travel to Phuket from Utapao Airport which is very nice and only 50 minutes drive. A great excursion is to Nongnooch botanical garden and the Floating Market we hired a private driver for 1000 baht. A great restraint is the Surf Restraunt on the Main Street. If you want to go to Pattaya you can take tuktuk to walking street for 20 baht to have a fun. Weather was more than 32 durin the day and nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Olga R
Stuttgart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Brilliant view to the sea – excellent breakfast – very friendly and helpful staff at the reception desk – nice swimming pool.
Furniture in the deluxe room very old and a bit run down and not suitable to a 4*-hotel – bathroom not to standard – expensive Internet (300 Bath a day!) - only three elevators which may cause longer waiting times - absolutely overpriced unless you have a special offer – beach is not very nice and not inviting for swimming - area and shops near the hotel are not interesting but you can easily take the Bath taxi to areas near bye

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The lobby looked okay. But when I got to my room porter dumped bag and waited for his tip. The bathroom fittings were old and protruding from the tiles in the wall. A dark 'peephole' next to shower made me feel uncomfortable. Mould on ceiling. For three days I had dirty brown water coming out of shower but I was suffering terrible bronchial infection so did not have energy to complain. Water eventually cleared up. I had attended reception to complain about the water and they told me to wait in my room for the 'engineer'. I waited two hours and called back asking what had happened. No apology. They just told me to wait again for him to arrive, which he did about five minutes later.
I paid online for a room with double bed which cost me USD $53 per night. That included buffet breakfast daily. Breakfast finished at 10am which was too early for me, but I wasn't missing out on much. The buffet was ordinary so I preferred to eat out anyway.
Air conditioning in room was an old unit but worked okay. The balcony had a view of pool and beach to my left.
I was on 6th floor which is one of the floors where the water pressure was good, but hot water was not on all the time and I had to accept lukewarm water at times which was not good when I was having chills from fever.
SINGLE MEN be warned. I met a girlfriend when I was there and I asked her back to my room. The hotel slugged me with a 500 Baht 'visitor' fine. I argued that the price for a room with double bed was the same for one or two people - i.e. I had effectively paid for two people already. The hotel staff agreed but stated that because my room only listed one guest I still had to pay. I tried to further explain this lack of logic and unfairness but they would not change their mind. So if booking online - book for two guests so you can argue that you have already paid for two people.
I was so annoyed I told them I would not be coming back here and they just replied, 'Ka'. In other words they don't care.
The pool is not clean and has a lot of thin grease on the surface. There is algae in the tiles which makes me think that they don't use enough chlorine. The pool is 1.5 metres and is the same level for the whole pool. So no deep area.
The hotel limits how many towels it will provide for the pool. The Russian tourists (which make up about 90% of the guests) grab them all early so there is never any left. The wooden beams around the pool are loose and a couple of times I almost tripped over.
There are no umbrellas at all for the sundeck chairs, which seems to suit the Russian tourists who just want to bake in the sun and get tans, but for others it is uncomfortably hot and there is no shade except for a small hut that a couple of deck chairs are under and most certainly already reserved.
The hotel advertises a fully equipped gym which is a blatant lie and was one of the reasons I booked online. There are two cross trainers, one rowing machine and an exercise bike. All of that equipment is about twenty years old and all are faulty so you need patience to finally get one to work. There is a bench and a rack of dumbbells from 1kg to 10kg only. The fitness room is tiny, has no air conditioning and gets incredibly hot and humid inside. A window faces the pool and allows the sun to pour in. Extremely disappointing as I had booked this hotel from Australia expecting a decent fitness room and equipment. There is a pool room next to fitness room but is not in use and has become a storage room for furniture (basement level is undergoing major renovation). So pool tables could not be used. They charge 150 baht an hour to use pool table anyway.
The massage centre at the hotel next to fitness centre is deceiving so BE WARNED: if you want to go for a normal massage they advertise 300 baht an hour but in small print you must have minimum 2 hour massage = 600 baht. For most 2 hours is too long.
WI-FI is not free in this hotel. They have packages ranging from 150 baht per day to 800 baht per week. The Wi-Fi connection in the hotel is good and I could get good reception in my room.
The hotel room TV was an old 34cm TV cathode ray tube version. The reception on each channel was terrible with static all over the screen. It seems that some rooms are lucky to get a flat screen but not me.
The hotel provides two free bottles (small) of water per day.
The cleaners are good and polite. But some of the bed sheets I got, although clean, had blood and other stains on them. The bed was nice and flat though.
Some of the towels could be replaced with some of the towels I received with holes in them.
The lift man upon seeing my girlfriend later seemed to be asking me to meet girls from Issan. He could not speak English well but he got on my nerves daily as every time he saw me he asked 'you have girl tonight?' If I shook my head he burst into laughter. I felt uncomfortable.
One of the liftmen though was very polite and even saluted every time.
I saw maintenance men a number of times on my floor (6) working on leaking pipes and doing major repairs causing massive carpet stains.
BE WARNED: If you get food and drinks from outside and them take them with you to the pool the hotel will fine you over 1000 Baht.
BE WARNED: The pool shuts at 6pm. I found this out when I went for a dip about 5.45pm. On 6pm the rude male employee was waving me out and telling me to get out. Very rude. But the next day I saw a group of Russians in the pool and he did not say a word and in fact other Russian guests entered the pool after 6pm. It seems if you are alone then you are a target (I am Australian as well so not really their target guest market).
The hotel is obviously intended to cater for Russian tourists mainly with Russian tour information and Russian language that seems to be predominant. Expect to be kept awake with loud talking and arguments at night.
Also, my room had a separating common door that linked to the next guest room. Whilst there, three different couples had moved into that room and every time tried to open my door scaring me to death in the middle of the night.
Be careful to lock your balcony door because it would be easy for people to jump over adjoining balcony. Brochure advertises that you can enjoy fresh breeze on balcony. It was just hot and humid with stagnant air the whole time probably because my hotel overlooked the bland looking pool.
Room though did have a security safe which was good.
There is a bar directly opposite the hotel which I went in one hot day to get a cold Coke. I was accosted by a transvestite whom I tried to be polite with. But as I left it yelled out disgusting comments. Daily when I would go past to go into hotel I could hear the yells from the transvestites making lewd crude remarks. Otherwise the hotel is very conveniently located to restaurants, bars and Jomtien beach.
Upon leaving the hotel the porter took my bag to taxi and I tipped him. No thanks. Nothing. I was glad to get the hell out of there. Overall the hotel is very rundown, has poor facilities, basic buffet, over priced, false advertising regarding fitness centre. A very boring hotel and very basic pool with no shade anywhere. My opinion: DON'T GO THERE. There's plenty of other much better places with much better facilities and cheaper.

Room Tip: Don't book a high floor or you will have no water pressure. I have been told that Level 6 (wher...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo